W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly known as Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout and Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Added by rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Reviews: 1,300 | Ratings: 3,908
4.29/5  rDev +0.9%

A: No head, just a couple of bubbles on top. Impenetrable brown-black. Dark, thick, viscous.

S: Mmmm...Delicious! Tons of roasted coffee, chocolate, malts, toasted grains. Sweet and a little bitter -- a little like cold coffee. So good! I could smell this all day.

T: Coffeeee. Bitter and roasted. Some grainy malts and chocolate again. With just enough sweetness to balance the bitterness. Very tasty.

M: Good, not the best. Smooth and thick. Hint of carbonation.

O: I like this beer. Very good. Definitely recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

"Monster 2006 Beer Tour" bottle in an Authentic German style Luettich Balloon glass

Tasting Temp 50° (previous in a 33° refrigerator)

If Stephen Hawking was to review the clarity of this beer, I would be reading more about Einstein and the universe, truly a black hole of darkness in a glass.
Much like the brewery mascot that is featured on the bottle label, the head retention is timid almost scared as only a small fringe of white is present on the outer rim.
As I swirl the glass around, half full of this possibly barrel aged, coffee aromatic, ale, I am compelled to still seek a hint of hops, although yet to be classified.
A casual sip, hits my tongue and reminds me of roasted coffee, curious espresso, with minor amounts of woodiness. Overall mouth feel, comes off as medium.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

S - 12 oz bottle, recieved in week 2 powerball BiF. THANK YOU!!!

A - Pours black, period. Head is a healthy 2 finger and a half of chocolate foam, then reduced to a patchy surface on the beer. very nice.

S - coffee hits first and hard, slight dark chocolate, anise, good roast to it, very fresh smelling (coffee wise) like I'm in a coffee shop and theyre roasting the coffee right there. no alcohol detected. totally dig it.

T - coffee, molasses, chocolate, slighty fruity twang, slight nuttiness in there as well. man thats good. bitter and sweet very well balanced. not a hint of alcohol.

M - creamy, viscous, slick finish that lingers just enough.

D - first of all, I could smell this all damn day. second of all, there is no fatigue. I am finding new things to enjoy about it with every drink. damn fine ale.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Pitch black pour with a nice tan frothy and full head of foam. Aromas of lactose, chocolate, coffee and alcohol. Complex tastes in the brew, consisting of sweet chocolate and roasted malts, roasted coffee, nutty, grainy, and earthy notes, dark overripe fruits, and a noticeable presence of alcohol. Mouthfeel is right on target with this brew, thick, creamy and full, moderate carbonation, chewy granola feel with a lasting coffee impression on the tastebuds after each sip. An excellent, well balanced brew that exceeded my expectations.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Motor oil black with little brown head. No lacing.

S: COFFEE. Lots and lots of coffee. Smells like a freshly ground bag of coffee beans.

T: Again, lots of coffee. Some caramel and dark chocolate as well. No taste of alcohol at all.

M: Medium bodied for a stout. Not too thick where you can't drink more than one, but not too thin also.

O: Pretty interesting beer. Definitely something I'm glad I bought but not sure if I'd buy it again.

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

I feel compelled to review this beer now that the new batch is out. It's seriously the best coffee stout out there, it hands down kills founder's breakfast stout. I tried the fresh one side by side with a one year aged version, and although the coffee had mostly died (completely gone in the nose), an amazingly rich dark chocolate flavor had taken the front seat. Somehow it's even better than the fresh one if only by a small margin. With two glasses side by side, I kept going for the aged one.

A - Nothing extraodinary here, but the beer pours with a good head. Once the head dissipates, it looks a little bit oily.

S - Nothing short of perfect here. I can't describe in words how the coffee smell here is more refined, less acidic, more subdued, and just damned smooth smelling. The smell wafts up during the pour it's so strong.

T - Again, I can't imagine it tasting better. Even the foam is perfect. It's not too sweet, it's definitely not bitter -- somehow they've found a way to get a perfect balance.

