Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Reviews: 1,276 | Ratings: 3,793
3.49/5  rDev -17.9%

Recieved this in a trade with sincerenc. Poured into my trusty dfh snifter. agressive pour yeilds barely a few bubbles that cant really be called head. Nice dark color, doesnt stick to the glass like some sweeter imp stouts.

smells like a coffee stout i once made. could be a good thing could be a bad thing. coffee smells like cold coffee, if that makes sense...

coffee tastes stale, similar to FBS, but not as strong. sweetness crashes onto the palate but is ushered away by coffee bitterness and oatmeal dry smoothness. alcohol is not as apparent as most in the style.

flavors are broad across the palate. undercarbonation makes it slightly syrupy even tho it isnt a sweet stout.

There is a thick gelatonous aftertaste. coffee aftertaste is unappealing to me. i may be coffee-stout-ed out after this one.

3.56/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz into clear dixie cup
A-Black with dark brown head, just what I want out of a stout.
S- Sweet, malty, some roasted coffee
T- Pretty sweet, but not overly so, not very roast, a lot of coffee.
M- Good conistency and carb.
O- Pretty good beer, just too coffee forward for my taste.

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours as black as hell with a small half-finger of bark brown head on top. The head disappears almost immediatly, leaving you staring into the obsidian depths. This beer is black, and I mean so black you can hold it to a light and literally not see a thing. Awesome.

Smells like a smack in the face of coffee, moreso than any other coffee stout I've had. It's like sticking your face in a coffee bag. Also butterscotch and vanilla and some sweet tobacco smokiness.

Taste is roasted malty sweetness and a lot of coffee. Also that rich tobacco flavor. Toffee and more roasted malts. Hops are indiscernable, bitterness comes from the coffee and roast.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and smooth, and I figure that's the oatmeal coming through. Moderate carbonation and a medium-heavy body; I wouldn't say it finishes cleanly, but it's not cloying and not unpleasant. Light on the stomach, too.

Drinkability is A+. This was a runaway favorite at the last local brewfest, and I kept coming back between trying others. Easily sessionable, though the abv might sneak up on you. Still, one you could drink all night long, and I expect it would do you right. Terrapin wins again (try the RyePA, too).

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle. Poured a black color with a super-thick light-brown head. Light aroma of coffee and maybe some vanilla and hops too. Mouthfeel was okay, although more carbonation than I would have preferred. Flavor is pure coffee with a chocolatey finish to it. A pretty good impy stout, although not one of my favorites.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into my Terrapin 7th Anniversary pint glass.

A- Pours black with half a centimeter of deep mocha heard that dissipated relatively quickly leaving a nice skin of lacy head across the surface.

S- Great aroma full of roasted coffee, some bitter chocolate, and semi-sweet vanilla coming through.

T- The first flavor I get is the vanilla on the front of my palate, which quickly gives way to coffee. What I really like about this one is the smoothness of the coffee flavor; it's not so bitter as dominate completely, but it asserts itself enough to remind you that you're drinking a coffee stout (I am sure this has something to do with the quality of Jittery Joe's coffee as I have noticed this in other beers made with reputable coffee beans/sources.) In the finish, I get a nice nutty flavor, which I often find in oatmeal based stouts (either my palate confuses the two or they taste quite similar to me.)

M- Nice amount of carbonation followed by a great creamy mouthfeel.

D- Truly one of my favorite breakfast stouts. I will admit that I have a certain amount of nostalgia when it comes to this phenomenal beer, but I tried not to let it have an effect on my review. No booziness at all (granted it is on the low end for an "American Double/Imperial Stout." This is up there with Founders BS as one of my favorites.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours jet black like motor oil. A thin, mocha like head remains sitting on top. It has the smell of fresh roasted coffee with a bit of warm baked chocolate cake mixed in. It is pretty inviting.

First sip, nice, smooth. The cocoa/coffee flavors are there but not overwhelming. It is really pleasant. An imperial stout perhaps, but it doesn't kick you with a hard alcohol punch.

Overall, really good. Would go fantastic with any sort of desert. Good for a lazy afternoon, where you feel like sipping something and truly savoring the different levels of flavors.

3.86/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours well into my trusty new Belgium glass

It is super dark, makes we want to do a carbomb!
absolutely no light gets through

smells slightly sour, but may not have been aged properly, this one has been in and out of the cold a couple of times

The taste is sweet at first, some burnt coffee, caramel, and chocolate flavors fill your mouth as you swallow

Mouthfeel is heavy

the drinkablity is good for a cold night

2.32/5  rDev -45.4%

2009 vintage.

A - Pours looking pretty viscous and black as expected, though there's just a tiny hint of red in the bottom corner of my La Fin Du Monde glass. Thick, dark brown head that's fading a thin cap after the first minute.

S - So, I haven't had this in over a year, and the only other time I had it was on tap. It was the first coffee beer I had and fell in love. Honestly, the coffee notes are pretty strong, but they aren't that good. Smells like burned coffee grounds. There's a hint of chocolate, but it's barely evident.

