W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

#564
4.3

Ratings: 3,954 |  Reviews: 1,309

4.42/5  rDev +3%

A huge thanks to Jonathan (Janderson91) for eight of these amazing beers. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into a snifter with a dark black color. About a finger of mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour.

Smell – Wow – just an amazing amount of roasted coffee, slight chocolate, charred malts, and a hint of molasses. Smells amazing.

Taste – I am NOT a coffee person, but hell, if coffee tasted like this I would drink it all the time. Lots of coffee, milk chocolate, cocoa, and just a hint of hops?

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, lower carbonation.

Overall – A fantastic, and I mean fantastic coffee beer. No alcohol present in the taste, nor warmth. This is right on par with FBS, if not a hint better due to the massive coffee flavor. Very good.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.29/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to jerryfreak for this bottle from the N00B round 6 BIF.

A: Pours a deep, dark, complete opaque black/brown. There is about one finger of mocha head (consisting of small and large bubbles) after a vigorous pour.

S: Smells of coffee, dark chocolate, and brownie batter. There is also a nutty quality to this beer that comes through, like roasted chestnuts and cashews. Sweet, but not overwhelming.

T: The taste is huge coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Like an espresso mixed with nestle baking chips. I a big fan of coffee beers, so this it right in my wheelhouse. The finish is, once again, bittersweet. Delicious.

M: This is a full bodied beer. It hits the palate smooth ans sweet, but quickly transforms into bitter coffee essences. The finish is silky, but it remains bitter to the end.

O: This beer is wonderful. It's a coffee lover's dream. Tons of espresso and chocolate. I feel very fortunate to have a few of these to go around. It's a wonderful brew.

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to NCBeerFan for hitting a huge want!
2011 Bottling

A - Black and thick as hell. So black it caught me off guard. For a moment, I wondered what I had gotten myself into; I've never had a coffee oatmeal stout that looked this ballsy and menacing. An aggressive pour creates some cascading eye-candy that turns into an impressive mocha colored head. Fair retention.

S - Lots going on in the aroma, but manages to have a nice balance. Though fresh roasted coffee is in the lead, lots of honey, chocolate, cocoa, hazelnut and a touch of vanilla. Whomever Jittery Joe is, you make some good coffee, dude.

T - Bitter coffee grounds, a touch of fresh roast, a small dose of honey, caramel and heaps of dark chocolate. The coffee bitter starts right away and rides all the way into the finish. I'm a little surprised at the lack of sweetness - other than the honey I'm picking up and the semisweet chocolate, this is mainly bitter and roasty. The oatmeal is palpable, adds a hearty bready & nutty flavor. It's mild, but it's tasty.

M - Rich, chewy, decadent. I can only assume the oatmeal is doing wonders here to bolster that mouthfeel. If anything, the carbonation is a little too high for the style, but I'm being picky.

O - Though the taste didn't really come through for me as much as appearance and aroma, I enjoyed this. If you're a coffee fan, this is all you. I also quite enjoyed the oatmeal character - really pumps up the mouthfeel and adds a another element to the taste, which desperately needed something to play against the coffee. Mission accomplished, oatmeal.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

@ Busy Bee

Black with a damn near nitro looking head...thick, tight, brown foam with some patchy lace. Thick, clean coffee smell. Some subtle dark fruity esters and a dark, cocoa quality. Tasty coffee and chocolate roast flavor...not too heavy, just good, quality coffee stout goodness. Very light licorice. Some thickness...floaty and smooth in the mouth. A nice surprise cask treat. Good stuff...

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Got 2 bottles of this this in a trade and I wish it was 2 cases!

Pours a deep dark black with a nice 1 finger foamy mocha colored head that recedes quickly to a nice ring.

The smell is amazing! FRESH FRESH ground coffee hits immediately. It smells like the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Then, there is a distinct mix of chocolate and oatmeal in the background. This is the only oatmeal stout I have had where I could actually pick out oatmeal in the nose.

The taste follows with tons of great roasted coffee notes, bitter sweet chocolate, and a kick of piney bitterness at the end.

The mouthfeel is smooth like velvet with moderate but just enough carbonation.

I don't want this to end. I can't resist cracking open my second bottle right now! This beats the pants of FBS...never thought I would say it.

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer pours like motor oil. There's a thick, dense, chocolatey head that has decent retention. The nose is predominantly coffee but there are also notes of anise and licorice and some alcohol esters. The taste is deep, rich roasted malts up front with chocolate and coffee following up. There are some mild licorice-like flavors coming through as well as some alcohol phenols. There are some slight hop characteristics in the finish. It is full bodied, rich, smooth, and well carbonated.

Wow. This is like a chocolate chip cookie on steroids with booze and coffee. It's full body; almost meal-like. This is intricate, complex, delicious.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

I got this one on tap, after it was recommended to me in the bars liquor store.

A-very deep brown/black. Had a 1 1/2 finger head that was a nice creamy white/brown.

S-smelled of coffee and maybe some chocolate up front. the thing that usually kills me with this style is the alcohol smell mixed in and i didnt get much of that. given I am not a big coffee fan, i do thoroughly enjoy the smell.

T- hits hard with coffee upfront. again not a big fan of coffee but this was actually pretty good. forced me to take another sip, and again it was good. finishes with a little hops, chocolate, and oatmeal, but mostly coffee. the thing is it wasnt over powering or bitter like an espresso.

MF- smooth and creamy. had a nice mix of carbonation, but very smooth all the way down. slight coffee aftertaste but nothing bad.

O-simply put, my girlfriend, who typically doesnt like the style, but does like coffee (with cream and sugar), actually thought this beer was pretty good. This is one I look forward to drinking again at some point, and possibly going back to buy the 4 pack of.

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company