W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Ratings: 3,945 |  Reviews: 1,309

3.82/5  rDev -10.1%

Wow....coffee, coffee, and more coffee...I like this beer, but it the first time I had it I immediately wished I had a Krispy Kreme doughnut!!! Talk about a coffee stout!!! Almost makes me want to add cream and sugar to it! I have another three bottles waiting for another breakfast!!

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

P: Pitch black body with a finger of frothy dark mocha cream on top. A nice creamy ring that clings the edges of the glass.

S: Super sweet nose, chocolate covered espresso beans, sweet coffee creamer, dry rolled oats.

T/M: Heavy fresh roasted espresso beans, sweet oats, pancake batter, non-dairy coffee creamer, vanilla bean, maple syrup, cinnamon baked apples, black pepper corns, touch of smoke and cereal grains. Chocolate covered cherries in the dry finish. Thick oily mouthfeel that coats the mouth and throat. Carbonation is low and almost flat. Lingering chocolate chip pancakes.

O: Where has this been my whole life? Sweet chocolate goodness. The dairy sweetness is almost too much but it's still a fantastic stout. So far this has been one of my top stout choices. Well rounded and delicious. Cheers!

Until now, I've only had one other beer that I dream about when I sleep which was Bells Hopslam on draft/cask...this is #2.

A: Dark as night with a perfect 1" brown head. You can tell this is a viscous substance as it cascades slowly into the glass like motor oil.

S: Espresso, chocolate, slight nuttyness with some hoppy undertones that you know will tickle the palate.

T: I feel like I will have flash backs to this moment for the rest of my life. It hits the tongue and magical whirlwind of flavors appear. I love how the coffee and chocolate layer your tongue and give you a tremendous flavoring of deliciousness then it clears up with a perfectly balanced hop presence that's not overwhelming but just perfect so it's noticeable.

M: Thick, perfect, layers upon layers of almost chewy perfectness.

O: My favorite winter drinker...EVER

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with a small mocha head that dissipates quickly and leaves a thin film at the top. Not much lacing to be seen.
The coffee scent comes like a punch in the face. Almost like sticking your face in a bag of espresso beans. Some nice chocolate notes too. I happen to love the smell of coffee, so this is all a very good thing.
The taste is, not surprisingly, dominated by coffee. There are some chocolate hints as well. Slightly sweet, but very bitter as well. The hops are sort of hidden beneath all the coffee and maltiness. The beer is very thick and creamy. Smooth oatmeal body. Not too much carbonation.

A very good coffee imperial stout that is very heavy on the coffee. Anyone who loves coffee in their beer will enjoy this.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

Re-review of a 2014 batch. The main difference here is that this years version (as well as last years) is 9.4%, next to the 8.1% or so from 2012 prior. The one thing that disappointed me about the 2013 version was that it seemed a bit too boozy next to the (fabulous, fabulous) 2012 batch - in comparison, there's a gentle kiss of alcohol on the back end. Still, by no means is this an alcoholic beer. Its coffee character seems slightly subdued, too; in its place lie stronger notes of vanilla cream, chocolate, and even a mild hoppiness. Oats come through in both the mouthfeel and (to a lesser extent) the flavor profile. It's not quite the showstopper I remember in 2012, but it's still frickin' delicious.

4.1/5: One more reason to justify beer for breakfast
---

2012 version: (4/4.5/5/4.5/4.5)

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pitch black color with great opacity. The head is a one finger khaki color with low retention. On the plus side, this leaves nice lacing where it can.

S: It's very rich with coffee, as expected. There are also underlying notes of dark fruit, roasted malts, and plenty of chocolate. It really does strike me as being similar to a good mocha cappuccino. Actually, make that a great one.

T: Well, it smells like mocha cappuccino, and it tastes like mocha cappucino. Man, this is fuckin' tasty. It starts off with subtle roast, before giving way to an explosion of bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits, and coffee - lots of coffee, actually. I love how it stays in balance despite all of the intense yet competing flavors. I'm amazed how the coffee comes across as being both subtle and monstrous at the same time.

M: On the sweeter side of a stout in terms of how it finishes and lingers on the palate. There isn't much coffee or roasted dryness here - the oats dominate the palate with lush, decadent smoothness. The low carbonation is appropriate for this beer's profile.

O: The only thing this really lacks is drinkability - but that's more of a testament to the staying power of the brilliant flavors than anything else. This is everything I want from a coffee stout. I expected something great here...yet this is so much more. It's bold and massive, yet there's a real sense of finesse and sophistication here.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Served from a 12oz bottle

A- Deep ruby-black with ok head and decent lacing

S- Wow, full on coffee, nice deep roasted coffee and hints of chocolate and molasses

T- A nice carry over of the nose. Lots of nice smooth coffee with semi sweet chocolate, molasses, fudge and bitter cocoa

M-creamy and smooth

O-Really nice, one of the best coffee beers I've had

4.42/5  rDev +4%

A- Pours a thick jet black with a dark tan, creamy head (and very little of it). No lacing to speak of.

S- Smells of almost nothing but coffee. We are not talking a nice gourmet, light roast Intelligentsia or Counter Culture. We are talking gas station/Dunkin Donuts coffee. Smells like it would wake you the fuck up on a long night drive.

T- More coffee than any other stout I have tasted (yes, even FBS). I mean seriously, this is like drinking an extremely strong cup of cold coffee. There is some chocolate and roasty character as well, but mainly just coffee.

O- I love this beer. I would have to agree with everyone -- it is better than FBS, and I cannot hardly believe that I am saying that! Great brew, probably my favorite from Terrapin so far.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernadus goblet. I'm rather surprised I haven't already reviewed this beer...This particular bottle is Vintage 2011 and more than a year old.

A: A finger of dark brown head forms on this impenetrable beer. Good lacing.

S: Potent and wonderful. Deep, deep coffee, perilously black and fathomless, enticing the nose to delve into the abyss. Sweet chocolates, excellent malt, and generally impressive.

T: Age has taken most of the zing out of the Jittery Joe's and what remains is a pleasant mishmash of milk chocolate, wet oats, thick booze, flat coffee, and lost hops. The aftertaste is bittersweet and not the finest feature (that distinction belongs to the nose and initial taste.

M: Smooth, thick, and uncarbonated.

O: I know this to be an excellent beer. Although I don't think ageing improved it, I still recommend it hardily. Will drink again.

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company