T - It's really depressing, but the taste follows the smell pretty well. The coffee here just is not well done. Old, stale, slightly burned coffee. There are some oat flavors and maybe just a hint of chocolate, but the coffee just really lingers and basically overwhelms everything else and leads to a slight tinge of coffee that warms the throat.

MF - Silky and creamy with carbonation bouncing on the back of the tongue. Best aspect of the beer.

D - I'm a coffee enthusiast and feel confident saying that coffee just flat out wasn't utilized well here. I love coffee and coffee beer, but the coffee here tastes like stale coffee that was left to sit around for a couple hours.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle labeled 2006 thanks to timtheenchanta
This beer surprise dme. Pours black, black, black into a pint glass with NO head or carbonation whatsoever. I turned my back for a second and when I looked again there was a perfect thick brown head! Where the hell did that come from? Smells like Hershey's Syrup and Strong coffee. Very similar in appearance and smell to Founder's Kentucky Bfast Stout. Full bodied malty flavor with huge chocolate and coffee bitterness. Slightly hoppy finish. Very thick, creamy mouth feel hides alcohol presence well.

I am extrememly impressed with everything I've tried from them so far and looking forward to more!!

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to WesPatrick for this one....

Pours black with a sandy brown head of about half inch..gone in a flash. Zero lacing.
Aroma is straight coffee with some cocoa
Taste is Coffee as well..which I like...with some chocoalte malt in there.

Less than chewy mouthfeel but not terrible but carbonation is spot on ...Very drinkable brew.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours black with a big head. Short lifespan and no lacing. Recedes to a ring. Smell is heavy on the oat. Coffee follows. Taste is big toasty coffee followed by oatmeal. Tastes like delicious fresh coffee. The feel is medium thick and slightly oily. Overall this is a great beer with a hearty complexion.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Color is black with a brownish coffee hue. huge head when poured aggressively with huge head retention. Coats the glass really well

S:smells like dark chocolate covered raisin thats been soaked in coffee. Has a lot of roasted sweetness smell. reminds me of an old ale besides the coffee

T:Bittersweet chocolate with a more pronounced coffee flavor. I dont get the raisiny sweetness as much as the smell which is little let down for me. lots of roasted burnt flavors with a little alcohol heat but not in a bad way

M: Real full bodied. completely coats my mouth every sip. nice amount of carbonation to help pronounce every flavor when sipped and savored

D: I dont consider many beers a "sipper" but this onefits into that category. Not huge amounts of alcohol at 8.1% but this sure does pack a wallop of flavor. Hard to drink more than one of these but that one is quite enjoyable

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Look: Pitch black with a nice brown lacing. Looks like a Imperial Stout, a sexy stout at that.

Smell: At first you get a lot of chocolate and molasses with a little licorice. If you let that settle like I did, the coffee appears and smack you in the face.

Taste: First of all let me say what I like about this one the most is the smoothness. Super smooth, any coffee lover is going to dig this beer. You get some chocolate along with some roasted malts. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: No complaints here. Pretty much perfect. No after taste, it maybe could use a little more thickness.... but overall this category is what makes this beer so good.

Overall this a great stout. So great that if possible I would indeed have this every morning upon waking, to get the day started right. Bravo Terrapin, bravo.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from bottle into Hoppin Frog snifter. Date on bottle is 2012. Date of review is 3/12/14.

Appearance- Pitch black with absolutely no light coming thru when held up to a bright light. Really beautiful dark tan half finger head sits on top of this beer.

Smell- Roasted malts and smoke jump right up into my nose holes. Sweet chocolate and slow-roasted beef come through too. Very little coffee, probably because of the 2 year aging.

Taste- Coffee with cream and sugar right away. It's just like drinking a delicious iced coffee from my local hipster coffee shop. I also detect sweet and sour cherries. Of course, there is still the roast and smoke too.

Mouthfeel- Just a bit thinner than I had expected. I get that chalky but pleasant film that has me believing I am drinking coffee.

Overall- The coffee has faded but still a very enjoyable beer. Not much else to say, does what it's supposed to do.

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

2014 Vintage
Pours a dark motor oil black with a thin brown head
Smells of coffee, mixed with dark chocolate and roasted malts
The feel is medium and would have liked it to be a bit either thicker or fuller.
The taste is slight coffee and dark chocolate with a lingering roasted bitterness on the after taste.

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%

Received in trade from alaskaiscold. Thanks much. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Poured without much caution resulting with a very thin chestnut film that disappeared fast. No lacing as I drink either. A very dark, opaque body. Strong aromas of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts with no hint of hop aroma. Malty sweet. The chocolate, coffee and a slick hit of the oats are the main attraction. The finish is long on all the malts. The alcohol becomes more evident when you near the 3/4 finish line. If this beer would have done better up front it would have scored much higher. I love the taste and the finish. Still a very nice beer to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a thick dark brown with ruby black undertones. Small lite brown head that separates to the sides of the glass. Absolutely a beautiful beer for a stout. Smells like roasted chocolate malts, and grains of oat. I don't smell much coffee until it warms. Taste is sweet coffee and oatmeal in the front, like a milk stout, then somewhat bitter from the roasted malt, and overall warming from the higher alcohol content, like an imperial. I would have thought this beer had a higher abv than 7.5% The mouthfeel is also thick like it looks when pouring. A good chewy oatmeal feel. Overall, this is one a my favorite beers. Nothing better than one first thing in the morning for breakfast, no, just kidding, though it is filling enough for a breakfast drink. I do however love to have one in the evening after dinner. It is a wonderful dessert beer without being over the top sweet! Terrapin you guys rock!

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle received as part of a trade with Blazer 06 and tried alongside a Brooklyn BCS. Notes from 12/29/08:

Beer pours jet black with very little head. There is a slight coffee colored froth around the edge of the glass.

The scent is dominated by coffee. I am reminded of the Ibarra Coffee Buzz porter (which I did not particularly like). The oatmeal is very subtle. For me, this was the weakest aspect of the beer.

The beer is really nice tasting. The coffee is there, but taste is not nearly as strong as the smell. I may be out of my mind, but I swear I taste marshmallows. While it tastes great, I do not find it terribly complex.

Beer is effervescent and thicker than the BBCS.

Drinkability is enhanced by the fact that I am a coffee drinker - a non-coffee drinker might struggle with this. The beer is also not too sweet, which is a huge positive.

I really enjoyed this beer and wish I could get some more. I also badly want to try some other things from Terrapin. Proud, as someone who lived in Athens for 4 years, to see an Athens brewery producing some great stuff.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter... Huge thanks to GehenHerzog. One of the best traders on this site.

A- Pours vicious and black with roasted tan head. The head quickly turns into medium sized bubbles which coat the glass. Amazingly sticky lacing.

S- Smells of strong roasted espresso beans with a touch of vanilla. This one is all coffee. I can already taste this beer from its smell if that makes sense. Creamy espresso which is making my mouth water.

T- A burst of the best espresso beans you've ever tasted. Roasted and sweet with a slightly bitter creamy finish. Absolutely stunning flavors that create an orgasm on the palate.

M- No words could do this justice. Creamy, smooth and endlessly delicious. Feels warm and delightful on the palate and while going down.

D- Superb for a imperial coffee stout. Right up there with Breakfast Stout. This is one of the tastiest, creamiest beers ever to be created. If Illinois got this beer, I'd be broke.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Had both the 2006 and 2007 versions this weekend

2006: This one has laid down nicely. Pours a deep, rich black with a dark tan head that retreats to a nice thin line around the edge of the glass. A swirl brings the head back and the aroma forward. This one smelled equally of chocolate and coffee. A little bitterness to the nose as well. The taste was absolutely marvelous. There was almost no sweetness and the chocolate and coffee were as balanced as the smell. Goes down easily even on a hot, humid day in Alabama.

2007: The coffee was much more pronounced in the smell and taste on this one. Equally enjoyable but I'll cellar the remaining 3 for several more months. Great beer from a great brewery!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Had on tap at Trappeze in Athens, Ga.

Pours solid black, with a half inch of creamy, light brown head. Retention is decent, and lacing is moderate.

Smells of roasted malts and lots of coffee.

Tastes of coffe all the way through, and is especially dominant upfront. As this one warms up a bit, you get some roasted grains and a chocolate aftertaste.

Good mouthfeel, very smooth, slightly oily.

I love coffe, and I love beer, so I could drink this one all day.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to shaujw for this one...poured from a 12oz bottle in to my Chimay goblet...

This beer pours deeeep brown, with a thin ecru head and no lacing to speak of...a strong nose laden with strong roast malt, coffee,anise,molasses,cocoa...encountered a chocolate,burnt,coffee infused flavor with a sort-of chocolate milk mouthfeel....well hidden alchohol precence....very quaffable....enjoyed the hell out of this beer...

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

Got this thanx to ATLbeerdog ...Awesome coffee stout possibly the best I've had with the exception of cask aged Bell's Java Stout. This is the best coffee stout release I've tried to date. That being said i'm not a huge coffee fan but this beer is not over done with coffee. There is just enough here to add to the immense flavor and drink ability. I had this at my own stout fest with other members of The Good Beer Show and this beer stood out among the 13 stouts I bought to the table. Smooth,sweet,easy on the palette what elese could a beer lover want from a stout this brew is effin' metal!

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the coolest labels I've seen in a long time. Pours a jet black almost like used motor oil into my pint glass producing a dark brown creamy head the dissapates as I drink leaving little to no lacing. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes like esspresso with a hint of coco and alcohol. Absolutly delicious!!!! Very thick in the mouth and filling. Drinkability is ok being so filling. An outstanding brew. Watch out founders, there's a rival here.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

~ 12 oz bottle

Vintage: 2009

Appearance: Pours black with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Coffee grounds, bittersweet chocolate, oatmeal, and roasted malt.

Taste: Huge coffee presence up-front. It's followed up by dark roasted malts, oats, and bittersweet chocolate. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, silky smooth, creamy, good carbonation.

Drinkability: Good. This stout hides its 8.1% ABV quite well.

This is a true coffee lover's beer! ~

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company