Love Belgian Beer?

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States | website

Style: American Brown Ale

Availability: Spring

"The Terrapin Hop Karma IPA (formerly known as the India Style Brown Ale) is a head on collision between a hoppy, west coast IPA and a complex, malty brown ale. Brewed with 5 varieties of hops and 7 different malts, this hybrid style represents the best of both worlds." 65 IBU

Added by athensbeermaster on 04-02-2007

Reviews: 543 | Ratings: 1,008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance - pours a reddish murky brown. A thin finger of light mocha coverage with some decent lacing.

Aroma - nice hit of sweet caramel and roasted grain, and a citrusy hop presence too. Sets up a little lighter but still with some good aromatics. Notes of coffee as it warms.

Taste - roasted grain, a touch of coffee, followed by some fine hops of the grapefruit rind persuasion. Fairly bitter, but never medicinal. Balances the grain very nicely. Finishes roasty and dry.

Mouthfeel - crisp but with notable smoothness. Solid body.

Drinkability - I love TIBA. I tried this at DLD07 and finally came into a sixer, thanks to bhalter8. Sessionable and very flexible with a variety of foods. Thanks Ben!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The head that formed is tightly packed, light tan and two fingers high. Moderate dissipation leaving behind a thin layer of bubbles on the side of the glass. The body is a clear chestnut brown color with ruby hues.

Hop aromas hit the nose first. Some malt and caramel characters are in the background. The backbone is a spicy, grainy aroma that I cannot properly describe with words...

Complex flavors...hoppy start (grapefruit) that dulls to a malty middle. The hops kick in again at the end giving a bitter bite to the finish. A roasted, coffee-esque aftertaste balances this beer perfectly.

The mouth feel is medium and creamy with moderate carbonation.

Very drinkable beer! A nice combination of hops and malts make this a balanced and complex offering. Definitely a beer you want to keep well stocked!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Had on tap at the Brick Store Pub. I want to say up front that I love India Brown Ales. I really think its a style all its own and one that really zips up a style that is so often ho-hum. This is my favorite version of the style to date, I like it even more than the dfh india brown. Pours a beautiful mahogoney with a great head and lacing. The smell is piney hops with a nice subdued malt background. The taste has some really nice piney bitterness up front and then a long finish mixing a light roastiness and some slightly sweet malt at the end. Very nicely balanced and delicious. Creamy and full bodied mouthfeel. This beer is just a treat! I could drink this all day. In my opinion its one of Terrapin's best.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a deep brownish red with a nice size whit head that lasts a while longer than average. As the head dissipates, a light lacing is left randomly around the glass. The subtle smell of nutiness is wrapped around the hops and the caramel scent comes through. This is a great tasting beer. Like a perfectly balance between nutty brown ale and hops. Terrapin has outdone themselves with this one. Easy to drink several in a sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

The label reads "India Style Brown Ale" but I've never heard of that. But wait, they explain it - it's a combination of an IPA and a brown ale. I get it. I still don't like the name, but the beer inside is really good.

It's a dark mahogany brown beneath a short head of creamy off-white foam. Unfortunately the head retention is quite limited, but it does leave some minor spots and streaks of lace about the glass.

The aroma delivers and interesting combination of citrusy hops and dark cocoa-like malt that combine into one intriguing scent that's spicy, chocolatey, and just slightly fruity. It reminds me of chocolate and orange candy.

The flavor really opens it up though, and it's loaded with citrusy hop flavors, followed by soft notes of chocolate. I'd have thought there'd have been more of a combination as found in the nose, OR, more of a muddled mash-up, but it's neither. The citrus is presented first, with orange and grapefruit and tart melon up-front, and then they quickly dissipate just across the middle and into the swallow as the cocoa and dark-chocolate flavors rise. Following that, the finish is surprisingly simple. There's a little bit of flavor-melding involved, giving it that orange-centered chocolate candy I'd imagined in the aroma, but other than that it simply disappears. Sure, some grassy/spicy hops and a bit of citrus rind linger along with a bit of cocoa dust, but they actually help to cleanse the palate - I was expecting a mash-up of flavor and then a sloppy, lingering finish, but it's actually very focused and clean-cut. Superb!

Nicely done! Very well-balanced all around. An interesting and drinkable beer. I could certainly have more than one of these at a time. Worth trying!

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Love me some Terrapin. Got me a single to try from my local shop.

A - Pours a real nice dark amber with an inch of fluffy head. Digging that.

