Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Reviews: 1,275 | Ratings: 3,792
4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

black booty has treated me well so far. so onto this little gem.

pours pitch black into my brewery snifter. no head. a slight skim of mocha is on top. fizzles quickly. no real lacing.

smells like spent coffee grounds. iced coffee. smells like something i would love to drink in the morning. mmmm

taste follows close behind. i am basically drinking a smooth iced coffee. this is a tasty beverage. upon warming i get more malt but there is still that lingering coffee bitterness. tastes great.

mouth is full bodied. under carbonated. very smooth.

this is a good beer. i would love to have it again.

Terrapin- Coffee Oatmeal Imp. Stout

A- Thick deep black with a huge tan head. Heavy messy lacing.
S- Deep cake icing chocolate with brown sugar and black coffee.
T- Sweet chocolate cake with brown sugar and deep roast black coffee.
M- Very creamy and smooth. Slightly sugary sweet up front.

Overall- Delicious and creamy smooth. Worth seeking out!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Is very, very dark with a short, chocolate colored head that falls to a bit of a cover. No real bits of lacing.

S-Is a strong dose of coffee and a little noticeable malt sweetness.

T-The coffee shows up from start to finish. In the middle is dark chocolate, roasted malt and cocoa powder.

M-Is fairly thick but not really syrupy to me.

D-I find it to be a nice sipper that goes quickly sip after sip. Alcohol is not evident. I wouldn't want to drink more than one per night but would be happy to have one on a regular basis.

There is a lot of coffee in this beer so you better like it. It feels a bit overdone on the coffee.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - So, at first this looked to be pouring pretty flat, but then a big old Guinness style head swirled around and propagated upward in my Stone Imperial pint glass and nearly overflowed the glass. Body of this stout is *dark*, one of the darkest I've seen. Not a whole lot happens when I hold it up to the light. F'ing DARK....I think this one takes the trophy for darkest beer I've ever seen.

S - One note, but what a note it is. It's in your face freshly brewed coffee.

T - I don't think I've ever tasted this much coffee come through in a beer before. Is this iced coffee or is it beer? The head, once settled, actually looks more like an espresso crema than a beer head. It makes more sense to describe the taste in coffee terms than in beer terms - it's bright and relatively acidic, with citric notes. The citrus notes could also come from the hops, which certainly don't take center stage, but this being Terrapin, I'm assuming they are there. This really does blur the line between coffee and beer; I can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I wouldn't quite call this an Imperial Stout, because it lacks the heft, but it isn't a regular American Stout either. Whatever it is, it's great, but obviously, you have to like coffee. Otherwise, don't even think about it.

F - Most oatmeal stouts have a nice feel, and this is no exception. At times a little thin, but this is a really minor complaint.

T - It doesn't wreck you like most Imperial Stouts, you could have a couple. There HAS to be a good deal of caffeine in this...I feel the caffeine far more than I feel the considerable 8% alcohol....scary. I was pretty tired, but this perked me right up. For a stout of this size, very drinkable. I can only imagine pairing this with a quality tiramisu.

All in all, score another one for Terrapin. Keep sending your beer to South Florida, we appreciate it.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A-Pours a very deep opaque brown with a little bit of quickly dissipating head.

S-Oh, yeah! Fresh ground coffee roastiness with some background sweetness to round things out.

T-Very well balanced and delicious. Oatmeal sweetness combine with roasted coffee and milk chocolate. Easy drinking and memorable.

D-Medium bodied, creamy from the oatmeal with fine carbonation to boot.

D-I could drink this all night.

HV

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. bottle tried 22 Nov 2008. Courtesy of trep, thanks!

Poured in 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Very small brown head. Light carbonation. Pitch black opaque, looks slick. Aromas of dark bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, roasty. Starts chocolatey, turning to mocha. Some coffee flavors but the chocolate predominates. Oatmeal mostly present in mouthfeel, medium body. Roasty coffee comes out in the finish.

More chocolate and less coffee but still tasty.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

This bottle was courtesy of mullenite, thanks Josh. This little gem came in a 12oz. brown long-neck bottle with a "Best if enjoyed Before": Vintaged 8AA. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it was brewed / Bottled in 2008. With an aggresive pour into a Duvel tulip, comes a viscous jet-black liquid with a burnt brown 1/4" of foamy head to the surface. Carbonation looks subtle as the head settles to a ring and some patch with no lace clinging to the glass.

