Daymark | Rising Tide Brewing Company

DaymarkDaymark

Rising Tide Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Rye Beer

Chart a new course with Daymark as your guide. We start with a classic, clean and crisp American pale ale brewed with spicy Columbus and Centennial hops. Then we accent the grain bill with rye grown on small local family farms right here in Maine and malted to our specifications at Valley Malts, an artisanal malt house. Finally we dry hop the finished beer for a bright floral aroma.

Added by dciBA on 04-13-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 289
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle courtesy of the ever generous Bill. Poured into the big Sam Adams perfect pint glass that almost holds the whole bomber.

A - golden yellow at the top light yellow at the bottom a big fluffy yellow tinted head. Pretty clear. Honestly for appearance it doesn't get any better than this.

S - A nice light hoppy aroma, some citrusy hop aromas , a hint of sweetness. Smells pretty nice.

T - Not as balanced as the nose would suggest, definitely a little hoppier than expected but I won't complain. The C hops make their presence known with some citrus flavors, a little light grainy note in the finish. A lemony hint in the finish with a little rye presence but not much in that department.

M - light to medium bodied, more carbonation than I'd like in the beer. This is the only real negative to this beer.

Overall a solid beer. A little less carbonation and a little less from the hops and this would be a home run. That being said it is enjoyable as is and I wouldn't mind throwing back a bunch of these.

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber, no date to be found.

Pours a cloudy light amber with a massive head. A bit overcarbonated but my, this head is nice. Pillowy eggshell, very clingy.

The aroma is excellent, with big citrusy and spicy West coast hop notes.

The flavor is very bitter, and a bit unbalanced. Borders on astringent. Hop flavor is spicy, accentuated by the rye malt. A very dry beer, which I appreciate, but the bitterness is too much. Mouthfeel is a touch overcarbonated, but still manages to be somewhat creamy.

A great-looking and -smelling beer, but just too unbalanced for my taste in Pale Ales.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Had a Rising Tide offering on-tap at a bar in Portland, ME that was quite good and made a point of picking up a bottle on my way out of Maine.

A: Pours a cloudy golden-orange colour with a very tall, fuzzy, and somewhat creamy, stark-white coloured foam head. Very good retention and very good lacing.

S: Plenty of citrus in the form of tart grapefruit, lots of pine, caramel sweetness, and faint bready malts in the background.

T: Similar to smell, with tart citrus and bitter pine complimented nicely with a robust malt backbone. Very clean tasting (despite the hazy look) and very refreshing.

M: Quite good for the ABV with a creamy mouthfeel and a good amount of carbonation. Slightly resiny and earthy which is a plus here.

D: Would happily drink another. This is a crisp and refreshing pale ale with a lot of grapefruit character. Plus, the bottle logo is pretty cool.

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber back in May while visiting Kennebunkport. Poured into a stemmed beer glass. Way over carbonated. It foamed way up in the glass, and while I was tending to that, it spewed out of the bottle and all over the table. Unfortunate. Once it settled down, I was able to continue. Hazy sunshine yellow color with a fine white head. Smell had a pungent aroma of tangy hops. Taste was excellent. Lots of spicy hops, but a bit of malt to help things out, then a nice dry crispness at the end. I liked the mouthfeel a lot - very fresh and assertive. This is a very nice beer that I enjoyed a lot and was glad to try, except for the overflow accident.

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint glass.

Out of the bottle this thing foams like crazy. Head is huge and takes long to settle, or dare I say... slowly. White head so foamy and big bubble bath galore, I want to jump and dive in!, with a body that looks like it should be a Hefeweizen. Dull lemon cloudy solid body all throughout very opaque. Monster retention for the head leaving a huge cap, and giant clumpy stickyness. I am a fan! This is like an aggressive looking Hefeweizen. I am blown away by this appearance.

Bouquet is a nice soft grained but dry sense, and of IPA grapefruit feeling. Excellent hop profile very unexpected. Bold lucious.

Lots going on here. Lemon thick juice and grapefruit sugars in the mid palate. Hop bitterness and citrus punch on the swallow of grapefruit. No wet texture at all, pulls the flavor and leaves a somewhat dry finish. Almost even creamy in taste.

