Velvet Glove | Iron Fist Brewing Company

Velvet GloveVelvet Glove

Iron Fist Brewing Company
ironfistbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

You know the expression, "A Velvet Glove and an Iron Fist"? It was coined to refer to a regime that used a soft exterior to hide its punishingly unforgiving nature. This seems an apt description for our Velvet Glove. Its placid appearance and unparalleled smoothness hide the truth; this is one fiendishly strong stout. Rich, chocolaty espresso dominates the flavor profile, with a velvety smooth texture that will haunt your senses.

Added by Sideswipe on 01-15-2011

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into tulip 21/9/14

A nearly jet black, thin cola edge, three fingers of dark foam has great retention but somehow manages to leave no lace, kinda strange, I'd say it was a dirty glass but the foam stuck around time wise just not to the side of the glass

S coco powder, bakers chocolate, licorice, faint char, leafy, earthy notes, sour plum, maybe a mild infection setting in, not quite funk but a faint sour aspect is in the background and I don't think its intentional

T some sweetened coffee I didn't smell, chocolate syrup, prune, raisin, plum, still has a little sour thing going on, a hint off booze but well concealed for 9%

M fairly full and creams up from the bubbles, slick in the mouth but a little sticky on the lips, sour char lingers

O I feel like this one just stops short of something great, I'm guessing there's a mild infection but still leaves a decent beer behind just not one living up to its full potential

teetering between respectable and "off", I'm thinking this would score lower as time progresses, worth a try but I wouldn't go to far out of your way or sit on one if you already have one on hand

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

4.56/5  rDev +16%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

This stout pours black as sin from the 12 oz bottle. A very thin brown head quickly disappears
to give a brew with very light lacing. The nose is unobtainable cold. warm it has a rich
chocolate smell, like a dark bakers chocolate, a little coffee, deeply roasted grains, and sweet
malts. Taste is chocolate up front and on the back. Like an oil slick on the taste buds, this one
has light notes of black licorice, earth deeply roasted grains, and a smooth as silk mouthfeel.
A light souring comes through on the aftertaste like a mix between dark cherries and almost a
cranberry like flavor, far from unpleasant. Highly quaffable imperial stout. Very nice.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.64/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I read a few reviews before trying this, and have to say I expected a little more, but can't say I was very surprised by the things I noticed.

A: black with thin edge head, seeming a little light on carbonation
S: probably the most surprising part versus reviews. I get very little overall, but I do get some sweet coffee and molasses, maybe some licorice.
T: first few sips (when a not cold), I mostly got molasses tastes. As it warmed I got more flavors, vanilla and that coffee from the nose. The transition to the end brings a little alcohol burn, bringing about the licorice notes I noticed in smell.
M: as others have stated, a bit watery for a stout
O: initial impressions before it warmed were lukewarm. They improved as the beer came to temperature. Still, overall I think it's at best an just-better-than-okay version of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%