Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster | Terrapin Beer Company

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%

Drinking a 2013 today on a Tuesday afternoon. I tried it when it was fresh, I thought that the booze off settled the Hops. So what did I do? Age it! So I'm reviewing it now. Pours a murky dark amber body with heavy sediments floating around. Looks really good! The aroma is of nice caramel and chocolate notes. Fruitiness and some char. Very interesting. Let's go n for a taste. First hits with dense caramel, chocolate and fruit undertones. Slight floral hop presence. Finishes slightly dry and bitter-sweet. There's more oak presence in the aftertaste, lingering tobacco flavor. The feel is perfect, not too heavy, not too light. Carbonation does it's job and keeps the palate entertained.

Overall: I'm glad I didn't throw these cute bottles out. I didn't really like it fresh, but damn! Age does this brew wonders! Fresh, I would've given this brew a 3.2, and I love Amber/Red Ales! I'm looking forward to the rest I have saved. This brew is Worthy!

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%