M - Maybe the most important aspect of a beer for me. At 8.1% you might expect this to be a little bit thin, but the mouthfeel is as full and creamy as anything out there. Once again exactly what I want in a coffee beer.

O - It's hard to find fault in this beer. For this style, I cannot think of a beer I would rather have. I thought there were a few, so I tried them all side by side (Coffee House Stout, Valdez, FBS). The only beer I still need to try side by side that might hold a candle is Victory @ Sea.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- jet black with a dark tanish brown head that's fairly small and creamy. no light showing through
S- dark roasted coffee bean smell, with some dark chocolate notes.
T- coffee or maybe even espresso up front with chocolate flavors present also. alcohol is there but not in a big way.
F- low carbonation full bodied with a chalky feel
O- great beer that I got in my growler that I would love to try next in the bottle. well worth it.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Received a few of these in trade. Poured 12oz. bottle into my snifter. Poured and opaque black color with a dark tan head that faded to an oily film that layed atop the body of the beer. not much lacing at all. Smelled roasty, coffee but not as much as I would think with the description it has. The chocolate was there but not as up front as I expected either. The taste made up for what it was lacking in the smell. Thick body, very drinkable.

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours damn near black with a tiny bit of dark brown head that vanishes nearly immediately, leaving just a ring of lace.

Nose is very heavily coffee, leaving room for little else to come through. There are some chocolatey notes.

Taste is coffee, something charred/oaky/roasty, chocolate malt, maybe the faintest hint of lactose and ... then more coffee. The alcohol is detectable, and it's got that whiskey character to it, but not prominent at all. I'd say the coffee is too overpowering, but fuck that. This is supposed to be a coffee-heavy brew, and that's exactly what it is. And it is yummy! The chocolatey and lactose notes become more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel's very good -- heavy, sticky and a smidge creamy.

Drinkability's quite good for what it is ... a four pack doesn't last long on my watch. I'm super glad this has made its way to Florida's shelves.

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to HelloMcfly for this nice addition to our trade:
A - Pours mootor oil black with a single finger mocha head that was hesitant to form even after an agressive pour and disipated into a light ring.
S - Espresso, molassas, toasted oats, and a hit of toffee or brown suger.
T - Heavy espresso with a dark fruit and molassas finish.
M - Syrapy with a decent carbonation.
D - Great beer. Very well balanced with a complexity that makes this beer very approachable.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Needed a coffee fix on a cold early winter night so picked up a 4 pack of this instead of some Founders Breakfast Stout. Decided to switch it up a bit.

A - Pours dark brown with a tan/mocha head that is pretty decent. Settles back with a nice collar and some larger bubbles. Pretty good.

S - Very nice. Coffee dominates along with some roasty malts.

T - Very nice as well for the style. The coffee again takes center stage but is pulled back a bit from the oats which help to reduce the bitterness of the coffee a bit. Dark roasted malts and a hint of chocolate underneath as well. For its purpose, really nicely done.

M - Pretty good as well. Hides the 8+% well and is not thin by any means.

O - This is a very solid beer that should be more highly thought of when considering the avalanche of coffee/oatmeal/etc. beers. Maybe not as intense as FBS or Peche Mortel, but a really solid junior member of the class.

I have to remind myself to keep a couple of these around at all times as we get through the winter. Once pitchers and catchers report, I'll clear them out until next year.

Please bring back Depth Charge! Pretty Please!

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

I'll start by saying that I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who loves coffee and is looking for a coffee-beer love child, even though that person is NOT me. I can appreciate what they are trying to do here, and it worked.

A - Black as the night, with a mocha head that goes on for days and laces my glass like mad.

S - Uh, coffee? Like crushed up coffee beans, fresh roasted black and stuffed up my nose.

T - More of the same, minus the nose bit. The oatmeal is lost here, but the thick smoothness of the Imperial Stout mixed with the sharp tang/bitterness of the coffee produces a unique flavor profile. I can't really think of anything to say but coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

M - The reason I dinged it on mouthfeel is because it actually left some of that nasty coffee-mouth feeling in my gullet. I had to drink something else afterward to get out the taste.