Straight to the nose comes fresh whole coffee beans and semi-sweet dark bakers chocolate. Smells like a breakfast beer if there ever was one.

The taste is fresh whole coffee beans, like you were chewing on them, and a mildly sweet chocolate steps right up to balance the bitterness before it steals the show. Nice blend of coffee and chocolate with the sweet and bitter mingling well. Finishes rather clean with a slight bitter bite left on the tongue...wake-up! Smooth pleasant feel to the mouth, alcohol burried significantly within the flavor and the subtle carbonation is just right for making this brew effortless to consume, unless perhaps you don't like coffee. I like coffee and as well, I really like this stout...cheers!

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kiefdog. Pours black with a dark brown small head. Smell alot of coffee, hints of chocolate. Taste is similar to smell..alot of coffee. Silky texture, a little chewy but very tasty and drinkable. I like coffee so it works well. I liked it alot and look fwd to getting more.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout pours an opaque black with a brown head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Coffee dominates the aroma which I can smell as soon as I pop open the bottle. The flavor is dominated by coffee as well, malt is noticeable too, but hops, not so much. I feel a bit of alcohol warming, but it's not very noticeable in the taste. Pretty darn good.

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This pours so incredibly thick and black. I think, for this reason, there is absolutely no head or lacing. There's not even a thin sheet on top. Pure motor oil. Smells of the woods, walnuts, alcohol, figs, cocoa, and just the slightest of coffee scents.

This brew goes down like velvet. Smooth and creamy as all get out. Perfect for an Imp. Stout. I almost feel like I have to chew this one. Spot on. The alcohol presence is very noticeable in this one. Nowhere to hide. I taste some chocolate, raisins, and a hint of tartness. I really don't taste the coffee, and hardly smelled it. This is good, but I've had better Imp. Stouts. Still, recommend.

4.49/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours very dark with a tan head and dwcwnt lacing. The smell is BIG and full of chocolate and coffee hints. The flavor as well is very big and very well balanced, nice coffee flavors, hints of chocolate and very malty YUM! A nice creamy mouthfeel with a good carbonation level and a nicely drinable brew.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz. bottle with "Vintage 08" printed on the label. Pours completely black with a two-finger mocha colored head that rains almost like a Guinness head. Tons of lace as it fades

Smells of cocoa and coffee. Tastes exactly like it smells. Sweet chocolate that is well balanced with a big roasted coffee bitterness. Little to no alcohol presence. It gets even better as it warms. This is has more coffee presence than most "coffee" beers. It really feels like I just drank a cup of coffee.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and full bodied. Drinkability is incredible. I wish I had bought more than one four pack, and at 7.99, what a steal.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Received in trade from marvin, nice extra!

Pours a dark thick syrup. Head comes up as an extremely dark, almost too dark color. It quickly disapates to litte or nothing. No real lacing. Im ready for a syrupy tasting beer (not a bad thing, see Bell's).

Deep coffee, dark almost burt malt. Not overpowering, almost subtle.

Upfront light. Extremely intest malt. Not overpowering, simpy deep. Nice stoutish flavor finish. All the flavors seem to be roasted, but not overpowering. Very well done. The best part is there is no 'sweet' element, only robust flavor.

Well balanced. CArbonatin might not be preset in glass, but comes out on the palatte. Lots of armona flying around after swallow. Nice reminder.

Great sipping beer. Boy would this go well with some Sheppards Pie!!

3.91/5  rDev -8%

received from yesac in trade. thanks!

Terrapin coffee oatmeal imperial stout

A- the beer comes out of the bottle into my pint looking black and thick with a coffee colored finger of sticky, lasting head.
S- coffee and roasted malts are about the only things in the nose here.
T- wow, the coffee is very dominant. Roasted malt follows, and a touch of alcohol brings up the rear. This has the most coffee in the taste of any beer ive ever tried.
M- full bodied and rather thick. Slight warming from the alcohol. Nice low level of carbonation.
D- if iced coffee contained alcohol, im sure this is what it would taste like. If youre looking for tons of coffee in your beer, this is a fantastic choice. The alcohol is very low key for an imperial stout. Im glad I got the chance to try this and wish it was for sale in my area.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a rich dark deep black with a big brown head that falls to cap leaves some space lace but not much. But looks good aside form m the lacing issue.

