Terrapin Monk's Revenge | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States

Style: Belgian IPA

Availability: Spring

Originally Side Project #5, now a Spring release.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009

Reviews: 324 | Ratings: 677
4.14/5  rDev +8.4%

Bomber. Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a small white head, very little lacing. Aroma is a little estery with bananas and then a good amount of pine (slight resin) and citrus (grapefruit) hops. Flavor is abound with hops. There is a little bit of banana, some sweet malts, and finishes with citrus and resiny hop flavor. Mouthfeel has a tingle to it, pretty good body and a nice bitter finish. Overall a very good beer. Yet another solid Side Project from Terrapin, so far I would call this my favorite.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy honey lemon yellow. A finger thick white fluffy head builds and falls pretty fast. No lace.

Aroma is a blend of hops and Belgian character. Grapefruit, light fruit, banana, and a bit of spice back there.

Flavor is first Belgian, with light fruits, banana, and a nice spiciness. I don't get a specific hop character but a sturdy bitterness arrives late and dominates the finish.

Light body with a prickly carbonation. I'd like the carbonation to be less harsh. Nicely dry finish with a bit of resiny feel.

Overall a very good brew. I have a few nitpicks, but I enjoy this quite a bit.
I prefer pineapple/floral/pine hop notes to grapefruit, so while I think this is a good mix of Belgian and IPA, it's not the best kind of IPA for me. This is my first Belgian IPA. Color me intrigued.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have had only a few of beers of this style and havent been overly impressed with them,this seems to go along that line.Poured into a large tulip glass a mix og deep golden and burnt orange with a thin white head that is gone quickly leaving no lace behind as it settled very quickly.Belgian yeast aroams stand out most in the nose,slightly smokey and quite spicey with some overripe pineapple,just a hint of resiny American hop.Flavors are also more like a tripel in my mind than a dipa but its is pretty darn good.Phenolic spice flavors with some grilled pineapple flavors meld into a bit of citric hop but it never really comes thru to strong.If your a fan of say a hopped up tripel than you will be all about this,me I think its good but not anything to seek out for my taste.

3.82/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap.

A: Golden honey color with a bit of haziness. 3/4" fluffy white head that leaves mild lacing.

S: Typical Belgian triple smells up front with notable sweetness and fruitiness. Strong hop presence with strong citrus notes. Light alcohol on the tail end. Yummy smelling, but not as strong as I was expecting.

T: This is where this brew shines! Fantastic sweet malt backbone with a strong honey presence and a bit of light fruit. The hops take over from there with a strong melon rind presence and just the right amount of bitterness. Pleasant alcohol/bittersweet aftertaste.

M: Very much like a DIPA, very slick, oily and a bit chewy. Could go for a hint more carbonation, a first for a Terrapin brew IMO.

D: Good. While I would be hard pressed to put down more than a glass or two of this in a night I would have no trouble revisiting it a few times a week.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a pint glass and split three ways. Pours a frothy amber/yellow color. Lotta lacing on the glass. Lots of booze in the nose. Both aroma and taste are alcoholic, citrusy, and slightly bready. Overall, a decent brew. Alcohol is a little pronounced, which affects drinkability. Not bad in my opinion.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

I was lucky enough to be able to go to Barley's in Greenville on March 27, 2009 when they had a cask of this stuff. It's unfortunate that it is a one time release, though, because I thought it was a pretty darn good beer. This review is based off of my notes and will reference Bell's Hopslam a lot because I drank Hopslam a few hours before this beer so I could have a reference point.

Appearance: After ordering I was given this beer in a wine glass, one of those universal shapes that lies between a white wine glass and a red wine glass. This beer is a hazy golden orange color with about a half-inch of off white head. The head has a soft, creamy appearance that is supplemented by small carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head hangs around for quite a long time, and never really fades, it only dissipates to a thin layer covering the surface of the beer all the way down. Good amount of Belgian lace; much more than the Hopslam I drank a few hours ago.

Smell: As with other IPA's this beer has a wonderfully citrusy nose. There are strong aromas of grapefruit, orange, pineapple, and papaya, but these flavors are not as pronounced as they are in other beers, and this one doesn't smell quite like straight hop juice. Unlike other IPA's, however, this one has a faint Belgian yeast note, which is very pleasant.

