Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Reviews: 1,276 | Ratings: 3,793
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

On tap at the Taco Mac

Came in a large 20oz pour very black with a tan thin head barely covering the top. It dissapated quickly to nothing.

Scents of coffee and roasted malt along with something I couldn't really place, kind of bitter? The taste was heavily of coffee and chocolate at the finish.

It had a very silky smooth mouthfeel slightly bitter due to coffee I'd guess. This one is very strong both in taste and in ABV only one in an evening but you need to savor this one and not chug it down.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks for wcholif for this beer 2010 vintage
Look:Pitch black no head at all

Smell:lots of chocolate and coffee

Taste:Same as the smell lots of coffee and chocolate

Feel:Silky smooth low carbonation

Overall:Good oatmeal stout would like to try this beer fresh would drink agin if I had the chance

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Deep black pour with a half inch of fairly dakr brown head. Head doesn't last and lacing is minimal.
S- Definitely coffe and some oatmeal, touch of vanilla.
T- Strong coffee flavor, very sweet, bit of chocolate. I was told that there was some spice to this beer but I did not detect any. Very nice.
M- Medium to full body, coating, and very smooth.
O- I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and am disappointed I'll have to wait a year for more. Highly recommended!

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours a viscous jet black. A vigorous pour produced a nice 1-2 finger head. The head was dark brown abd subsided quite a bit. Decent lacing.

S - An instant hit of coffee liquer. The second whiff reveals more of the malt base, and a touch of the oatmeal is detectable. Very roasty, but not burnt.

T - Starts sweet, roasted malt and oatmeal for sure. The taste quickly turns to the coffee and bitterness washes over the tongue. The hops follow suit and shock the buds with a touch more bitterness. There is a quick blast of alcohol in there as well. I didn't really notice it the first few sips, but subsequent sips reveal it. The aftertaste is all coffee. Roasted, burnt, instensely flavored cofee, but in a good way.

M - Viscous, chewy, coats the mouth quite nicely. The carbonation prickles the tongue. It is on the border of being overcarbonated, but still works for the beer.

D - Very nicely done. The ABV would prevent me from making this a session beer. I'd love to take two or three of these out to a bon fire out on the beach. This would be a perfect end to a day out on the beach. Thanks for sending this to me Stephen, I've been curious about this one for a while.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

C. Clarity what's that? This beer is just BLACK!
N. Cold Coffee...and that's all

This coffee, wait I mean beer is strong, smooth and yummy. Now I'm not a fan of Porters or Stouts, as I have said a million times already, but this is solid. I think the more I try of this type of beer, the more it is starting to grow on me. This one starts with straight coffee and then blends smoothly into its malt and then finishes sorta sweet. Not a bad after taste. Worth a try for the coffee fan, even if your not a fan of crafts. This is a beer that I think I may try to break Mother Ferm in on, since she is a big fan of coffee and not so much on beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle from hdelavega into a Duvel tulip

A - Deep dark red, almost completely black. Poured with one and a half fingers of deep tan foam. Head retention is patchy and appropriate to style. Nice lacing - thick and oily.

S - Strong coffee aroma. Very nice. Some chocolate, too. Greets you with every sip. Did I say very nice? Very nice.

T - Whoa. Pretty complex. Delicious swirl of flavors - coffee, chocolate pudding, roasted malts.

M - Pretty thick, could be thicker, but leaves a nice coating on your tongue. Oily, almost. Really enjoyable.

O - Very impressed. Wish I could get this more often. Wowza. I had it with a dark chocolate covered caramel and loved it, but I can see how this would be phenomenal with breakfast. I don't want to over gild the lily, but I really enjoyed this beer a lot. I suppose for an "Imperial" Stout, it could have gone a little deeper in the flavor/aroma complexity, maybe it could have had a thicker mouthfeel... Whatever. It was great. Highly, highly recommended.

4.76/5  rDev +12%

Poured into snifter. 4-pack for around $8. 2011 Vintage printed on bottle.

A- pours black. brown-copper half an inch of head, a lot of chocolatey lacing

S- coffee, coffee, coffee. hints of sugar and vanilla. more chocolate scents emerge as beer warms.

