Velvet Glove | Iron Fist Brewing Company

Velvet GloveVelvet Glove

Iron Fist Brewing Company
ironfistbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

You know the expression, "A Velvet Glove and an Iron Fist"? It was coined to refer to a regime that used a soft exterior to hide its punishingly unforgiving nature. This seems an apt description for our Velvet Glove. Its placid appearance and unparalleled smoothness hide the truth; this is one fiendishly strong stout. Rich, chocolaty espresso dominates the flavor profile, with a velvety smooth texture that will haunt your senses.

Added by Sideswipe on 01-15-2011

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Love this so smooth had on draft Hugh coffee and chocolate notes

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this at the beginning of my craft scene and didnt like it, had a couple years later and it was delicious!

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Looks completely black/opaque, but the thin head gives it a bit of a super-dark brown appearance. Little head retention or lacing. Smells of dark roasted malt & chocolate with a hint of coffee. The velvet name is apt, as it feels like liquid velvet in the mouth. The aromas carry through nicely in the flavor. I don't really pick up the mealy hints that I associate with an oatmeal stout, but I think with a little tweaking and a higher ABV, this would turn into a great IRS. And this would be a great candidate for bourbon barrel aging.

I've tried two Iron Fist brews so far, and I can't wait to try more. Right now they are so new that they're a shooting star. I hope they hit the Earth and make a crater for themselves.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

My word.

Appearance - Poured an incredibly dark coloration, with a thin but lasting head. Hardly any light could pierce this dark concoction.

Smell - Lovely notes of chocolate and coffee, with the typical malty roast accompanying it. Smelled delicious.

Taste - Personally? I'd rate this a touch higher but this feels like an interpretation spot. I asked others who were trying this beer alongside me, and some said it should be less carbonated, I felt like it should be a little more carbonated, to bring the flavors a little more liveliness.

Whats here however is still really dang tasty. Really good chocolately-sweet taste, coffee and roasted malts in the body to bring a little bitterness in and round it out. REALLY balanced, and the finish isn't bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy. Even without that little extra carbonation, the mouthfeel is grand.

Overall - It blows every other stout I've had so far away. I asked about the price, and around here it clocks in at $12 bucks. The price of admission to try this is high; but I'm extremely curious how this would play off of a nitro tap now.

In my opinion, still worth every penny of that $12, and makes me curious how their other stuff holds up too...

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one surprised me. I was not expecting the chocolate followed by the coffee taste. It was an amazing stout. One of my favorites now.

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%

4.56/5  rDev +16%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

On tap @ brewery. Listed as an "Imperial Oatmeal Stout". Also purchased a bottle to age

A- jet black. the faintest creamy coffee colored head left nice lacing

S- dark fruit, coffee, and bitter chocolate

T- killer taste that follows the nose. Simple, to the point, and very nicely executed

M- medium body. Velvety smooth... Chocolate and fruit sweetness linger on the palate nicely

D- drinks like a much smaller beer. So smooth and awesome.

Velvet Glove from Iron Fist Brewing Company