Taste: This beer starts off with a pleasant candy like sweetness that is very Belgian in taste, along with a bit of sweet malt and yeast. For a brief moment in time one might mistake this for another Belgian beer, but then the hops come marching in (oh when the hops...oh when the hops...oh when the hops go marching in). They bring with them the usual hop flavors of grapefruit, orange, and pineapple, only not as pronounced as some other IPA's. They more than make up for this, however, with a wonderful clean and clear flavor that is much more pleasant than the cloying bitterness of some lesser quality IPA's. When the hop flavors die down the beer finishes with the same clean bitterness, and also a pronounced dryness similar to other Belgian beers.

Mouthfeel: This is a very smooth, robust, and medium-to-medium-full-bodied IPA. It has moderate carbonation, but the bubbles are so small and soft that it's actually quite pleasant to swirl them around in the mouth. No real complaints here, but it isn't quite perfect enough to warrant a five.

Drinkability: At first I wondered about the drinkability of this beer, but once I let it warm up it really opened up and released the wonderful Belgian characteristics that, in my opinion, were well balanced with the heavy amount of hops. The IPA part of this beer sticks out a lot more than the Tripel part, but that's exactly what I was looking for.

Notes: Overall I was pretty impressed with my first Belgian IPA, and I'm glad I got a chance to try it. I have little faith that Terrapin will make this a regular beer in their lineup or even a seasonal, but if they did I'd definitely buy it again - and that's the highest form a praise a beer can get. It is, overall, more mild than Hopslam or other Imperial IPA's, but if you're looking for something that fits that description than make sure to try Monk's Revenge before it's gone.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear honey, amber-orange color with fluffy head that takes a while to disappear.
Has a lot of the usual Belgian aromas. Lots of fruit, orange juice, lime juice and candy sugar. Grassy and earthy hops are pretty prominent as well.
Lots of Belgian flavors to along with the aroma. But, the hops come to the forefront. Grassy, earthy, and citrus rind. It has the candy sugar and sweet fruits. While the hops play a significant role, the sweetness really comes through.
A little syrupy and oily, but good, small-bubble carbonation keeps the palate fairly clean.
Pretty drinkable. It seemed a little hot to drink all night, but it's a good sipper.
A very good offering from Terrapin and glad to see them reach successfully beyond the norm.

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Hazed, orange-gold body with a ½ inch of creamy-looking, white head.

Smell: Fragrant tropical fruit medley aroma paired with some spicy and sweet-smelling candy notes and just a splash of white wine.

Taste: Sweet malts with a hint of breadiness and covered in orange blossom honey and candi sugar. Meager pinch of cracked cloves. Send in the fruits; everything from pineapple to nectarine to grapefruit to even some yeast-derived banana. Moderate hop bitterness. Tiny pinch of acidity. Small sip of Pinot Gris. Oily citrus peel character and a final touch of spice on the bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a bolstered oily heft to it. Medium-high carbonation, though I did have a bottle earlier which had a fairly low carbonation.

Drinkability: Why, it's a veritable hoot! Reminiscent of Stone's Cali-Belgique. The writing of this review paired well with the Murray Head song "One Night in Bangkok" playing on the TV behind me. Ah, Murry Head, we hardly knew ye.

3.86/5  rDev +1%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with some bubbles flowing to the top, feeding a white bubble head that fades quickly to a ring and leaves almost no lacing. Pretty lackluster looking brew actually.

I really like the way this one smells. It's got a good balance of citrus hops and sweet Belgian yeast, which smells like ripe apples to me in the beer. There's a bit of floral pine lingering in the nose as well and a noticeable alcohol burn in the nose that I wasn't expecting.

The taste starts with a quick citrus hop burst but is more dominated by the fruity Belgian backbone than the aroma. The finish has the same piny presence that the nose suggests with a bitterness that offsets the alcohol burn.

The mouthfeel is more like a DIPA - slick with oily hop juice but comes to a slightly dry finish. The carbonation was fairly low on this one.

This is another decent brew in the Side Project series from Terrapin. Nothing groundbreaking, but a very drinkable IPA with plenty of Belgian character in the taste.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Slightly hazy, copper colored body and a big white head. Decent head retention with little lace.

S - Moderate hop aroma with some fruity pineapple hop notes. Nice yeast character of clove and vanilla with some banana notes.

T - Fruity hops with lots of yeast character and sweet malt. Smooth yeast character of clove and vanilla. The finish is well balanced with moderate bitterness and some grapefruit hop flavor.

M - Smooth and creamy with moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Pretty nice overall, but a bit weak on the hops. More like a slightly Americanized tripple than a Belgian IPA.