T- impeccable. A smooth mixture of strong coffee and dark chocolate that persists even after i stop drinking. Bitter and creamy.

M- thinner than i expected, but still medium-bodied. the richness makes up for any shortcomings of the body. Perfect carbonation.

O- fantastic oatmeal stout. I can't say much more than what has already been said.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle courtesy of everetends-thanks Gilly!
A-Black with reddish rust head, nice looking beer
S-Great coffee with slight sweet chocolate, very nice smell
T-Very smooth coffee and milk chocolate like taste, very similiar to taste, finish has a little more hop which gives an earthy/tangy taste which knocked my score down a little, very nice tasting brew
M-Smooth creamy velvet
O-I wish I had traded for a case!

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass, with a fat girl on a Harley feel in the glass. Oh this might be good!!

Used oils black, a very thin khaki and pillowy head. Smells of rich coffee, toasty burnt marshmallow and breakfast at the Waffle House on a cold ass morning. First taste of toasty, malt, rich velvety breakfast, or dessert. Smooth, so smooth- thank you flaked oats! You have hit every chord of an oatmeal stout. Warming, medium body with a tempting to keep sipping. Can't tell it's a 10% beer with the mouthfeel at all. Well done, so glad I picked this up!!! Too bad it's 70 degrees in NC tonight. I would love to age a year or two out. Hands down marvelous beer!

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great example of a breakfast stout, and only a few that you could compare it to. It pours a nice thick black with a nice tan head that leaves nice lacing down the side of my glass. The nose gives you a hefty amount of dark roasted coffee with a little hint of sweetness. It follows through with each sip and the added bonus of some bittersweet chocolate notes with a hint of warming alcohol. The coffee lingers nicely after you swallow this full bodied stout. Definitely worth trying if you like coffee, but I do miss the original name..

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

S = Strong cocoa powder aroma with dark chocolate and roasted coffee all mixed together.

T = Big chocolate/dry cocoa upfront with roasted coffee coming through in the middle and finish. Bold flavors with a little coffee bitterness in the finish. Alcohol hidden well.

MF = Thick and semi-chewy. Carbonation was low. Very creamy and smooth.

Overall, this is a fantastic stout that really showcases it's chocolate and coffee flavors. Highly recommend.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Terrapin WNB enjoyed thanks to UMNbeerhunter
2010 bottle served at cellar temp, shared into two half-pint glasses
*one of my more superlative reviews; I was simply amazed by this beer...

Appearance: Opaque black, with a small dense coffee colored head. There was little head retention and no lacing, but while the head was in tact, it was purte art.

Smell: BIG coffee dominated nose to begin with. I also picked up on some black licorice as well as an obvious oat profile, both adding a definite sweetness to the nose.

Taste: Coffee again is big, along with a mild hop bitterness, both of which seem to help balance the otherwise sweeter flavors of this beer. The roasted flavor from the malt and coffee comes out really nicely, and again the predominant flavors seem to be really well blended.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, sticky, and chewy; just what an imperial oatmeal stout ought to be.

Drinkability: Amazing beer! I had wanted to try this for such a long time, especially trying Founder's Breakfast Stout. The Terrapin WNB is a very balanced, well calculated coffee stout, which for the coffee lover, is to be fully apprecieated. I will most definitely search out future trades for more of this, and i strongly urge others who have not yet tried this, to do the same...

consumed: 2/19/10
reviewed by notes

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%

from notes

A- Pours think and black with a nice mocha head with great retention and stickiness around the glass.

S- As soon as the cap was popped i could smell the aroma. roasted coffee, roasted malts and bitter sweet chocolate.

T- Very coffee. Very powerful coffee but malty and chocolatey. Delicious but very coffee

M- Slick, creamy , and thick

D- Good beer if you like coffee its a little much for me but one that hits the senses nicely.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a pub glass. Pours a solid black with 1 finger dark tan head that thins into a film quickly. Light lacing.

Smells of dark roasted coffee (not overroasted!), molasses, light vanilla, oak, bourbon, and a nice sweet caramel malt.