Aroma is rich malty lots of big rich coffee aromas. Also nice chocolate and chicory or nut or something else in the background.

Taste is sweet to start chocolate maybe oats adding to sweetness. Then coffee takes over nice roasted coffee that coats the mouth with bitterness from coffee and maybe some hops. Taste is almost creamy with out being thick, coffee is dominate as it should be since its a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel is not as big some impy stouts but its creamy nice mellow carbonation.

Drinkability is good easy smooth favorable, maybe not on top of my coffee stouts list but could damn sure be close.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best impy stouts around.

Pours deep black with a moderate tan head. The nose is intense with lots of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The hit on the tongue is more chocolate, then quickly changes to a coffee-laced finish. The only minor, minor complaint is that the beer could use a slightly thicker mouthfeel.

Overall, in my top 10 of southeastern beers. Now if I could just find it on tap!

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

omg! This beer is a fantastic coffee-oatmeal-imperial stout marriage. Pours a thick black-strap molasses, with about ½" - 1" head. Served from the bottle. Aromas suggestive of roasted coffee, chicory, and roasted barley, until it hits your pucker. The flavors take on characteristics of an acidic full-bodied roast coffee, yet there are notes of roasted barley on the tongue, with a wet and then dry mouthfeel, alcohol on the exhale. Sip, repeat. I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle.

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%

Special Thanks to bhalter8 for providing this in a recent trade!!! Great trader.... GREAT BA'er

Um, this is the perfect pour for Imperial Stout... Black as night... Perfect 2 finger creamy light brown head in my pint glass. Head is really luxurious and has nice retention...

Aroma is of coffee beans... Different vs. coffee itself....

Wow, the flavor follows the aroma... This is going to sound silly.... Here goes.. I love dark coffee and love to throw a couple of coffee beans between my cheek and gum... when I buy my French roast coffee... this really tastes like that... Which is good to me...
Not sweet at all... Really like a dark roast iced coffee... In New England that's a good thing... Very interesting. I am a black coffee French roast nut!! (big fan) ... And this is a perfect cup of coffee...
Can I start each day with this??? The more you drink it the more you sense the layers of roasted malt.... Really nice.... One of the best Coffee stouts I've had.

BETTER THAN FOUNDER'S BREAKFAST STOUT.. There, I said it!!!

Body is a better match for the flavor...

"Drinkability"... Juan Valdez and I could drink two pots of this fresh brewed!!!

Try this one!!!

3.49/5  rDev -17.9%

Recieved this in a trade with sincerenc. Poured into my trusty dfh snifter. agressive pour yeilds barely a few bubbles that cant really be called head. Nice dark color, doesnt stick to the glass like some sweeter imp stouts.

smells like a coffee stout i once made. could be a good thing could be a bad thing. coffee smells like cold coffee, if that makes sense...

coffee tastes stale, similar to FBS, but not as strong. sweetness crashes onto the palate but is ushered away by coffee bitterness and oatmeal dry smoothness. alcohol is not as apparent as most in the style.

flavors are broad across the palate. undercarbonation makes it slightly syrupy even tho it isnt a sweet stout.

There is a thick gelatonous aftertaste. coffee aftertaste is unappealing to me. i may be coffee-stout-ed out after this one.

4.39/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz received as a cool extra in an already super cool trade from md655321 .... Mike threw down .... I've had the Wake-N-Bake a couple of times over the years... but never took the time to review it because I wasn't too sure it was "fresh".. this one has been in the fridge for a coupla days.. and tonight.. sounds good. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Fairly aggressive pour produced a good looking 1" head ... touches of lace.. above a deep very black brew..