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz bottle that my lady picked up for me at Green's off Buford in Atlanta, GA. As usual, I am stoked to try something new from Terrapin. Served up in my DFH shaped pint for ultimate IPA experience.

A: Well . . . its less than epic. Pours an incredibly, crystal clear orange hue. Held to the light, you get more of an orange tinged yellow color. A pretty good amount of carbonation activity in that clear body. The pour yielded a finger or so of white head, but it quickly fell to a thin white ring. That ring tries what it can with some lace, but really to no avail. I am a bit worried.

S: The smell is a big improvement. There is a big DIPA presence kicking here with some major hoppiness. When I popped the cap, I was immediately hit with a bit of slap yo momma hops. The hops are of the grapefruit presence, lots of citric and bitter aromas coming forth. Then you get that Belgian yeast and malt. The malt smells bready with a touch of sweetness that is really nice representation of the unmistakable Belgian variety. Smells really nice.

T: Whoa, we have found the hops. Lots of citrus hops in here. Big time grapefruit presence that is slightly puckering in bitterness. The hops are VERY in your face. There is also a bit of earthy hoppiness as well. The hops smack you and then get a pretty stern talking to by its Belgian supervisor. The Belgian qualities give you that breadiness from the malt along with a touch candied sugar. The Belgian spices are well represented along with a touch of orange peel and skin in the finish. The Belgian Tripel qualities do a good job of keeping the DIPA qualties in check, but that DIPA is like that 3 year old you just can't reach. You can only try to contain it.

M: Medium bodied brew that has that slick and oily DIPA quality to it. It is sticky and coating of the palate. Carbonation keeps this crisp and pretty smooth. ABV has some bite, not going lie. It shows its at or around 9% for sure. Aftertaste is mostly that cooling malt and Belgain yeast spice trying to contain that bitterness that tries to linger.

D: Well this is a drinkable brew. My only squabble is that this is far more DIPA than Belgian. There just isn't that balance I was looking for. If this beer is cold, that DIPA quality really comes out big time. Closer to room temperature, you get more Belgian qualities. I must be fair in that respect, but this is a very hop-centric brew. I just feel like they took the IPA side a bit further than the Belgian side. Still both are represented. Still I am love of all things Terrapin. If Terrapin were a band, I would be a groupie (like a hardcore groupie). I am going to take this experience as if they put on a show where I wasn't completely satisfied. Maybe the set list didn't have my favorite song, but I still had a good time. I may have contemplated whether or not I'd go back stage on this night, but I still went and made the best of it.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

When I saw that Terrapin's Side Project Release 5 was a Belgian DIPA, I had to pick up two bottles, and not just my usual one. The second I popped the cap, the hops hit me from an arms length while the beer was still in the bomber and I was not attempting to smell it. After poring into a Duvel Tulip, the beer looked clear, orange golden, and bubbly, but the head was tiny and remained that way. The smell from the glass was dominated by floral and citrus hops, and was true to the DIPA side of this hybrid style. The taste was mellow and hoppy and probably closer to a milder Belgian Pale Ale like Duvel than some of the other highly yeast driven beers from there. The spices showed up much more clearly after the beer warmed and the beer turned less hop centric. Decent body, but a little under carbonated for either style in my opinion. Not as bold as I was hoping, but very enjoyable anyway.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Clear golden in color with a tint of amber. Thin layer bright white head. Sloppy lacing.

S - Smells like a Belgian triple.. spicy and sour yeast with a slight fresh hop aroma.

T - Belgian yeast spice up front, fruits and a hint of hops in the middle.. .. sugary sweet over all.

M - Medium bodied.. nice coating on the palate.. not sticky or dry.

D - Easy drinker here, sweet and smooth.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Nice addition to the Sideproject lineup. I'm not sure the hopped up Belgians are always my favorite style, but this one is nicely balanced and not too prickly. Pours medium golden with an okay head that fades to a thin swirl. Smells sweet and citrusy to start, with a nice undertone of lemon and then some Belgian sweetness and more earthy hops. Taste is somewhat similar- anice blend of citrusy hops that pack just enough punch to make a statement, but restrained enough to not completely overwhelm the sweet malt and fruity Belgian esters. Smooth, citrusy, and slightly sweet in the mouth- refreshing. Very nice, I can see drinking this a number of times.

Terrapin Monk's Revenge from Terrapin Beer Company