Tastes as smells. Excellent coffee flavor with a nice balance of caramel maltiness. Light presence of dark fruit, I think dates and a light spicy alcohol and dry powdery bitter chocolate taste. I would have preferred a stronger coffee flavor; however, I was a coffee geek long before I was a beer geek.

Medium bodied. Incredibly smooth on the mouthfeel, not watery or thin. It is almost too smooth on the mouthfeel. I would have liked a little more chew. Initial creamy sweet maltiness with coffee, chocolate and earthy hops coming through. Finishes with pleasant lightly spicy alcohol.

This stuff if highly drinkable and sessionable if you like the style. Almost, a little too easy to drink.Maybe I can talk hubby into trading for more of this!!

Just on a side note, I dig the bottle art. Too bad one of those cookies doesn't come with the beer.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz bottle poured to pint glass.

A: Pitch black with small dirty brown head. Bubbles bounce around on top of beer like coffee would.

S: Big roasted coffee nose. Hints of alcohol lying underneath.

T: Roasted coffee with a little chocolate underneath. Some bitterness, maybe from hops maybe from coffee but still smooth like an oatmeal stout with a little heat.

M: low carb but works for style.

D: Good drinker for 8.1%. Good coffee stout.

2014 vintage poured into a tulip.

A: Inky dark brown/black with a tan head. not much head retained.

S: Coffee, bitter black coffee. Some slight dark chocolate on nose too, but coffee dominates.

T: Dark chocolate and black coffee. slight vanilla after taste but the coffee is king.

Overall: Great beer to start off your day. Not sure I could drink multiples but this is a solid brew.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to wcudwight for sending me this.

Pours black with a touch of red where the light hits. A beautiful looking beer that has a dark body and a cocoa head. A rich aroma touched by coffee and alcohol. The tatse is semi-sweet chocolate malt and tones of coffee. The strong alcohol flavor was there at first but as the glass emptied, everything balanced out perfectly. A nice, creamy texture that is pleasantly thick, but somehow very drinkable. I would love to get ahold of this the next time it is released.

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

My wife's observation: "So what's the latest motor oil you're drinking?" That describes the look pretty well. Black as night, the head was about a finger, hung around for a while, but didn't leave any lacing for me.
Aroma really pops with the coffee. Good coffee too, not something that's been burning on the hot plate of your mechanic's all day.
Pretty straight forward flavor too. More coffee, a bit of burnt malt. Searching for something else, but not coming up with anything. Only the slightest bit of alcoholic warmth at the back of my throat, which is a good thing.
Unfortunately, the burnt flavor is what lingers to me, with that little alcohol burn too. I personally couldn't drink more than one of these at a time, that coffee is really almost overwhelming. I'd go with the Founders Breakfast Stout myself.

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2015 bottle poured into snifter.
Deep black, very slight head, dissapears quickly. Smells of coffee, and chocolate. Taste is chocolate malt, but mostly coffee. Kind of overwhelming. Solid, but a bit one dimensional.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

The name of this beer spoke to me as few have (the other being Sweetwater's 420 EPA, oddly both Georgia beers).

I have had this beer on tap and in bottle and it varies in alcohol content so be warned. I had this on tap when it first debuted in Athens, GA (true home of Terrapin, despite the contract brewing). It was 10.5 % ABV and I split two pitchers with a friend without even realizing. There is nothing quite like espresso to mediate the effects of high alcohol. Anyway, on to the lower ABV bottled form...

Appearance: Black as night. In fact, I joked after first trying it that it might turn certain metabolic substances black as well. Lo and behold i thought I had discovered a black hole in my toilet the next day. Joking aside, the beer is very dark with a nice brown head that didn't stick around long.

Smell: It smells like someone used more espresso than beer when they made it. It has the nice aroma of rich roasted espresso with just the faintest hint of the oatmeal imperial stout smell you would expect.