The nose is obviously coffee.. Funny how scents can transport us back in time... The aroma immediately brings back memories that I haven't thought of in years... 4:00 AM at Johnnie's Diner in McConnellsburg PA.. 12 years old ... 1st day of Buck Season with my Pappy Deshong .... mid-late 80's.. unmistakable.. cold coffee out of a crappy Thermos hours later.. some of the best memories of my life... Now damn it.. I want runny eggs and toast sopping with butter... I know it is hokey... but it sorta brings a tear to my eye.

Flavor mirrors the nose but with a more "urban" cold coffee flavor.. beans with a little dark malt char.. the flavor has alot less chocolate than most big stouts.. but it is there no doubt.. there "seems" to be a creamy quality also.. the creaminess it there both in taste and mouthfeel.. silky and calming..

Great beer for sure.. Thanks Mike.. this brew is clean and clear and the mission is accomplished.. damn near close to perfect.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours thick and black with two fingers of tan head. Leaves a crown.

Smells strongly of roasted coffee bean with a small hint of chocolate. The malts dominated the nose.

Tastes is similar with a very malty taste with coffee and cream all around. Delicious and one of my favorite imperials period.

Mouth is thick and coating, carbon is low/med.

Drinkability, I could have this all day. Amazing brew.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought this beer on a cold day here in NC. First off the beer poured a jet black and thick creamy. Not too much for head retention. The smell, wow i can actually smell the coffee in this. I think i could replace my morning coffee with this. The taste is fanstastic, I can taste a good bit of coffee flavor but not too much of it. I dont think this beer would not appeal to a non coffee drinker. The mouthfeel is just exeptional. Feels just silky smooth, a nice bit almost creamy feel to it. Overall this is an outstanding beer and would recomend this to who has any interest in coffee flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the coolest labels I've seen in a long time. Pours a jet black almost like used motor oil into my pint glass producing a dark brown creamy head the dissapates as I drink leaving little to no lacing. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes like esspresso with a hint of coco and alcohol. Absolutly delicious!!!! Very thick in the mouth and filling. Drinkability is ok being so filling. An outstanding brew. Watch out founders, there's a rival here.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Thank you tpd975 for the hookup on this beer!

Bottle code: Vintage08FX.

A - Jet black, formed a paper-thin light tan head that did not hold up. Leaves a brownish-tinge on the glass after swirling.

S - Strong coffee bean presence, dark chocolate, hints of charcoal, and plum. I'm picking up a red-wine type aroma which adds to the complexity though I can't pin down a varietal. Hops are difficult to detect.

T - More coffee coming through here with a pleasant creaminess to back it up. Slightly sweet with hints of fig and a dark chocolate character. Medium-high level of bitterness from the dark roasted malts. Moderate level of earthy character, possibly from hops.

M - Full bodied with a creamy, velvety texture. Tastes great and pleases the palatte on its way down. Carbonation is very low but is somewhat made up for by the increase in mouthfeel from oats.

D - Certainly a sipper, I'm happy to have acquired a few extra bottles. Tastes great now, I'm even more curious how well this will get with some age.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Thank you gford217 for this bottle!

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle with a vintage '08 stamp on the lable.
We are just a few days outside 2008, so I assume its still good.
Poured into an oversized snifter, semi-rigerously.
2 fingers of dark brown head formed after a delay off the pour, that was kinda cool.
Pitch black in color with zero light penetration. It looked pretty creamy off the pour. Minimal streaks of dark colored lace.

Aroma is sooo much pungeant dark roasted coffee and bit nutty creamy wiffs of peanut butter. Just a touch of chocolate...This could pass in aroma as a Reeses peanut butter cup.
Some chocolaty sweetness, but nothing in alcahol warming, nicely hidden.

Thick and smooth with a half and half like creamyness. This is a great mouthfeel right here.
A bit of carbonation up front quickly fading to all cream.
Tastes like an iced mocha heavy on the cream with more peanut butter. Its alot like DOAB from Tyranena with much less carbonation and more creamyness.
Starting sweet and coffee like with touches of chocolate and becoming uncreasingly nutty at the swallow. The finish is a lingering sweet flavor with nuts and more coffee. Slick like mouthfeel with a milk fat lingering heavyness on my tounge.

This is really really good. I need more of these, this is going back on the wants.
I'm very happy I got to try this beer, it was more then what I thought it would be.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company