Overall.. wow I am a fan!! This is easily the best Rye beer I've had, although it tastes like a very distinct American IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Served on-tap at Novare Res

Nice light golden yellow color with a bit of haze and a fluffy white head. Aroma features some citrus hop notes over a strong bready and malty backbone.

Fruity and sweet up front with a good bite from the hops that provide some herbal character as well. Malts add some biscuit notes with just a bit of a kick from the rye. Really enjoying how this beer balances being both a rye beer and a pale ale.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and plenty refreshing for a nice summer rye beer. Overall, this is my first beer from Rising Tide and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love a good rye beer but have been rather disappointed with many I've had recently so I'm glad this one came along.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Draft at Novare Res

A - Clear golden, with a nice little creamy head.

S - Some nice fruit and a touch of pine hops, and a little spicy caraway on the nose.

T - Very well balanced clean pale ale. This has a hint of honey up front and then an enjoyable piercing bitter to finish with the rye lingering on the tongue.

M - Light-bodied with pretty sharp carbonation.

O - On a warm summer day, this is the kind of beer I'd want. The rye keeps me from drinking too many, but it's incredibly refreshing and a great rye pale ale. Definitely bringing a bomber or two of this home with me.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

hazy golden color with a huge cloud-like white head that fills almost half the Duvel tulip, sticks around a bit, and laces well.

lots of citrus hops and some light bread and honey sweet malts that balance very nicely. some lemon zest, wild flowers, and grass clippings. not getting rye in the aroma.

a touch of rye does show up in the flavor adding to the citrus hops and sweet malts. it adds that slightly spicy grainy flavor you would expect in a lightly toasted light rye bread. citrus and slightly bitter hops are strong, but not overpowering as this is a wonderfully balanced flavor.

fluffy almost medium bodied brew that leaves a tingle in the mouth long after the swallow, with a bit of a syrupy finish.

pretty impressive. nothing is out of proportion. balance is key. a touch of rye, a touch of hops, a touch of sweetness -> gone.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle ($5.99 at RSVP in Portland, ME) poured into tumbler. No visible bottling date, although I'm pretty sure this was bottled fairly recently.

A: Pours a hazy-straw yellow with honeydew highlights. Towering 3-finger head with nice retention leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Yeast sediment is quite visible, even on a relatively careful pour.

S: Fresh, spicy hops jump out of the glass. A touch of bread and citrus follows. Appetizing, if not somewhat one-note.

T: Melon-like notes up front, followed by sweet, juicy notes. Hops are nice and in place, resulting in a clean and floral middle. Finish is pleasantly bitter. Well-balanced, for sure.

M: Carbonation is relatively low; I'd like to see it a bit higher. Still, this drinks nice and creamy, and is more viscous than most pales.

O: I've been rather hesitant with Rising Tide ever since my first run-in with Ishmael, which really didn't do much for me. Daymark, though, is a really nice take on a pale - quite reminiscent of fresh Sierra Nevada pale ale. I'm not quite sure if the rye is doing anything here, but at least it doesn't take away from the beer. My only concern would be the somewhat hefty price tag, as this would be very sessionable if it were more affordable.

A floral, juicy pale that serves as a nice addition to the Maine beer scene.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

Big thanks to Drazzamatazz for this Maine gem!

It pours a very cloudy straw color, plenty of hanging yeast in this baby. Crazy off white head lasts for a while then a cap, and some sheets of finely bubbled lace remain on the glass for the ride. Looks like a homebrew, and I mean that in the best possible way. Nice!

Smell is neutral sweet, some spicy rye, citrus hops, light tart which could be the rye but I'm thinking is the yeast. Very enticing aroma, I am drooling as I smell this.

Woahh, really unique flavor to this baby. Unlike the pales I've tried, also unlike the rye ales I've tried, but with good features of both. Rye fronts the sip, and picks up some nice citrus and herbal bitter as well as some nice neutral sweet (but not so sweet as you'd think from the bouquet). Very full flavored, it comes on strong and builds on the palate, with each flavor taking center stage at times as the beer warms. It ends with the citrus picking up its pithy bitter character, and the rye cresting into some nice bitter herbosity. This brew rocks!!

Mouthfeel is a joke rated for style so forget the style rating. It is as viscous as many IIPA's, full of resiny hop and fine particulate yeast goodness, nicely low carb., and a finish that is just short of epic. Giving it a 4 cause this how daddy likes it.