Overall, coffee bomb. Bar none, the most coffee beer I've ever looked at let alone tasted. Not for me, but victory to Terrapin - they hit the nail on the head.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

If you like flavored beers, then you have to try this. So many beers promise a certain flavor, but Terrapin really delivers this time. I wish I could have this for breakfast every morning.

It pours really dark, with a think creamy head. Has a pretty strong oatmeal, grain aroma.

I just wish I could find it more often.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

poured from 12oz bottle into a globe glass.

appearance: a dark black with a beige head about finger and a half thick in the pour and lasts leaving little spots of lacing.

smells: a heavy coffee front with roasted chocolate malts and slight bourbon hints and a hop note.

tastes: a dark coffee blended with a bread like roasted malt and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: the carbonation is light yet present. a long lasting roasted coffee aftertaste that is quite flavorful. And I don't drink coffee. The tad bit above 8% is smooth and very creepy.

Overall: this is a heavy coffee stout but very enjoyable. I picked up a 4 pack for $11 and I consider it a bargain, only if it wasn't seasonal.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Oh God yes. I love Imperial Stouts. Add some oatmeal, all the better. Throw some coffee in, and we start to talk otherworldly.

Fantastic. I bought a case of this while in GA over the weekend. Of couse i have a request from a friend for a big chunk of that.

Terrapin, you will eventually be considered one of the great breweries of the United States. Big Hoppy Monster was incredible; Wake-n-Bake is no less marvelous.

Mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm...

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Poured a deep brown, near black to my Bruery tulip glass. Has to elicit visible carbonation with a less than gentle pour, but once I did there sat a nice mocha colored 1/2 finger head layer. Before i knew it, it was gone.
S: Bitter coffee is the first thing I pick up. Hints of bitter, dark chocolate , also. A slight bready note is picked up.
T: Milk chocolate immediately apparent. Like chocolate milk, almost. Coffee has moved to the background on the flavor profile.
M: Very full-bodied and creamy. While being full flavored, the body is less viscous than it appears in the glass. Less than mouth-coating.
D: Smooth drinking with rich flavors that usually come with Imperial Stouts. A solid offering and I would love to try more that Terrapin has to offer.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is a thick opaque black with a fluffy light brown head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice cap.

Smell is definitely filled with coffee! There are also aroma of roasted malts and some dark chocolate as well.

Taste is identical to the smell. A nice roasted coffee flavor like a fresh cup of roasted goodness and with a bit of sweetness in the end. Roasted malts are there and a small hint of bitterness near the end. The alcohol seems to be nicely hidden only making itself noticed slightly as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth! Quite rich and very pleasant on the tongue.

Drinakbility is Fantastic! A very nice flavor that goes down nice, easy and smooth. This is one of the better coffee stouts I've had and look forward to having many times again. Even with the abv it would be a very nice session brew to me. If you like your coffee, this is definitely a beer for you.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage enjoyed from a coffee mug

This is the best non-BA coffee stout I've ever had. Wake-n-Bake pours a thick, dark brown and is topped with a creamy khaki head. The aroma is near-perfect: rich, sweet coffee; mild milk chocolate; and a cola-like sweetness. Roast coffee grounds predominate, which is great. The flavor is out of this world: the initial taste is a roasty, bitter chocolate that transitions immediately to slightly sweet coffee. Undergirding everything is a sharp (but mild) Coke-like effervescence. The aftertaste is dry and bitter, just like a cup of coffee. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, which works perfectly for this beer.

This is a world-class coffee stout. So much coffee flavor, with just the right amounts of roast, bitterness, and chocolate. Most importantly, the sweetness is held in check, and thus doesn't dominate things. There are a lot of similarities to Founders Breakfast Stout, but this beer is far superior because here the coffee, not the creamy chocolate, is in charge.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

A big thanks to MSchae1017 for this one!
This beer pours jet black with a nice offwhite head. Smells of strong coffee, roasted malts and huge molasses that is very pungent and in your face. Right up front this beer is sweet, maybe too sweet. Tastes of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts with a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and nicely carbinated. Drinkability is good. A nice easy drinking stout especially considering the high abv.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

On tap at the Taco Mac

Came in a large 20oz pour very black with a tan thin head barely covering the top. It dissapated quickly to nothing.