S - Well you get the best of both an amber and an IPA with some slight nutty malty with a nice balance Piny IPA smell. Mostly malty.

T - Well I really liked the smoothness of the brew. You get a lot of amber malt and some slight nut with a nice hoppy bitterness that is smooth yet not dry. Loved it.

M - Medium yet I could easily have a few.

D - Nice overall rep of the style. As all reviews you get those people all "eww this beer has a nuttyness" but thats pretty much what you get for uneducated persons of a brown IPA style. Sure it has hops but a nice amber malt to back it up. Love the style and will have it again.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint. aroma is all hops up front but quickly fades to a strong and sweet malty backbone. maybe a hint of coffee.

very dark brown in appearance, almost opaque unless you hold it up to the light.

taste mimics the aroma, hops up front, then strong malt sweetness, lots of burnt sugar/caramelized notes that fade to something like lightly sweetened black coffee. seems almost sticky in the glass.

mouthfeel is good. carbonation stings the tongue just enough.

drinkability is good, and although there's not a strong alcohol taste, my head tells me this one seems stronger than 6%!

very good beer.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear mahogany that shines like ruby when backlit. Its frumpy head is tan and has nice retention. The aromas are evenly split between big, toasty malts and strong hoppy aromas of pine needles and spices. Maybe even a whiff of chocolate. The taste is initially citrus hop forward (I get a lot of grapefruit here), before cocoa and toasty malts come in to balance the flavors on the mid palate. Medium body is smooth and even creamy. The finish is fascinating to me in that it "feels" like I just swallowed an IPA but the lingering taste is entirely of chocolate. An intriguing beer that I would recommend to malt-lovers and hop heads alike. I'll definitely buy this again.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to shuajw for this one!

Typically, when I decide to review a beer I'll sit down with it, open up it's page, pour the beer, and get started. This experience was anything but typical--I don't if it was the allure of being the first beer I've tried courtesy of a trade or simply that I just got back from the gym but I had to get a taste before writing. After pouring Terrapin's India Brown Ale I had an overwhelming urge to just taste, so I did. And then I had some more...there's barely any left. What a beer!

The pour isn't really 'brown' in color- more so a dark hue of red. A bit of head materializes on the pour and laces decently. It smells so incredibly similar to something I've had recently I just can't put my finger on it. Various hops and heavy caramel malt notes smell goood to me.

It tastes very sweet and has a long and bitter finish that leaves the taste of hops on the back of your tongue. It's so balanced though with the caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with moderate carbonation that lent itself to incredible drinkabiility.

Needless to say, I may be asking for more of this beer quite soon.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my new victory imperial pint glass :-)

A-Pours a dark brown with almost night highlights when held to the light. The head is shade of khaki and is about a 1/2 in tall and leaves speckles of lace on the glass. Looks great! Only flaw is the head didnt last as long as I would like.

S-Smell is rich and nutty with some mild tinges of chocolate also some hopy scents come through a tiny bit but if i was blindfolded I would say this is a great example of a brown ale.

T-I have to say this hybrid style of beer has to be my favorite. The idea of having this much rich nutty maltiness combined with a decent hop bite is amazing. I get waves of nuts and chocolate followed by refreshing zesty hops.

M-The moutfeel can carbonation are balanced just as well as the hops and the malt. This beer is full enough bring presence to the beer and the carbonation is just enough to let you know its there but no where near enough to be a distraction. awesome.

D-The drinkability of this is amazing. I like it even better than dogfish Indian brown. Its smooth and sweet and hopy and bitter all at the same time. Although ultimateness I wish they would make a double version of this with an ABV of like 12 and like 120 ibu's. Yet another stellar beer from terrapin.

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a deep brown color with a red hue and an off-white, almost toffee colored head. Retention isn't so great but it still looks fantastic

S-Probably the best aspect of the brew. Nutty, sweet, malted barley and a faint note of hops. A bit boozy as well. Smells so damn good

T & MF-Lemony hops at the front, followed by a nice malted caramel sweetness. Almost like sugared almonds. Alcoholic bite at the finish where the hops make a presence again. A touch over carbonated, crisp, but it goes down smooth. Very well balanced and full bodied brew.

