Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster | Terrapin Beer Company

Alströms:
3.9

1.25/5  rDev -67.5%

1.59/5  rDev -58.7%

A: The body is a very cloudy dark brown color with an eggshell colored fluffy head that delivers some good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a slam of catty hop aroma, followed by a strong alcohol scent, and a bit of band-aid. It's not that pleasant to me.

T: At first I get a very strong alcohol flavor, followed by what tastes like plastic or vinyl. It's pretty awful tasting, I don't know if it's always like this or what. I do get some woody oak flavor but nothing competes with the plastic and alcohol flavors that are so sickly strong. In the aftertaste I can fortunately taste some of the hops, which have a bit of pine flavor and are a bit earthy. It's unfortunate that I can't even drink this beer because of how it tastes.

M: The beer has a full mouthfeel. It is incredibly hard to drink this beer because of the overall flavors.

O: I could not drink this beer. I was expecting some big hoppy delicious beer with oak, but instead I was slammed with this awful combination of plastic and alcohol flavor. I kept telling myself "there's no way it's that bad" and had to take another sip. Obviously it wasn't getting any better with the sips. I would say that if I was in a life or death situation where I had to drink it, then I could. Given any other beer, I probably would choose a run-of-the-mill commercial beer over this.

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

2.64/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Murky deep amber with a one finger head that retains well with some lacing.

S/T - With a name like Big Hoppy Monster, there's minimal hop content in aroma and taste. Mostly dominated by dark fruits of plum and raisin, and a lot of sweetness. Oak comes in through the finish, with only a touch of earthy hops adding a small amount of bitterness.

M - Medium body, thick and creamy with a low carbonation. The oakiness helps dry it up a bit, but residual sugars are still left coating the mouth.

O - Totally not what I was expecting from the name. Almost no hop character, very sweet and malty, with the oak not really incorporated well into the beer. Kind of turns me off from trying the regular version.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Thanks again to AtlCarl as I work my way through all the beer that landed, with a resounding noise heard for blocks around, on my porch not long ago. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour is a clear light red that turns to mild murk as the last bit is poured from the bottle. Much like it's namesake sans oak, this is a beer dominated by malt (Big Malty Monster?) - my pharynx is filled to overflowing with sweet, sweet toffee. Neither hops nor oak appear on radar.

Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster, once tasted, definitely needs a moniker change. Caramel malts flap in your face like a loose feather boa covered in sickly sweet honey. Oak is barely visible over the shoulder of the malts, & a tiny bite of vanilla appears. Hops? None. Heavy. After a few sips I feel like I've ingested three Krispy Kremes in less than a minute. Stomach, expanding.

Just like the original, this is a heavy, filing, brutal beast of a beer that gets points knocked off for false advertising.; I couldn't do more than six ounces, nor would I want to. This monster doesn't even frighten to mediocrity; sub-par.

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%

2013 vintage. into snifter.

A: a very, very hazy brown body. head is off-white and is bubbly. retention and lacing are minimal.

S: wood and raisins. plums and figs. not getting any oxidation or off-aromas. not getting any hops either.

T: a lot of raisins. dark, sweet fruit. a lot of wood. distinctive oak flavor right smack in the middle of the drink. really kind of unpleasant. finish returns to more wood and dark fruit. not cloying without much in this finish.

M: carb is pretty average. full bodied.

D: really not a desirable brew for me. too much wood, not enough malt and hops to provide balance. not all beers should be put in oak! I actually get no hops. don't think ill be trying this one again.

Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster from Terrapin Beer Company