Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier | Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute ( http://www.doemens.org ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

Added by Slatetank on 07-29-2008

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a clear honey amber with a hint of a head that dissipated immediately to a ring around the glass, no lacing. Amazing aroma of rosemary, bay leaves, ginger, apple juice, light citrus; other unidentifiable aromatic herbs. Much like a kitchen dried potpourri. Starts with apple and pear juice, light grape juice; slightly vinous, aromatic herbs dominated by rosemary, slightly sweet. Finishes abruptly with dry, earthy herbs, leaving a light, but pleasant dried herb aftertaste. Light bodied. A very enjoyable reconstruction of this ancient ale style. Although I have greatly enjoyed some of the other, sweeter, gruit reconstructions from Scottish and American breweries, this one struck me as more authentic. A part of me wished for a bit more ABV to bring out the intensity of the bittering herbs. I like this Professor Briem series and am glad that he is bringing these old styles back to life.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Cloudy, golden straw color, with a fair amount of floating particulate matter. Head was lackluster (I may have been a little too gentle with my pouring) and faded quickly, leaving a fine lace behind.

S: A mix of champagne and apple cider are the first to greet the nose. Fruity yields to spicy, with aromas of ginger, pepper, and the faintest hint of menthol.

T: Malt sweetness lasts but a second before a tart fruitiness comes to dominate. The raw ginger that was soft in the nose is quite potent on the palate (not like a true ginger beer, but more than enough to grab my attention). As the ginger recedes after a moment, tartness returns with a mildly bitter, herbal finish; a hint of soapy fatty acid lingers on the tongue afterward.

M: Crisp and richly carbonated. Mildly astringent in the finish.

O: Despite a couple of rough edges (the soapy astringency in the finish detracted from the experience slightly), this was a tasty foray Into the sort of beverage our ancestors enjoyed. Not a drink for everyday consumption, but a nice "just because" experience.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Tasted On: 09-05-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 500ml brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Balloon glass
Purchased: Single from Liquor Express, Huntsville AL

Appearance is cloudy and yellow, capped by a foamy white head. I see lots of floating particles in my glass which is unusual. I guess this is part of the grut/gruit spices. Head retention is good but lacing is very sparse.

Aromas are very fragrant, with lots of spices I can't identify plus a lemon citrus fruit character.

Taste is tart and fruity, with green apple, lemon and orange peel. Also has some grape/wine like flavors. As noted in the aromas, there are a lot of spices in the beer, but I can't pick them apart to identify them. The label lists many of these.

Mouthfeel has a medium-level body and a high amount of carbonation. The finish is dry and somewhat tart.

Overall a very unique and interesting beer. I'd like to try some other examples of the style, but would probably not seek out this one again. I'm glad to have tried it, but once is enough for me.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a dulled golden straw, lots of haze and particulate, moderate cap of big bubbles, short lasting. Scent brings a deep bouquet of of presh picked herbs, quite a bit of ginger and sage on the nose, light sugary and fruity sweetness and faintly bready malt. Again, fresh picked herbs everywhere on the tongue, luckily all work well in conjunction with none being overly palate smashing. Little notes of sweet, juicy berries play well with the herbal notes. Lighter side of medium, moderately carbonated. Suprised by how well the taste came together, enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

First sniff on cap removal : Ginger Ale. Pours out looking exactly like a nice cloudy Ginger Ale as well, with a very soda-like carbonation and lack of head. Second sniff in the glass reveals the complex aromas of the gentian, anise, and oily piny rosemary that needed the disruption of the pour to stand out. The Bay leaves stay in the background of the nose, thankfully. (I have a personal bias against Bay aroma)

First Sip : Texturally is exactly like a ginger ale as well. Light body and soda feel. Flavor...is very much like a conglomeration of mint, a very dry and spicy hot ginger ale, anisette, and a light wheat-like sort of malt tartness. More aspects of rosemary and even a bit of fresh squeezed asparagus juice sweet/vegetal flavor combo appear as I take my time with the glass. The Bay leaf hits me as the last guest left in the party at the finish, the obnoxious one that won't leave. (Again, I dislike Bay leaves, YMMV)

Still, the oddball herbalism that is contained within WORKS. I can tell that every component has been carefully counter-balanced against each other for the net gain of something better than the sum of it's parts. Well worth experiencing if you can get your hands on it.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

