W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Ratings: 3,942 |  Reviews: 1,308
4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2012 Vintage into Kuhnhenn tulip

Thanks LiquidDegenerate

Pour: A typical dark pour but the darkness on this one for some reason exudes a creaminess to me. A nice finger of chocolate milk colored head that is persistent.

Smell: Up front there is a nice coffee aroma that is neither bitter nor sweet. It is a great balanced coffee aroma with some of the typical players: chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla.

Taste: Like the nose with the coffee the main player and in the background chocolate, molasses, a touch of vanilla, and the roasted notes. I find it somewhat astringent and more bitter than I'd like. I find it actually somewhat artificial tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied but a little let down because I find it a little too thin. It is creamy and smooth albeit a little astringent to me.

Overall: Can't help but to compare and I'd take Founders Breakfast Stout to this any day. Disappointed in this one to be honest. I like it but I'll stick with FBS, thanks.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a creamy and persistent brown head.

As expected, loads of coffee in the nose. Fudge brownies, toffee.

Freshly brewed espresso flavor with desserts... Toffee, fudge tiramisu. Nice, long, robust finish.

Creamy mouthfeel with just a splash of boozy heat. Low carbonation.

It's one of the better coffee stouts out there. I had a fun dichotomy of wanting to drink it fast vs. leaving the awesome finish linger. Very well done.

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2011 poured into a tulip

Poured Jet black with a half inch deep brown head wich faded after about 5 min.

The aroma starts of with with mild coffee wich transitions nicley to dark chocolate with a roasty background. I can't help but continue to swirl and smell.

Taste- loads of darck chocolate and roast. The coffee is there and melds really well with the chocolate (less coffee than the 12 wich was almost to much for my taste). Hardly no alcohol warmth. Finishes nicely with not much astringency from such a roasty beer

Overall - Fantastic beer. I almost forgot how much I use to like this beer since the 12 had such prominent coffee overtones, almost like drinking black coffee . Very well balanced with a great mouth feel.Time for another sip!

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 batch. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours nearly black with one finger of a dark tan, almost brown head. Body is opaque

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, sweet, almost caramel like aroma, along with a hint of vanilla. Overall aroma is strong and very appealing.

Taste: Follows that nose, though not as complex. Roasted malt and coffee are the most notable characteristics. In addition there are notes of dark chocolate, malt sweetness, earthy hops and ends with a roasted coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Lighter end of full bodied, with a soft, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium, and probably just right for this beer.

Overall: A must have for any one who enjoys coffee stouts. This is often compared to Founders Breakfast Stout, and while I would personally give FBS the edge, this isn't far behind.

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heard so much about this, including comparisons to Founders Breakfast Stout - which I love - so expectations are through the roof. That said, the couple beers I've had from Terrapin so far have been underwhelming. "Stout with coffee added." It self identifies as a "Coffee oatmeal imperial stout" so I'm reviewing as such. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing inventive label art and fun branded green pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. 8.10% ABV confirmed per the label. 2012 Vintage. "Brewed wtih Jittery Joe's coffee."

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous rich dark tan colour evocative of mocha. Beautiful. Creamy as hell. Great thickness. Luscious soft complexion. Good retention: about 5 minutes. Even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. Fantastic head all around.

Body colour is a fairly dark solid opaque black. No bubble show. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's spot-on for the style and looks damn good. I have seen better in the style, but this is very impressive. I'm salivating already. Lovely attractive stuff.

Sm: Lives up to the promise of the concept: there're definite coffee notes here. Strong java backbone with some mocha cream to cut the inherent bitterness of the strong coffee. I see why some compare this to Founders Breakfast Stout already. Coffee bean here is potent. I could use more roasty character than I'm getting, but it's nice as-is. Oats are also recognizable, complementing the coffee surprisingly well. It certainly comes off as a breakfast stout. Not getting the lethal espresso notes of some coffee stouts, though I wish I was. Not getting any chocolate or vanilla either. Any dark malt presence is eclipsed by the evocative coffee. Smelling it, I imagine it was brewed with cold-pressed coffee; it's not the warm fresh roast of many other coffee stouts. And for what it's going for, the execution is lovely.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Not detecting any distinguishable hop character. Little sweetness if any; there's notable coffee bitterness but it doesn't seem imbalanced. It does come off vaguely acidic.

A moderate strength aroma all around. Evocative, diverse, and appealing.

T/Mf: Loving the coffee notes, but a strange thing happens in the third act when cream takes over, hiding the bitterness of the coffee but also distracting from the focus of the beer. Mocha cream is nice when it's even and supportive in the early stages, but it grows to be a nuisance by the finish. Dark malts comprise the unobtrusive foundation. Maybe a dash of chocolate malt, but no cocoa dust or anything light in terms of chocolate. Not getting any vanilla, but I can see where some reviewers might get confused by the sweetness that emerges on the climax.

I don't mean to go too far from the beer I'm reviewing, but so many have noted comparisons to Founders Breakfast Stout that I think it's worth mentioning that the coffee here is a bit more restrained than in FBS. Maybe it's more balanced; it's certainly not quite as up-front. Wake N Bake seems to give more apologies for its ballsy coffee notes whereas FBS is bold and committed.

Overall, it's very well executed with good flavour depth and diversity as well as impressive complexity and even a bit of subtlety. Oats give it an interesting dimension, enabling a smooth texture that works nicely against the inherent coarseness and roughness of coffee.

It's creamy and silky smooth. Carbonation is near perfect. Good thickness. Good body. I'd almost call it refreshing - a rare characteristic for any beer in the style. Mouthfeel suits the flavour profile incredibly well, even feeling custom-tailored to it. Brilliant execution across the board. Bravo, Terrapin.

Dr: Admittedly, I had my doubts about Terrapin after the first two beers I tried of theirs were underwhelming. This is their vindication. The hype is apt. I'd definitely get this again, preferably by the six pack. I can't make up my mind about how it compares to FBS without a side by side tasting, but that it's in the same league says a great deal about its quality. I'd recommend this to friends, and I look forward to trying it on-draught. A real treat and a fine brew. Hats off to the brewer(s). I'm humbled.

High A-