Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

#565
4.3

Ratings: 3,960 |  Reviews: 1,309
3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Jet black with one finger tan head. Some nice lacing.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.

T: All coffee all the time. A bit of bitter chocolate and roasted malts, but the coffee notes are dominant here.

M: Full bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O: Easily one of the better coffee forward stouts that I have enjoyed. On par with Founders Breakfast Stout and Stone Espresso IRS.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2012-01-04 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge and from the bottle on 2014-01-05 in Columbia, PA.

A - Opaque dark brown with a 1-finger brown head into a big snifter. Great lacing.

S - Fragrant. Strong, rich dark roast coffee and to a lesser extent; sweet milk chocolate.

T - Dark roasted coffee, milk and dark chocolate, roasted grain; like a lot of espresso poured into a gourmet hot chocolate. Roasted/light char bitterness with some hop bitterness. Fairly sweet initially, which mostly dries out into the long-lasting, coffee/chocolate-infused aftertaste. The alcohol is well-disguised. A very tasty brew indeed.

M - Full body and light carbonation. Thick and creamy thanks to the oatmeal. Just right.

O - A well-done and very tasty oatmeal stout. Comparing the fresh 2012 Terrapin to a fresh 2012 Breakfast Stout; I liked the 2012 Breakfast Stout more. Comparing a fresh 2013 Terrapin to a 2013 Breakfast Stout, I like the Terrapin more; primarily because the coffee is less forward in the Terrapin than in this year's Breakfast Stout. Having the 2013 Terrapin caused me to upgrade my flavor rating from 4.0 to 4.25, putting it on par with the 2013 Breakfast Stout. Well done, Terrapin.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I nearly shit my pants when this beer come up at a bottle share, and the guy poured five bottles each from one of the past 5 years. So a 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have just entered the world of aging beer and this was exactly what I needed to excuse me from cleaning off another shelf in the basement. I was excited because Wake N Bake was one of my favorite beers this Winter, however, I believe heartily that mixing Wake N Bake and a Chocolate Moo Hoo together should be a national treasure. Will aging it possibly change my preferred method of consumption? We'll see.

Smelling 2013 and then 2009 and I would be ignorant if I didn't say there is a world of difference. The coffee in the 2013 is dominant if not brooding and the 2009 smells sweater, but also slightly plain. When I tasted the 2013, I definitely got that early morning kick you might need some days. The flavor was sharp with coffee and quite delicious, but I tasted an underlying bitterness.

In 2012, I noticed a drop off in the coffee and it was not as bitter, I preferred this to the 2013, because the coffee was giving way to the sweeter notes of oatmeal.

By 2011, most of the coffee had simmered, the bitterness was gone, and a sweeter flavor had developed. Hands down, this was Wake N Bake in its prime.

By 2010 and 2009, the beer had lost its breakfast flavors and was starting to taste more like a traditional porter, but very easy on the senses. In fact, this vintage would be a great way to introduce someone to a porter or imperial russian if they haven't developed their pallet yet.

Though I will never forget this tasting, I still think that I can get a Waken N Bake where I want it by cheating the system just a little bit and adding some chocolate moo hoo. I've heard that it's called a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Try it!

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle.

A: Pours a clear, but nearly opaque black with ruby/plum-tinged light passing through the edges and 1/4 finger of mocha-colored head that quickly dissipates.

S: Super deep, rich, bitter, black coffee. Huge coffee nose with only a little detectable sweetness. I did not realize how much coffee to expect in this beer. Other beers have "coffee" in the name. This one puts them all to shame. Seriously. There comes big and hard with the coffee the whole way through the aroma, leaving way for very little else in terms of smell.

T/M: Smooth and cool bitterness of coffee with moderate carbonation and a slight fruity sweetness mid-sip. The coffee up front is really great. The finish, as expected, is bursting with more coffee. Coffee bitterness lingers long past the end of the sip. The mouthfeel is medium, so maybe just a little thin, with just about right carbonation, despite how still the beer looked. I can't detect the oatmeal of this past the coffee... maybe that's why it's a "coffee oatmeal imperial stout" and not an "oatmeal coffee imperial stout."

O: This is really the biggest "coffee" beer I've ever had in terms of how prominently it features the coffee. It's not what I expected it to be, but it's really quite nice. I don't know how often I will go back to this one, and I'm really not sure what I expect from it with age, but it's really a very nice beer. If you're looking for a coffee beer, I've not found a better one.

4.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with. Dark beige head, single finger thickness. Smell is espresso, dark cocoa, and oatmeal. Taste is huge, starts with a great coffee and oatmeal flavor that finishes with very dark chocolate flavors. Some caramel and not a lot if sweetness. Texture is plenty thick but drinks very smooth. This beer is not very complex, it's smells and Tastes just like the label tells you it will. The difference is that this beer has amazing balance between the oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, and it tastes unreal. Glad I got a chance to pick this up during an out of state trip, easily one of the best coffee oatmel stouts I've ever had

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter

A- Burned motor oil black, with a half finger thick mocha brown head, very little lacing that dissipates quickly.

S- Very dark roast coffee, hints of oatmeal. Reminds me of the instant coffee my grandmother used to drink when I was a kid.

T- Strong coffee, hints of dark chocolate and oatmeal, finishes with a very faint sweet milk chocolate.

M- Medium bodied, lighter than I was expecting. Very smooth and creamy, slightly oily.

O- Excellent beer! Very well balanced, and the alcohol is hidden very well. I expected much more booziness out of this 9.4 percent beer. My new favorite non barrel aged Imperial stout. Better than Founder's Breakfast Stout IMO.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%