Taste: Much like the smell you can tell there is espresso in this beer. It is not as overpowering as it is in the aroma but it is definitely there. The coffee smell compliments the dark imperial stout more than I could have imagined. Although I am not too good at detecting the oatmeal flavor in an oatmeal stout, this one is better than other coffee imperial stouts i've had in the past - maybe it's the oatmeal?

Mouthfeel: Everything you ever wanted out of a stout. None of the bitter flatness you get from North American-brewed Guiness but way more too it than other oatmeal stouts (e.g. Samuel Smith). I like the way it feels in my mouth almost as much as I enjoy the actual taste.

Drinkability: I could drink one of these every night. However, with the exception of this beer's release party, I could hardly continue drinking it all night. It is, after all, a thick stout made with espresso.

I recommend this beer to anyone who likes stouts and coffee. It impressed a my best friend (BA: willjansen) so much that he had to bring a few back to Brisbane, AU to show off to his friends.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kiefdog. Pours black with a dark brown small head. Smell alot of coffee, hints of chocolate. Taste is similar to smell..alot of coffee. Silky texture, a little chewy but very tasty and drinkable. I like coffee so it works well. I liked it alot and look fwd to getting more.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Pours thick and absolutely pitch black with a dark mocha head which dissipates to just a ring around the glass.

The nose has a huge black coffee aroma along with dark chocolate and maybe some anise/licorice.  This one is going to be bitter...

Again, lots of black coffee right up front.  This is followed bitter dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, and oatmeal.  Finishes moderately bitter with a touch of anise.

Medium-full body.  It has the silky creaminess you'd expect from an oatmeal stout.  Superb drinkability.

Overall, a very nice coffee stout!  Closest beer I've had to FBS, just a tad thinner.  Certainly worth seeking out.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Serving 12oz bottle, thanks to sinstaineddemon for the sample

Light refuses to penetrate this brew's unreal opaque, midnight black body that creates an awesome frothy milk chocolate head on the pour. It takes only a short minute for the head to completly dissipate leaving just a lifeless inky black body and a scant ring of foam.

My mouth waters after getting just a whiff of this brew. Loads of mocha coffee grounds and bitter dark chocolate join hints of dark fudge oatmeal brownies, chocolate cookies and cream, dark roasted malts and burnt caramel.

Delicious bitter mocha coffee and waves of chocolate infused oatmeal make a devlishly smooth and foursquare entry, but they are not to be outdone by sentuously sweet fudge flavors that push foward to form a full and rich mid palate. Sweet chocolate flavors are thrown aside by a bomb of bitter coffee on the decadant finish. Hints of sweet mocha powder peak through ground coffee flavors on a pleasant lingering aftertaste featuring just the right amount of warming alcohol. This is a classy mocha fudge dessert in a glass or perhaps a surprise cup of coffee in the morning. If only this could be my regular cup of morning coffee.

As velvety smooth, creamy and unctuous as this beer is, it feels a thin on the palate for a double stout. I just couldn't take points away for the taste, it is as advertised and more. Added bitterness, from hops not coffee, would be welcome on the aftertaste mid palate and finish to offset the dangerously sweet body. This beer is fairly simple and straightfoward, I love it, but my interest way be lost halfway through the second toward the third.

Terrapin delivers a larger than life, uncommonly smooth and sweet coffee oatmeal imperial stout. I wish I could get my hands on more of this.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured to a snifter.
Pours a deep rich black with a thick dark tan head. Very nice lacing.
Very nice aroma. Dark roasted malt, coffee, and oatmeal are all upfront. There is also a nice little bit of sweetness in there.
Great rich coffee flavors, the oatmeal really gives this guy has a big full body. There is a little dark sweet fruit in there to.
As noted before very full body, the carbonation is on the higher side of medium.
This is a very nice stout, very well balanced with great flavors. I would love to try this with a cocoa nibs treatment!

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours pitch black with creamy, tan head. Aroma is strong roasted malts, coffee. Smells very expresso. Taste is a slight drop from the powerful aroma. Coffee aroma stays in the flavor, but the texture is smooth and slightly creamy. I was expecting something more robust but this is actually quite pleasant. Alcohol is noticeable but not a turnoff.

I'm still not over how drinkable this stuff is.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company