What a surprise to find such a unique flavor and delicious beer. Most of my favorite beers for the last year have been small, unknown, local breweries. Add this one to the list. Highly recommended, thank you Mr. Matazz!!!!

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%

This isn't a style I'm familiar with, however, as a local brewery, I've been wanting to try their beers for a while, and this one interested me the most.

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy wheat color. The color of golden raisins, with a tight stark white head that laces a bit, but doesn't cling. The head settles quickly. The dry hopping gives a good whiff of hops up front. Herbal and fruity. A clean crisp ale, that hits you with a wall of bitterness. Bitters linger deeply in the dry finish. Herbal dry hops with an alcohol kick. Initially, it was a bit much, but you settle into it, and begin to look forward to the next bitter wave. A creamy mouthfeel makes this enjoyable to drink. For some reason I'm thinking of bitter white grape juice fermented with stems. Rugged. Hop oil residue coats the mouth. Peppery spicyness in the back of the throat lingers along with the dry hop. A complex concoction.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bomber poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass - thanks to rfc2323 for the hookup!

Pours a slightly hazy amber/yellow with a honey tint to it, there's a huge two finger white fluffy head. Nose is fantastic - fruity and bitter, a bit earthy/grassy and just a tinge of honey sweetness (think Hopslam).

Well, the first fault comes right off at the start - body is a bit low, I'll attribute this to the rye, carbonation is nice and does make up for a lot of it. There's a solid hop/rye bitterness that bites at your pallate. Finish is a bit harsh in the bitterness but it's still tasty and fairly easy drinking.

3.05/5  rDev -22.8%

So I've been pretty excited about this one. I love rye beers. I poured this into a pint glass and I've simply dissapointed. For the record on ths I bought this a couple weeks ago and it's been sitting upright in my refrigerator since. So here goes. Poured into a pint glass. Lots of creamy white head and soapy lace sitting atop a hazy dirty looking body. It looks like the unfiltered apple juice I buy for my daughter. Giant gobs of yeast are sitting on the bottom of my glass. Better let this settle down a bit in hopes it gets better from here.

So this smells pretty good. Lots of grapefruit in the aroma with a little bit of melon. Bitter citrus hops mostly on this one with a little bit of that kickin' rye scent. So far so good. Bitter musty hops through and through on this. Mostly this is really hoppy with a little bit of melon flavor and rye. Nothing great here.

Decent feel here. This one is a little sticky and the body is a bit heavier than I would like. Nice soft carbonation. Overall this is actually a little dissapointing. I have some bottle of their other offerings so I'm hoping those go better. Damn, this one kind of broke my heart. Maybe I got a bad bottle, so the next batch that I see I'll give it another go. I'll rereview if I need to.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Labeled as an American Pale Ale with locally grown rye.

Pours a pale straw yellow color with a decent haze in the glass, wicked huge white fluffy head that fades at a slow to moderate rate, decent amount of patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell has a nice blend of citrusy hops and sweet malt, the two really balance each other and compliment, I'd say the hops take the edge though.

Taste starts out with a very bitter hop bite to it, follows up with a citrus rind aftertaste which is also slightly bitter, carbonation is sharp and crisp, for a pale ale this drinks rather heavy and bready at times no doubt a result of the rye.

Another very solid beer from Rising Tide, I like that they brew accessible beers with their own little twist on things.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Big thanks to Drazzamatazz for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a hazy golden color. About two fingers of slight off white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates slowly leaving some great looking chunky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Nice floral hops, grass, pine, a hint of citrus, and slight bread/pale malts in the background.

Taste – You can taste the Rye right away. A slightly bitter rush is experienced at the start with the nice floral and pine flavors melding nicely into a slight bready, caramel and pale malt backbone. Not insanely hoppy, but also not overly sweet (huge plus). This is an all around excellent rye beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation, finishes dry from the rye.

