Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier | Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute ( http://www.doemens.org ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

Added by Slatetank on 07-29-2008

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear orange body with minimal head and little lace. Aroma is spicy and not something one usually finds in a beer - anise and ginger stick out. Medium bodied beer that is a little sticky and sweet, yet balanced with spices like anise, ginger and rosemary. Clean beer, easy to drink, nice finish. Not your typical beer (i.e. ipas, stouts) and was well worth trying.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From bottle at Rattle n Hum, NYC. You think you know beer? Nah ha! This will open your eyes. Nose says lemon-ish, Bay leaves? Yesiree, Bob. Not only are all those ancients present they exist within harmoniously. I`m left with a feeling of want & deprivation because there are no more in the cellar & I want.

I`ll stop here because I'm afraid my praise will distance me from my next bottle.

I've said too much.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I've been wanting to get my hands on this brew for quite some time and low-and-behold
it shows up at the beer store next door to my place! This is going to be a perfect treat as my
weekend starts now...

Pours up cloudy gold with a quickly fading, frizzy white head. Lots of yeast balls nestled into
the bottom of my Duvel chalice. The nose is what'll blow your dick off. It smells of ginger, anise,
rosemary, menthol, lemon peel, mango, licorice. Amazing! Taste is not as diversified. Tart,
oranges, lemons, white pepper, pale malts, floral hops. Spritzy carbo, medium leaning light
bodied. The best gruit I've ever had! Find this and drink this. You won't be dissapointed

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier from Professor Fritz Briem