500 ml bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours hazy golden straw color with a small 1 finger foamy white head with decent retention, that reduces to nearly nothing. Minimal lacing clinging to the glass. Aromas of lemon, apple, wheat, pepper, clove, herbal, floral, earth, anise, and steak sauce; seriously, steak sauce. Some very interesting aromas with good strength and decent balance. Taste of lemon, pear, apple, wheat, rosemary, basil, ginger, pepper, clove, anise, and herbal spiciness. Very slight tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruit, spices, herbs, wheat, and pepper on the finish for a very short bit. Nice flavor balance and complexity; quite dry on the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very crisp and clean mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with no warming present on the finish at all as expected. Extremely easy to drink. Overall this is a nice Gruit style ale. The aromas were certainly interesting; but the taste was nicely balanced and very smooth. This was quite enjoyable.

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Lots of sediment floating around. Straw yellow body. Little bit of off white head.

Aroma has a lot of lemon, ginger, pick up a bit of the ains. If i didn't know better the aroma would push me towards thinking this was a sour blond.

Light flavors. More lemon. Def picking up the rosemary now a little bit of the bay as well. Very herbal quality.

Very interesting beer. Easy to dink. Low alcohol and low carbonation goes down easy. Not my favorite, but worth giving a shot on a hot summer day.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

500ml bottle poured into tulip 16/7/12 cheers Masterski and Sean9689 for sending me the bottle

A cloudy pale orange with heaps of sediment all throughout, a thin but well sustained cap leaves a single ring of lace

S lots of ginger hit me on the first whiff, some bay leaves, lemon, herbal tea, and a bit of a sweet whipped egg meringue thing going for it and some fennel and floral notes. Smells different but great

T some apple cinnamon pie perhaps, its slightly sour with some cider notes, not as strong as the nose but most of what I smell's still there in one form or another

M lots of big bubbles in a fairly light body, fairly refreshing even with some tannins, spicy aftertaste lingers with some ginger

O something different but I really liked it, interesting mix of flavors and I never wrapped my head around it before my glass was empty

different can be good, I enjoyed this one for sure, strange at first but it quickly grew on me and ended up going down pretty fast.
I still have a few styles too try but this one brings me a little closer to hitting them all

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Three fingers of one of the fizziest beers I've seen in a long time. It's actually kind of amazing how fizzy it is considering how big it got. White color that quickly turned into a fine lace. Golden straw hue with some sediment. Slightly cloudy. Honestly this is hard to judge because I've never had one before.

S: Wow this is incredibly fragrant. I get lots of fruity notes along the lines of a sweet apple but then it's all herbs. I get the rosemary/bay leaves primarily. Especially the bay leaves. And ginger. Wow! It's exciting to smell something so different. Some grain too.

T: I don't even know how to classify this... but I do know it's good! I thought the spices were going to hit me over the head, but they're actually pretty well balanced. Granted I can definitely taste them but they're not overtaking the beer. I get a lot of tangy wheat flavors as well. Then lots of the bay leaf and ginger. This isn't nearly as sweet as I thought it'd be. It's fairly dry and really good! I can't get over how surprising this beer is.

M: Light body with great carbonation. Some mild creaminess. Great!

O: Huge surprise in how much I like this beer. I would actually drink it on occasion! Not every week but definitely atleast once a month! Nice work Fritz

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Looks like a witbier. Hazy pale golden with a big white head. Settles down to a quarter finger. Some lacing.
S- Wow the nose is a big kick. Ginger gets all up and powerful. There is a light floral aroma. I am picking a bit of the advertised anise too.
T- Very spicy on the tongue. The ginger hits big here. There is a bit of a lemon juice note. A fairly present wheat base.
M- Quite light body. Fairly crisp carb.
O- This is fun. This isn't an every kind of night of beverage, but this is just a fun and different kind of drink.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Much lighter than I was actually expecting, but still a nice looking beer. Very pale, light straw color. Quite a lot of head and no lacing, with a fair amount of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The beer is hazy, with some very VERY loose sediment.

S: Intensely spicy smelling. Lots of floral notes and yeast.

T: Very light and crisp, with lots of ginger, nutmeg, some slight rosemary. This almost tastes like a spice cake in a glass, but with a really crisp and light body. It is surprisingly dry on the finish.

M: Light and crisp with a lot of carbonation. Maybe too light.

O: A very good beer. Interesting to say the least, and full of great flavors. I would definitely drink this again.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%