O-Exceptional brew. I've never tried a dark IPA, but I really love this combination. If you see this, do not pass it up

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

poured deep brown in color with a very light white head. decent lacing and retention.

first on the nose was light hop notes and fairly strong molasses and roasted malts. a very sweet scent.

very hoppy flavors all over the placed mixed in with brown ale. very sweet through out. slight citrus and pine hops brought a nice bitterness that really enhanced the sweet roasted malts.

carbonation was medium to low and this was a very easy one to drink. not very thick, maybe a wee bit thin but nothing to ever complain about.

i loved everything about this beer. it was a fantastic take on the india brown ale and i might add that not many do it. low ABV and great flavors make this a near perfect beer. all in all, this was my pleasure and i am forever stoked i have 5 more left.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

A - A nice deep brown color with a solid, two finger head on it. Left behind a bit of lacing.

S - Nice hops profile, a bit of floral and a good amount of citrus in there. There is some rich, roasted malt offerings and burnt caramel.

T - I find this to be a really good beer. Seems like the marriage of a pretty big IPA and a brown, or almost stoutish, beer. It's listed here as an American Brown, but I think it's more of an IPA than a brown. I really enjoy the taste, great hops profile with the appropriate strength and some nice roasted malts.

M - Solid, good carbonation.

D - Tossed this back like it was nothing, quite sessionable, even at a slightly high 6%. Great beer I would not turn down.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Had on-tap at Mellow Mushroom with a couple slices of Hawaiian. I've had a couple of brews from Terrapin, and they're a local, so I tried it. I was a little apprehensive since I usually don't love brown ales. The name "India Brown" had me worried that, in trying to marry a brown ale and an IPA, they wouldn't get either right.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Good dense reddish-brown color and firm short head of tan bubbles let me know this was going to be a beer of substance. But how would it taste? Floral, orangy citrus hops burst forth like a really good IPA. But wait, there's more. Malty, nutty, smoky mid-tones like a brown ale. All of it well balanced between bitter and sweet. Very flavorful, very easy to drink. Terrapin's India Brown has just joined the "short list" of everyday favorites for me.

12oz. bottle served into a nonic pint glass

Pours a dark, but still translucent, shade of brown that isn't too far off from that of mushroom gravy. It looks like bread crusts at the edges of the body but the center is darker. Two fingers of head on this pour. It is made of evenly medium-sized bubbles the color of flypaper. Excellent lacing yields arched eyebrow remnants of foam.

This smells like more brown ale than IPA (of the two styles this beer purports to hybridize) upfront. It remains that way throughout. Toasted malt - like some nice, crusty bread (I know I already used that descriptor in the appearance, but if the shoe fits...) - is all over the place, with hints of caramel and milk chocolate. The hops seem mostly floral to this nose. No real citrus or pine, but daisy and honeysuckle - sure. As the beer warms I get some grapefruit in about one out of every four sniffs. As far as hoppy brown ales go (which is how I am reviewing Hop Karma) this is a delight.

"Brown IPA" my ass; this is a brown ale all the way. This beer showcases its malt profile well, acheiving a pleasant balance between bread, caramel, light chocolate and almond. The hops are there with a floral flourish and grapefruit peel (but not fruit) bitterness. The beer finishes strong on the chocolate with only a touch of lingering hop bitterness. Well balanced and among the best brown ales I've had.

A nice medium body more in line with a porter than a brown ale - but then being more like a porter never hurt a brown ale in my book. Carbonation level is just right, though any less would be discouraged. A brown ale this balanced and tasty is a wonderful gameday session candidate for those Autumn Saturdays and Sundays; great drinkability.

This offering from Terrapin has impressed me very much. I like it as much as I do their Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - a feat considering that I usually dislike brown ales. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

another fine brew from Georgia.

A - really dark brown with a hue of ruby red when held to the light. Tannish head that eventually settles to just a halo at the the glass.

S - Kind of a typical brown ale with a punch of hops. Roasty malts and a touch of chocolate malts. Hops dance unexpectedly in the background.

T - really malty. Some nutty like a brown ale would, and then don't forget the hops! Carmels and bitter hops. Hops kick in after the malt.

M - Light to medium mouth feel. Not too much carbonation. Not a big aftertaste, but it lingers longer on your breath. No alcohol burn or feel.

D - Really easy drinking. I could drink this all night. There's no aspect that overpowers another. Yet another brew to seek out if you find yourself in the deep south.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a deep brown with about 1 finger of head that quickly recedes.

The smell is slightly sour hops to the nose, and has a roasted malt and chocolate aroma.

The taste is an interesting combination. There are slightly fruity citrus tastes intertwined with the roasted malt, molasses and chocolate. The finish is ever so slightly sour and bitter, but the majority of the hop flavor is up front. This is complex and delicious.

