Professor Fritz Briem Grodziskie | Professor Fritz Briem

Liked:
3.75/5
Alströms:

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured into my Aventinus Weizenstarkbier glass, just for fun (I love that glass).

Unassuming to the eye, it appears as a dark-apricot-colored, slightly-hazy (but not very) ale. Then the fun begins.
The nose is wheaty and earthy with a slight fruit quality: pears, bananas, and persimmons.
On the tongue, it comes to life: a pleasantly present (but not overwhelming) amount of smoke, mixed with a nice wheat-barley balance (think American wheat ale rather than Hefeweizen or Wit), and a sufficiently bitter backdrop. The sourness is more implied than overt, although them that do not like sour beers may disagree on that point.
The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with an appropriate snap at the end.

I can't get enough of this beer, and am glad my LBS is well-stocked with them! Another winner from Professor Fritz. I'm enjoying mine with a charcuterie plate that includes some Welsh mustard cheese -- the combination of it with the beer is PERFECT.

Now, if I can just find a recipe to brew this at home...

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a weizen glass. I like smoky beers and I like wheat beers, so I'm thinking I'll like this.

Appearance: lightly hazy golden wheaten-ale hue. Head is a thick finger of frothy, pillowy white foam. There's also a nice, moderate effervescence to this beer.

Smell: an absolutely wonderful combination of banana-like hefeweizen aroma and a light but integral smoky component. This is my first Grätzer, but I hope it's not my last.

Taste: good smoky flavor right up front; underlying this is a wonderful flavor of wheat and some more banana-ey esters, although more limited than in the aroma. The flavor is exceptionally smooth and beautifully composed. Love it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of well-integrated carbonation. I don't know if it's the wheat or what, but this thing is delightfully creamy and just wonderful on the tongue.

Overall: I was hoping I would like this beer. Now I think it might be one of my absolute favorites. Wonderful!

On another note, I hope the Bros add a Grätzer style to the site. I would love to be able to explore this style in more depth.

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy light orange with a finger of white head, sticky lace.

S: Smells like a mix of a rauchbier and a hefe. Banana, wheat malt, and bubblegum.

T: Sweet smoke flavour with a definite yeasty component, wheat malt, bread.

M: Crisp carbonation, light to medium-bodied, refreshing, very drinkable. Acidity is minor but adds a nice touch.

O: Aside from Bootlegger's Wildfire Wheat, I've never had a smoked wheat beer. This is great, more brewers should do this, it'd be great for a BBQ.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours cloudy amber crowned by a 1” sudsy white foam collar. Some cling.
S: Slight funk, light smoke, ripe fruit, light grains.
T: It’s a fairly dry drink with a little funk, sour, salt and smoke supported by light grains with some spiciness in the background.
F: Refreshing, light body with medium carbonation.
O: A light, refreshing, unique and interesting beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25