Overall – A very enjoyable beer that is extremely drinkable (quaffable if you will). A great amount of flavor for “only” being 5.5%. If they sold this in a six pack, and actually where I live, I would for sure get some of these to have on a hot summer day.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy, almost turbid orange tan color. The medium-sized tan head dissipated quickly.
Sweet fruity aroma. Citrus, but also some other kind of fruit. Herbal.
Sweet fruit up front, but with a tang. Piney hops.
A nice hoppy APA. Rising Tide does it again.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a tapered glass. The color is a hazy orange. There is a gigantic head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of citrus and cantaloupe. There is a bit of sweetness in the aroma to make this all the more appealing, like a fruit salad.

The taste starts out with just a touch of malt sweetness. There is a nice tang that I would attribute to the rye malt; this goes well with the slightly piney hop flavor. The finish is nice, clean, and bitter.

The body is medium and the carbonation is on the creamier side of sharp.

I really love this beer. There is a lot of hop flavor that goes well with the rye malt.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Hoppy pale with rye? Sounds right up my alley. Pours bright yellowy orange, lots of bubbles and a nice thick white head, lacing the glass on the way down. Aromas of floral hops, fresh fields, and bread. The hops are very up front here - grassy, bitter, soapy even, very dry. This is backed by a nice doughy and yeasty body, with nice bit of spice and heft from the rye addition and a slightly fruity finish. Crisp and light on the palate with just the right bitter smacking. Definitely my fav of the three so far from this new Maine brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

A cellar temperature bottle is poured into the center of a pint glass. A huge white bubbly head rises up from the translucent, golden straw colored liquid. Rising carbonation can been seen within. As the head recedes, lots of lacing is left behind.

Daymark has a very good fresh hop aroma. It is slightly bitter and grassy. I can also smell some of the rye malts, which rounds out the nose nicely.

The beer has a crisp, fresh taste. Bitter flavors are present from the get go, and linger after I swallow. There is a touch of sweetness, but it isn't distracting. In fact, I was drinking this beer faster, I would probably miss it. The rye flavors is present, but I find the hops to be the central component. It isn't hoppy as an American Pale Ale, but it does remind me of another new Maine beer, Baxter's Pamola XPA.

Body and carbonation are both mid-range. The beer has the slightest syrupy feel to it; it isn't watery at all and only gives a tiny amount of resistance to being swallowed. A good coat is left behind, one that tingles and possesses some good hop flavors.

As a local, fresh beer, this one is top notch. I can see myself enjoying a few of these this summer. And though the beer lends itself well to summer months, I don't think it would be unwelcome at cooler times. This is definitely a beer worth checking out.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

A really nice brew pours a light yellow color nice sticky lacings on the side, slight head.

Has a nice crisp taste with a slight pine smell. I might have leaded more toward a apa as opposed to a rye beer but that being said I haven't had a lot of experience with rye beers and more than likely is what I am picking up with the smell and taste that makes it a bit different then other apas I have had.

Overall a good beer nice to have on a hot day.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

22oz bottle poured into a Maine Beer Company logo glass

A: Dark yellow/wheat color. Very hazy, opaque. 1 finger white head. Lacing slowly slides down the glass back into the beer

S: Nice hoppy notes, grass and pine. Lemon zest and some other citrus. Very slight sweet caramel (or kettle corn?) and rye scent

T: Hops again display flavors of grass and a little pine. Good balance from the malt and a spicy/earthy bite from the rye. No sweetness as the nose seemed to indicate

M: Light to medium bodied. Slightly dry, rye finish. Seemingly perfect level of carbonation

D: Another winner for Rising Tide. Nice crisp, easy drinking pale with a twist

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into an oversized tulip. The color is a cloudy yellow. About a finger of frothy white head forms and seems to be lingering for a while.

Smell is dominated by hops, but they rye makes it's presence known as well. The hops are citrusy but some spiciness as well that meshes with the rye perfectly. There's also a noticeable bready malt smell to back everything up. Very pleasant on the nose, with not one smell completely overpowering the others.

Flavor is similar. The rye hits your tongue first but isn't strong at all, just the right amount really. A blast of fresh hop flavor follows. The bready malt in the smell mixes into the taste perfectly and balances the beer out perfectly.

Mouthfeel is top notch. The rye adds a nice amount of body to a beer that you wouldn't expect to have after seeing the color. Carbonation is perfect, and the finish is on the dry side. Each sip leaves you with rye flavor that lingers for a while. Overall a very well done beer with the perfect amount of rye flavor and smell.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last