Mouthfeel is not very heavy. There's a slight bite to the tongue from the hops, but it doesn't linger and is smoothed out by the roasted malts.

Drinkability is high. This is very easy to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours an effervescent caramel with 3+ fingers of tan head. Stellar lacing & head retention. Pineyness & grapefruit, some caramel as this warms. taste has pineyness, grapefruit & toasty malt up front. Leafy hops, dryness, more grapefruit & a bit of caramel as this warms. finishes with flinty dryness, a hint of fruittyness, pineyness & more grapefruit. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation & excellent balance. Pretty easy to drink

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Dark brown, kinda rusty colored. Carbonation is great, nice head.

S: Dominated by the hops. A little bit of sweet fruit smell comes through, not too much of the malts.

T: Mmmm. This beer is delicious, earthy. A perfect blend of bitter hops and roasted malts. The coffee comes through well, not too strong, more of a bean taste.

M: Medium body, good carbonation.

D: Goes down smooth, a little bite as to be expected from a IBA.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

poured from a 12oz bottle, into a pint glass.

A: a deep ruby red, beautiful hue.

S: hints of floral notes, a light syrup sugar, and grapefruit citrus on the back end, very pleasant, albeit a little weak.

T: this is where the beer really shines, not being a brown ale fan normally, and absolutely loving IPA's, I was interested to see if the characters would work together, and they certainly do. With the hoppiness of the IPA cutting through the syrupy sugary nature of the ale, it dances on the pallet, with notes of citrus, grapefruit, and floral.

M: good, smooth, a little slick.

D: very good, I would love to have a few more of these, and would like to try more terrapin offerings.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

On draft at Village Draft House in Raleigh, served a nice dark brown with an off white head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves spotty lacing. Aroma is pine hops and some nutty malts. The taste is a great balance of pine hops with a plethora of malt flavors; caramel, toffee, chocolate and dried fruits. The beer is on the light side of medium with just a touch of carbonation. This one is very enjoyable and I must say, I'm glad they will be bottling it and will likely make this a regular purchase.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance...dark brown with a bit of a amber hue to it. Tan head and lots of lace as you drink it.

Smell...more on the hoppy side than the malt, but not overpowering.

Taste...a good balance but to me the hops came out on top but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel...IMO was excellent, probably heavy to the novice but very smooth to myself.

Drinkability...I'm a hophead and not a big fan of browns and I can say I'll be drinking this brew a lot. I think ti's more of a beer for hops lovers than people who enjoy browns. But can be enjoyed by both.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Dark brown body with plenty of ruby highlights, topped by a three finger beige head full of tunnels and caves.

Whiffs of citrus, then bakery, and a block of chocolate.

Taste has some early citrus, some light coffee, and a big bite of dark chocolate at the swallow.

Good medium mouthfeel gives something to chew on. Pleasing drinkability.

A pleasing hoppy brown.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer pours a milk-chocolatey brown with about an inch's worth of tan head on top. This dissipates to a ring around the edge. Great sticky webbing all over the glass. A thing of beauty. Smells of gingerbread, cocoa powder, bread, molasses, and vinous grapes.

Mouthfeel is nice and crisp. Great amount of carbonation. I love the flavor on this! It's like chocolate bread with a hop bite at the end. So much cocoa in this. This is the best brown ale I've ever had, hands down. Drinkability is not-surprisingly high. I could have another easy, too bad I only have one. This may be my new 'extra' to throw in in future trades. Highly recommend.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours out a dark, ruby red hue with a good looking off white head, lacing maintains on the glass after each sip. Nice looking brew so far... Lots of booze in the aroma, sweet malts with some brown sugar, some dark and overripened fruits make their way into the nose as well. Hints of cinnamon attack the tastebuds at first sip, leaving a fairly pleasant bitterness on the tongue. The huge, malty backbone of this beer then shines through, with biscuity characteristics, soothing sweetness, a bit of roastiness, a touch of vanilla and finally some bakers chocolate. As the malts wreak havoc on the tastebuds, the hops enter into the picture, imparting a piney and slightly bitter flavor that blends nicely with the moderate carbonation. Nice and slick mouthfeel on this one with a perfect medium body. Refreshing and different. Wow. A pretty complex brown ale by style, with a flavor profile that will leave you wanting more. Another good beer from Terrapin.

Terrapin Hop Karma IPA from Terrapin Beer Company