Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster | Terrapin Beer Company

3.85/5
Alströms:
3.9

1.59/5  rDev -58.7%

A: The body is a very cloudy dark brown color with an eggshell colored fluffy head that delivers some good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a slam of catty hop aroma, followed by a strong alcohol scent, and a bit of band-aid. It's not that pleasant to me.

T: At first I get a very strong alcohol flavor, followed by what tastes like plastic or vinyl. It's pretty awful tasting, I don't know if it's always like this or what. I do get some woody oak flavor but nothing competes with the plastic and alcohol flavors that are so sickly strong. In the aftertaste I can fortunately taste some of the hops, which have a bit of pine flavor and are a bit earthy. It's unfortunate that I can't even drink this beer because of how it tastes.

M: The beer has a full mouthfeel. It is incredibly hard to drink this beer because of the overall flavors.

O: I could not drink this beer. I was expecting some big hoppy delicious beer with oak, but instead I was slammed with this awful combination of plastic and alcohol flavor. I kept telling myself "there's no way it's that bad" and had to take another sip. Obviously it wasn't getting any better with the sips. I would say that if I was in a life or death situation where I had to drink it, then I could. Given any other beer, I probably would choose a run-of-the-mill commercial beer over this.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle 2012 edition into a tulip glass. color is a deep red hue, with a rich looking but not overly large head. Smell is aromatic full of herbal, floral attributes. First taste is smoothier then expected, hops are present full of pine and earth. The oak comes through next it acts almost like a cleaning agent it takes the hops and levels it all out for an extremely easy drinking double IPA. Overall a really nice beer, I don't like to be beat over the head by hoppy bitterness i appreciate the skill it takes to turn a bold IPA into something that stays true to itself but it also equally drinkable and something i want to go back to seconds on.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a brown but when held up to light you can see the reddish hue of this beer. Has a light tan head that dissipates after awhile.
S- Oak,Hops, and some caramel malts
T- Caramal malts with a nice oak background
M- Thin with solid carbonation
O- Theres a lot going on here but its well balanced and not over powering in any 1 area.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%