Scents of coffee and roasted malt along with something I couldn't really place, kind of bitter? The taste was heavily of coffee and chocolate at the finish.

It had a very silky smooth mouthfeel slightly bitter due to coffee I'd guess. This one is very strong both in taste and in ABV only one in an evening but you need to savor this one and not chug it down.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks for wcholif for this beer 2010 vintage
Look:Pitch black no head at all

Smell:lots of chocolate and coffee

Taste:Same as the smell lots of coffee and chocolate

Feel:Silky smooth low carbonation

Overall:Good oatmeal stout would like to try this beer fresh would drink agin if I had the chance

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Deep black pour with a half inch of fairly dakr brown head. Head doesn't last and lacing is minimal.
S- Definitely coffe and some oatmeal, touch of vanilla.
T- Strong coffee flavor, very sweet, bit of chocolate. I was told that there was some spice to this beer but I did not detect any. Very nice.
M- Medium to full body, coating, and very smooth.
O- I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and am disappointed I'll have to wait a year for more. Highly recommended!

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours a viscous jet black. A vigorous pour produced a nice 1-2 finger head. The head was dark brown abd subsided quite a bit. Decent lacing.

S - An instant hit of coffee liquer. The second whiff reveals more of the malt base, and a touch of the oatmeal is detectable. Very roasty, but not burnt.

T - Starts sweet, roasted malt and oatmeal for sure. The taste quickly turns to the coffee and bitterness washes over the tongue. The hops follow suit and shock the buds with a touch more bitterness. There is a quick blast of alcohol in there as well. I didn't really notice it the first few sips, but subsequent sips reveal it. The aftertaste is all coffee. Roasted, burnt, instensely flavored cofee, but in a good way.

M - Viscous, chewy, coats the mouth quite nicely. The carbonation prickles the tongue. It is on the border of being overcarbonated, but still works for the beer.

D - Very nicely done. The ABV would prevent me from making this a session beer. I'd love to take two or three of these out to a bon fire out on the beach. This would be a perfect end to a day out on the beach. Thanks for sending this to me Stephen, I've been curious about this one for a while.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

C. Clarity what's that? This beer is just BLACK!
H. DARKNESS
N. Cold Coffee...and that's all

This coffee, wait I mean beer is strong, smooth and yummy. Now I'm not a fan of Porters or Stouts, as I have said a million times already, but this is solid. I think the more I try of this type of beer, the more it is starting to grow on me. This one starts with straight coffee and then blends smoothly into its malt and then finishes sorta sweet. Not a bad after taste. Worth a try for the coffee fan, even if your not a fan of crafts. This is a beer that I think I may try to break Mother Ferm in on, since she is a big fan of coffee and not so much on beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle from hdelavega into a Duvel tulip

A - Deep dark red, almost completely black. Poured with one and a half fingers of deep tan foam. Head retention is patchy and appropriate to style. Nice lacing - thick and oily.

S - Strong coffee aroma. Very nice. Some chocolate, too. Greets you with every sip. Did I say very nice? Very nice.

T - Whoa. Pretty complex. Delicious swirl of flavors - coffee, chocolate pudding, roasted malts.

M - Pretty thick, could be thicker, but leaves a nice coating on your tongue. Oily, almost. Really enjoyable.

O - Very impressed. Wish I could get this more often. Wowza. I had it with a dark chocolate covered caramel and loved it, but I can see how this would be phenomenal with breakfast. I don't want to over gild the lily, but I really enjoyed this beer a lot. I suppose for an "Imperial" Stout, it could have gone a little deeper in the flavor/aroma complexity, maybe it could have had a thicker mouthfeel... Whatever. It was great. Highly, highly recommended.

W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company