W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

#566
4.3

Ratings: 3,960 |  Reviews: 1,309

1.6/5  rDev -62.7%

2.32/5  rDev -45.9%

2009 vintage.

A - Pours looking pretty viscous and black as expected, though there's just a tiny hint of red in the bottom corner of my La Fin Du Monde glass. Thick, dark brown head that's fading a thin cap after the first minute.

S - So, I haven't had this in over a year, and the only other time I had it was on tap. It was the first coffee beer I had and fell in love. Honestly, the coffee notes are pretty strong, but they aren't that good. Smells like burned coffee grounds. There's a hint of chocolate, but it's barely evident.

T - It's really depressing, but the taste follows the smell pretty well. The coffee here just is not well done. Old, stale, slightly burned coffee. There are some oat flavors and maybe just a hint of chocolate, but the coffee just really lingers and basically overwhelms everything else and leads to a slight tinge of coffee that warms the throat.

MF - Silky and creamy with carbonation bouncing on the back of the tongue. Best aspect of the beer.

D - I'm a coffee enthusiast and feel confident saying that coffee just flat out wasn't utilized well here. I love coffee and coffee beer, but the coffee here tastes like stale coffee that was left to sit around for a couple hours.

2.42/5  rDev -43.6%

Hate regular coffee. Have drank other coffee/choc stouts that were very drinkable. This is by FAR the worst. Complete crap. Must be coffee with booze heavily infused. On that note, I suggest u try it at least once.

2.42/5  rDev -43.6%

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

2.6/5  rDev -39.4%

Drinking 09' vintage.

Vigorous pour from 12oz bottle into my HOTD snifter produced a one finger mocha colored head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing.
This is a beautiful beer and i'm looking forward to it smell and taste to follow suit.

S: Dominated by coffee with some hints of chocolate.

T: The first couple drinks were pleasant enough as the full coffee flavor was not present. As this puppy warmed up, the coffee flavor dominated and I didn't pick up any alcohol at all. Eventually all I could taste was a smoke infused coffee concoction.

M: Modest mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation, but the smoke flavor was over-powering.

D: Not too drinkeable for me. The smoky flavor was too much. I realize this is a coffee stout, but the flavor is just not balanced at all.
I've enjoyed many other coffee stouts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

D: Not too drinkeable to me.

2.76/5  rDev -35.7%

12oz bottle w/ a turtle on it recieved in a trade

A- Dark Black with tan head goes away quick and not impressive to look at.

S-Wet dog with a hint of coffee, pretty dissapointing

T- Weak flavor, i pick up the oatmeal and coffee

M- Thick and creamy with hints of carbonation

d- pretty much could only have one of these

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Bottle says W-n-B, Seasonal:2010.
Pours black with a finger of relatively quickly dissipating cocoa head. Looks good. Smells rather intensely of coffee with a backing of chocolate and however you would describe that oatmeal stout smell (oats?). Smells good. Oh, ugh. The taste up front is roasted coffee and chocolate, but the back is bitter metallic chocolate oatmeal. It just hangs on the palate, as though someone dropped a penny in my drink or something. I don't know whether to blame over-roasted coffee, catching fading hops at the worst possible time or what, but the finish of this beer is really unpleasant. A metallic bitterness just lingers on the back of the tongue... But, the mouthfeel is good...medium, high carbonation and medium-full bodied without being syrupy. The drinkability...well, I mean, the awful, lingering aftertaste totally kills it. I really thought I was going to love this beer and I just cannot get over what seems to be a major flaw. Hopefully I just caught this beer at the wrong time. Back half was a drain-pour, unfortunately...

2.85/5  rDev -33.6%

A - Dark black with a toffee colored head which is almost non existent despite the rather aggressive pour. S - Less than expected since the head dissipates far too rapidly despite the chocolate addition, strong burnt espresso dominates, presence of alcohol, chocolate character lacking. T - Dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, some evidence of deep caramel malt, slightly harsh coffee/alcohol taste lingers. M - Decent mouthfeel although thinner than expected with the oatmeal name tag. O - Seems over rated compared to the competition. Early coffee addition (harsh) and alcohol takeover.

