Eschaton | Wild Heaven Beer

wildheavencraftbeers.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Paincane on 10-05-2011

1.73/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why this stuff is rated 92. It's one of the worst craft beers ever IMO. And it's not a Quadrupel. Tasted like a poorly made Eisbock.

2.16/5  rDev -47.2%

Look- pours deep, dark, black, no head, bubbly

Smell- weak, very faint hints of yeast

Mouthfeel- nutty, dissipates immeaduately

Taste- thin, cherries, no lingering aftertaste

Overall- not the best representation of the style I've had. Somewhat tasteless and thin. (Disclaimer- I poured this beer from a can)

2.86/5  rDev -30.1%

I won't be giving a full sensory score to the beer. I live in Atlanta, and all the hype about this beer had me making a special trip to pick some up...Hop City btw, the best spot for beer in all of the A.

Eschaton is rated a 94 on BA and compared by a few reviewers to the better Strong Darks of Belgium. Nay says I. The beer could easily be mistaken for a barley wine because the yeast add so little to the aroma or flavor. Eschaton has none of the clove, pepper, banana, spiciness, etc. of an authentic belgian strong dark. The malt profile is sweet and bready, but not terribly complex. The hops are appropriately not an issue.

I'm not here to lampoon the beer, just to set the record straight. I like Wild Heaven beers. I think Invocation is an 85+ point beer. However, I feel like a bunch of hometown members have gotten on here and pumped up the score for this average American Quad. It's certainly not the best American Quad...I'd rate Weyerbacher higher in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even say it's the best quad out of Metro Atlanta...Sweetwater's BSP Quad was notably better.

Methinks we should celebrate this beer for what it is: a good effort at a very difficult style. But, let's not call it what it isn't, and it isn't world class.

2.89/5  rDev -29.3%

Review of new recipe: September 2012

A: Pours a dark amber with a half finger of off white head which receded fairly quickly, but the growler is over a week old.

S: Odd, I get sweet grape juice upfront with a bit of oxidation and bready malts. I get some dark fruits, but they are in the background.

T: Grape is still upfront, but it is a bit more refined than in the aroma and is paired with a good amount of prunes and raisins. There is a spiciness evident, but it's a bit offputting. Booziness is also quite evident.

M: Medium to thick with low carbonation.

O: The first batch of this beer was amazing, though certainly not typical for the style. I don't particularly like this new batch.

Original review: April 2012
Growler freshly filled day of review into a snifter

A: Pours very dark amber/brown hue with a finger of creamy beige head on top. Head slowly recedes to a fairly thick film atop the beer. 4.5

S: Starts out with a bright vinous fruitiness coupled with some raisins and prunes. I get some bready malts and caramel sweetness in the background. All good, but a bit subdued. As it sits, it seems to open up with stronger dark fruits. Oddly, I also get a bit of smokiness. The more I smell this, the more I like it. 4.5

T: A burst of many flavors all at once, kind of surprising after the aroma. Strong caramel and dark fruits are up front with some wine and oak in the background. I also get a good amount of vanilla sweetness. More on the caramel side than dark fruits, but very well balanced. I get a hint of milk chocolate, too. No hint of ABV. Very complex and absolutely delicious, but a bit atypical of the style. 4.5

M: Thick and creamy, yet easy to drink. 4

O: I was very skeptical when reading the reviews for this beer, but it really is excellent. There is a so much going on and still no hint of ABV. A bit stronger on caramel and vanilla than I'm used to for a Quad, but it only adds to the complexity of this beer. I'm extremely impressed. The only reason I didn't finish the entire 32oz growler is because I gave my roommate a pour. 5

3.16/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a kindof plain wooden brown...first pour has a decent head, second has almost none. Maybe it's the growler but this appears slightly undercarbonated.

Smells is dry and very wine/grape juice like. Sugary malt character too but doesn't smell as rich and full as you'd expect for a quad.

Again, pretty dry--bitter even, though I don't know it's from hops or wine barrels. Grape skins, cherry,some other light fruit flavors, some spice and oak. Little sweetness or richness, again, not like a quad really.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, watery. May well be from the stay in the growler.

Fairly good beer but not what I was expecting at all. Wish I could've tried it on tap and not after a few days in the growler, the other reviews suggest it would've been much better.

6.3/10

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle with a bottled on date of 12/2014 (revised and revised in July 2015).

Poured with a good sized, somewhat creamy tan head over a clear, dark, reddish brown body. Fine lacing.

Aroma: over ripe fruits including banana, wet wood, and some clove and other spices.

Flavor: too sweet with a strong sense of artificial vanilla, over-ripe soft fruits, dark dried fruits and mild bitterness [earlier review]. Dark fruit and light vanilla-oak notes. OK bitter-sweet balance.

Feel: full bodied with soft medium carbonation. High ABV a bit too apparent

O: I’ve had this beer several times and am always disappointed given how much I like many other beers of this style. Not bad, certainly, and will probably be much more appealing to some others.

3.62/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Thin head, but good retention. I'll admit I haven't sampled many versions of this style, but I think this offering misses the mark on flavor in comparison to the Sierra Nevada Ovila Abbey Quad. Looks and smells appealing, alcohol is almost non-existent.

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rust color with a light tan head. This is lighter in color than I'm used to with quads. Smells of fruit. Tastes of fruit, like peaches and maybe pears. This is sweeter than i'm used to also with a Belgium quad.

3.69/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy mahogany-red with a thin bone-colored head. Big aromas of raisin and fig with oak and red wine. Taste is quite close to the nose, big malt flavors backed up with raisin, baked bread, oak barrels, and red wine. Very smooth. Nice mouthfeel, perhaps a bit sticky, with a medium-full body and good carbonation. Overall a solid Quad, I applaud the use of wine barrel-aging!

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pours an extremely dark, cloudy mahogany with an out of control head that has to be waiting on to continue pouring. nose; sweet dates, & light ethanol. taste; toasted caramel malt, dates, brown sugar, light vanilla, & oak. extreme carbonation & heavy, soft mouthfeel. not as complex as i like for the style, and definitely far onto the sweet & malty side.

Eschaton from Wild Heaven Beer