Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse | Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute ( http://www.doemens.org ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

Added by MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Ratings: 1,398 |  Reviews: 582
3.07/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

3.08/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -24%

A - Cloudy yellow with a small head, ton of floaty yeast or something in there. Nice dissipation leaving some very intricate lacing around.

S - Yeast and malty with a tart smell. Apples and pears come through on the nose.

T - Quite tart, but not quite sharp enough. A little creamy, pear taste is just a little too much like juice to be good. Don't get me wrong, pretty pleasant to drink, but missing the sharpness of the berliner weisses that I prefer. Nice yeast hints with some malts appearing on the backend.

T - Creamy, slipperly, light. Would have liked a touch more carbonation.

D - For some reason this beer just was not super drinkable for me, surprising considering the low ABV. Maybe it's just the sweetness becoming overpowering. Had trouble getting through the single bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

Very funky and barnyardy, peppery, herbal, lot's of funk and bitterness.

May be an infected and or old keg. Underwhelming.

3.14/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a cloudy thick yellowish orange color with a one finger foamy white head that quickly disappears, leaving no lacing. Kind of sludgy looking and unappealing.

Citrusy aroma with hints of corriander and orange peel as well as some funky sour tartness. Slightly spicy with hints of peppery lemon zest.

Funky sour version of a heffe. Bready yeaty bosy with hints of corinader, lemon and orange peel as well as some subtle grapefruit and ripe banana. The tartness is subtle and not as dominant as I was expecting and/or hoping for. Slightly tart finish but otherwise just tastes like a muddy earthy german wheat beer.

3.15/5  rDev -23%

pours a semi-hazy sunshine yellow, with a large white bubbly head, live carbonation, and not much of a lacing.

smell is of wheat, light citrus, and a touch of spice.

taste is crisp, lots of lemon (too much), and yeast, ends on the sour side.

overall tastes better than it look or smells, refreshing, leaves mouth clean.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

3.21/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a hazy light yellow with a huge head and a ton of carbonation.

Aroma is bubblegum, green apple, hay and loose tobacco.

Taste is similar to the aroma with wheat and some green apple tartness, but not super tart. I don't pick up any lacto. The finish is relatively dry and slightly tart.

Overall, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It just tasted like a boring, fizzy wheat beer with a little bit of tartness. I'll conclude that I prefer the modern American Berliners with a more robust lacto component than this traditional Berliner.

3.24/5  rDev -20.8%

Very citrus smell with west but too carbonated for my taste.

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

a huge wheatiness spews forth. spice also, and it really smells like a wit. as i would have expected: some tartness. the head was huge up front, and fell steadily. very light, slightly hazy

the tartness is quite a bit more prevalent in the taste, and really carries the rest of the flavor profile on its back. some sweetness, but the citricity is the most noticeable of the flavors. coriander and other spices come through. caraway?

3.27/5  rDev -20%

16.9 oz bottle served in a snifter

A - light yellow with particles, plenty of sediment despite careful pour.

S - not entirely pleasant

T - Surprise! Pleasant and shockingly tart. Typical German weisse flavor underneath but dominated by slightly fruity tartness.

M - tartness is main feature of the mouthfeel.

O - not being a fan of middle-of-the-road German weisse, I actually prefer this tart variant.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

The aroma has sour wheat, sour kraut, barley, and yeast with virtually no hops. The appearance is hazy with gold color and a nice head. The flavor is sour but not overly so and very much like the aroma. The palate is thin but just right. Overall it's close to being good.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Live review. Poured from the "1 pint, .9oz" bottle that I purchased at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few days ago for $2.99 into my SN Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Huge, 4 inch white meringue like head that stuck around for a few minutes. The head was very active, popping with carbonation as it dissipated rather quickly down to a trace island in the middle of the beer. Body is very light yellow, kind of boring. 3.5

S Effervescent, citrus, barley smells. Beer also smells "light." 3.0

T/M Very light feel, bubbly, effervescent with carbonation dancing across my tongue in a light, citrusy dance. Taste is not very strong frankly with some light citrus and distant barley tastes. I cannot say that I really like this taste as it is too distant for me. Festina Peche (the only other Berliner Weisse that I rated) was more flavorful. 3.0

D Highly drinkable and I am sure refreshing on a hot day, say after yardwork or something. This thing is that I would not reach for this in that situation, I would probably go with a more tasty and more available beer such as SNPA. 4.5

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours straw colored, cloudy as the bottle gets towards the bottom. Nothing really as far as head or lacing goes.

Smells like tart, lemony funk.

Taste is light, tart through and through. Dry lemon flavors, some barnyard-style funk and not too much else.

A bit fizzy and very light.

This one is as easy to drink as seltzer water. Nothing bad here at all, and while I've never had a Berliner Weissbier before, I'd like my sour beers with a bit more going on than this.

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

Serving: poured from 500ml bottle into Blue Moon weizen glass.

Appearance: wow! huge frothing head that forced me to ease up on the pour. Clear straw yellow color with vigorous carbonation. Fun to watch the head from the top as it actually surges and bubbles for minutes.

Smell: dry with a hint of lemon citrus. Slight wheat smell.

Taste: dry with lemon, then you get the intense bitter sourness.

Mouthfeel: light, extremely carbonated and dry, slightly mouth puckering.

Overall: Very interesting, almost like a mix of a dry champagne and sugarless European citrus soda with some wheat grounding it in beer territory. While I am willing to try this style again, I found the dry sourness to be a bit intense. Luckily I was able to pair this with some food (baked salmon), but I do not think I would drink this without food.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

poured crisp clean yellow with hints of orange and copper. light fizzy head that quickly disappeared. little to no retention or lacing.

light vinegar with hints of funk and lemon. light malt presence.

light sweetness. very light lemonhead like flavor. malts were a bit dominant but blended with the sweetness.

light to moderate carbonation. not much dryness but a bit.

i was a bit let down by this. not as pronounced as i'd like or have come to known. lacks dominating flavors and is more or less a bit bland. overall, probably would not seek out that often but easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

3.36/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours golden, big white head. Lots of floaties.

S: Apple ciderish nose, citrus rind, accented with some must.

T/M: Tartness is present but subdued. Impression of lemons and yeasty bread. Light in body, high in carbonation.

O: A refreshing beer, excellent with a light meal with enough flavor to stand on its own. I liked the White Birch Berliner Weiss better, however.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem