W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Ratings: 3,952 |  Reviews: 1,309
4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

It's gorgeous. Completely black, no sign of any other color. Thick pour. The head has a cascading form. It's dark beige in color and VERY creamy. A couple fingers thick at first. It retains well and leaves a thick, sticky lace behind.

I'll be honest, my nose is all stopped up so the scents may be stronger than I'm giving them credit for. I can't smell any coffee. I can pick up roasty, malty notes, but nothing else. As my nose cleared, the roasted notes became more aggressive.

Coffee is present and accounted for in the taste. The roasty, malty notes are there too, giving it a traditional stout flavor. Bittersweet chocolate is dancing around somewhere.

I'm a bit torn on this. It's very creamy and smooth, like you'd expect. However, with such a thick-looking pour, I expected to have to chew this and instead, it reminds me a bit of Guinness with its loose-ish feel. All that said, if you keep it in your mouth for a second to savor each sip and give it a little swirl so your whole tongue is covered, you can feel the thickness. Strange. Due to this, I'm calling it medium-bodied. The hops eventually make noise, well into the finish with some lingering bitterness. The high alcohol is never felt.

Overall, it's an extremely easy beer to drink. Even after nose spray cleared my nose, I can't smell it, though the roasted barley malt is even stronger, maybe I'm confusing the two. Regardless, it's a strong beer that acts like a pussycat going down.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown head, nice coffee smell. This is probably the best easy to get coffee stout in my area. Very strong dark coffee taste in comparison to the subtle creamier taste found in most stout makes wake n bake stand out. I've had this one a hundred times living less than an hour from the brewery and
Still try the new batch every year

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours out a very dark black in color with a one finger, dark brown head with little retention.

Smell is coffee upfront, with some dark malts, and a nice sweet smell. No hint of hops, etc

Taste is dark malts and coffee forward. I get a sweet molasses and a tiny hint of chocolate here as well. Taste is really nice.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick which I didn't expect and was pleased with due to low carbonation.

Overall I really liked the taste of this beer. The last one I had tasted like a cigarette so I think it must have been really old as I received it as an extra and can only assume it had made trips around the country as an extra for years. This bottle is totally different. Really nice balance between the dark malts and coffee. The little bit of sweetness really makes this a really nice beer. I say "little" bit of sweetness and mean "little" bit as it is not cloying or anywhere close to overwhelming. Just a nice little sweetness.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2011 Vintage
Appearance: It has been a long time since I have had this beer, it pours thick black and oily and there is little to no head at all.
Smell: This stout smells like some of the best stouts in the world it has a roasted malt aroma that is surrounded by dark fruits, a boozy alcohol aroma and chocolate and toffee smells. One of the best that I have had so far.
Taste: The flavor of this beer is Oooo my god good it has a good malt base with the taste of figs and prunes a slight touch of booze and chocolate this beer aged deliciously.
Mouthfeel: Thick sticks to the palate and one of the best stouts out there for the money.

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company