Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ode To Mercy | Wild Heaven Beer

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"What could be better than deep roasted malts, oak, and a smooth, creamy finish? Ode To Mercy-like all our beers-is designed in the great tradition of European brewing but with a distinctly American creative flair. We brew Ode all-grain with no adjunct sugars, creating bigger flavor without excess alcohol." Ode To Mercy is brewed in the style of a Double/Imperial American Brown Ale. One of the two initial staple beers that Wild Heaven has released. No freshness date, although I estimate the beer at over a year of age.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to my Wild Heaven pint glass. Served above 48ยบ Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a billowing head of a dirty tan tone, very thick froth with a good retention. Body color is a mahogany red-brown with high clarity and medium carbonation. Body coloration is a tad lighter than anticipated. Thin but consistent lacing. Impressive appearance. 4.25

(Smell) Crisp bready yeast, doughy caramel malts with mildly tart fruit tones like citrus orange, apricot and peach. Earthy and resiny hop aromas with a mild bitterness pairs with the tartness of the fruit for a general balance. A hint of nutty character accents the malt bill. Some slight spice peps up the aroma. Amongst brown ales, it's quite different and very inviting for the craft beer crowd with a lot of unexpected notes. A bit closer to a belgian brown ale than the American side. Potency is medium. A pleasing aroma for a brown ale. 4.25

(Taste) Flavor is very musty and dank. Dry notes of medium roasted malt, far less bready and more biscuity than in the aroma with some notes of butter. Nutty character is very intense, the most thoroughly pronounced character in the flavor, a touch dry and musty. A medium bitterness definitely balances the aroma but hop flavor is hardly evident to notice, some murky spicy hops. Very peppery and slightly dry finish. Overall it's not nearly as impressive as I had predicted the flavor to be but the age may have had a lot to do with that. Somehow, it's still quite drinkable, but not as diverse or exciting as in the aroma. A lot of the brightness and curiosity has faded. 3

(Mouthfeel) Mild crispness with a matched creaminess. Texture should go with slightly creamier, it seems to be confused in between. Slightly slick and resiny mouthfeel. Body is medium-heavy for the style, medium overall. Alcohol presence is medium. A bit confused, I was thinking that the texture should be either more creamy and less crisp, but not in between. 3

(Overall) I am trying to convince myself that a lot of the flavor of this beer was lost in time, but I also think that many of the flavors would have remained similar when fresh. A very high potential in this beer, and if it had tasted similar to the way it smelled, it would have been an excellent quality brown ale. When I free up some room in my review fridge, I'll go for a second opinion on this one. 3.25

Wild Heaven Craft Beers'
Ode To Mercy Imperial Brown Ale
3.36/5.00

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer at Harbour Bar & Fish House in Decatur, GA with their fish and chips. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It complimented my dinner wonderfully. Served in a chalice type glass, on draft. Had a beautiful golden brown color. Wonderful combination of roasted malts and coffee. Finished very smoothly. Not overly bitter. Many kudos to Wild Heaven for a lovely beer experience!

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks to my cousin in ATL for hooking me up with 2 4-packs of this beer during Thanksgiving. He had brought it up to NYC earlier this year and I have been craving it ever since. This is my first review so here goes:

A - A nice dark burnt orange / caramel color in the tulip, about half inch of tan head on a decently hard pour.

S - Very biscuity / grain forward smell. I think the beer definitely tastes better than it smells.

T - Toffe/caramel flavors, a pleasant sweet aftertaste and alcohol bite without being cloyingly sweet or harsh.

M - Nice and fullbodied - well carbonated.

O - One of my favorite imperial brown ales, I don't think I have tried any other beers in this style that comes close to having this flavor profile. I really wish I could get Wild Heaven in NYC. Also can't imagine how the special barrel aged version of this beer would be.

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Atlanta brewery brown ale - heard great things. Finally checking it out.

Appearance: Pours a brown color you can sort of see through. Looks filtered but still kinda cloudy. A film of a white head.

Smell: Smells of brown sugar, chocolate, sweet malts. Very good!

Taste - Taste is awesome. Mirrors the nose with coffee and a slight nutty flavor too, as well as a little bit of hops, and tiny bit of booze. I hate boozy beers but it works here.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium. Maybe a little too thin for 8%.

Overall: Great beer. One of my favorite brown ales ever. Lives up the hype.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

2.76/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was expecting a lot after the other reviews. But it was so not good that I wonder if something was wrong. It smelled vegetal and not in a good way. Tasted vegetal and notably aluminumy. On tap at Burnt Fork BBQ in Decatur, GA. Sent it back.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer pours a clear reddish brown. It has a large three to four finger head, and leave tons of lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is mostly pine, maybe some raisin. Mouthfeel is just world class. It is full and just exactly perfect with ideal carbonation. Taste is sweet malt, some honey, and a nice bitter finish. I highly recommend this beer. It is brewed outside of Atlanta, and I'm sure how widely it has been distributed, but try it if it comes your way.

Ode To Mercy from Wild Heaven Beer