2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Terrapin is a great brewery, the pride of Georgia, and this particular offering promises a whole lot. Just look at the name! Coffee. Oatmeal. Imperial. Stout. YES!!! A grand black brew in the tradition of Founder's Breakfast Stout and Victory's Storm King, right?!?!?

Eh...not really.

Poured into a snifter a completely abyssic black. The big sizzling head is a gorgeous brown, but it thins quickly. The thing certainly looks like a monster, and it really whets the appetite...

Aroma is: coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. If I use the imagination a little, an aroma of chocolate comes through, like dark baking chocolate...and maybe some metallic yuckiness. But still, it's pretty much full-on coffee. You better like coffee if you've come this far.

Flavor mirrors the aroma, and that's the problem. It tastes like carbonated coffee. [Soapbox alert here:] What makes so many stouts so great (whether they be oatmeal, "breakfast", Russian Imperial, or whatever) is that they possess a robust coffee essence without actually having been brewed with coffee. If they've got depth, it's an impressive experience. This particular beer was actually brewed using coffee. That's fine. Experiment away. Awesome! But it seems Terrapin forgot about all the other things that make a stout great. There's a serious lack of depth. I've tried. This is my second bottle in two days. I don't believe the beer is old or spoiled.

The mouthfeel doesn't help matters. It's not terrible...but it's also not creamy, velvety, or round, as a beer of this type should be. It does have a very thin smoothness, as in typical English stouts, but it unfortunately still has too much carbonation. It ends up drinking like a dark German lager or something. I'm no style-fascist, but the crisp, sizzling texture doesn't match up with what's going on in the flavor. (Or SHOULD be going on in the flavor, which is just so monochromatic...) The metallic finish doesn't help a thing.

I still love Terrapin. Their rye beers are especially lovely. Maybe this just needs to grow on me. But right now I'm disappointed that such an amazing concept didn't produce amazing results.

2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

2.89/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Just plain black. Tan head that hangs, just a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Super strong (over-powering) coffee aroma. Not subtle, just coffee. Maybe a bit of dark, bitter chocolate, but wow...coffee.

T - I love coffee. I love beer with a subtle hint of coffee. This is too much. Still a hint of chocolate, but the coffee is ovver-powering.

M - Okay, nothing to complain about, but a bit too carbonated.

O - I was hoping for a better experience, and expected it from a great brewery like Terripan. They just went overboard with the coffee, IMO.

2.92/5  rDev -31.9%

2.94/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was excited to try this beer after seeing the high ratings on Beer Advocate. I'm a coffee lover and a beer lover and when my two favorite drinks are put together it usually is a "can't miss" scenario. However, I was truly let down by this beer. I'm not going to go into the specifics (a,s,t,m,o) but to say that I feel it's under carbonated, poor lacing, bitter smell and taste. The coffee used is not smooth and seems like an average quality blend which is unacceptable for a beer that costs $3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle. Terrapin should learn a lesson from GI who puts an excellent quality coffee in their BCBCS and it shows! To each his own but I just don't see why this beer is rated so high.

2.96/5  rDev -31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

An absolutely beautiful pour generates a very active three finger head of dark brown chocolate colored head that quickly faeds and leaves no lace. The body to this beer is as black as Indian ink and just as thick. Nose has a feel of cola and fresh ground chicory coffee, very woodsy backround funk. As I take first sip the first thing that comes into my mind is wow this isnt quite right, an old soured coffee with an electric fuzzy hue that sticks on the back of the tongue. This quickly shines through as a bitter coffee feel. You really need to drink this beer close to room tempature. It lacks considerable balance that would make this brew a real winner that it should be. Mouthfeel is a sour bitter hue that hangs on long. I'm hoping that I just got a bad bottle because base on other reviews, it just didnt seem right.

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company