Terrapin Monk's Revenge | Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Availability: Spring

Originally Side Project #5, now a Spring release.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

A- Carmel color that has small almost no bubbles. Nice foamy head, about a finger.

S- THe smell is very boozy, has a background of malts and SOME hops. Smells like an intriguing sipper.

T- Booze, malts and some other dark sweetness. Hops are present but not strong and dominant. Belgian IPA very interesting....

M- Good, flavors are strong and assertive, but pretty relaxing to sip on.

O- Good interesting style from a great brewer. Nothing bad from here.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

A - A clear copper color. Nice head retention, a little lace on the glass. Not as much as I would expect from a belgian-style. It's appearance looks more like an imperial IPA.

S - Wow, overload of the aroma senses! Alot going on here. I think the belgian style dominates here on the smell front. Some hoppy citrus notes, with some sweet candy.

T - Wow, yum. Overload on the taste buds! Very sweet, belgian yeast up front, but hops kick in at the end. The high abv is surprisgly masked a bit. Well done!

M - Very crisp, just the way I like it. High carbonation, and a nice aftertaste.

D - Pretty good for such a high ABV beer. I could put down 2 and feel damn good about it. I 1st had this beer at the brewery back in 09 when it was released as a side project. It quickly became a favorite of mine and I go to the store the 1st day it is released each year to pick up a 4 pack of this awesome brew. A rite of spring...Monk's Revenge!

4.42/5  rDev +16%

A: There wasn't a lot of haze on the golden color here, but I got maybe a skosh. About a finger or so creme colored head topped of the brew with flair.

S: Signature Belgian IPA grassiness, with a generous amount of citrus air freshener. A bit of candy sugar also added to the excitement.

T: This is the first Belgian IPA I've had in a while that actually added some fruitiness to the mix. A good taste descriptor: Think FFF Alpha King, with added fresh lawn clippings. Bitter, but with a clean yeasty finish.

M: Tutti Fruitti... but fruit was just sweet enough to make it luscious, without making it syrupy. The prickly carbonation played a wonderful duet with the grassy notes and the lacing was moderate.

O: I've been disappointed with the last few Terrapin beers that I've tasted. However, when they're on, they're REALLY on! Tasty stuff...

4.04/5  rDev +6%

A - pours an orangish amber color with a nice one finger head that doesn't necessarily dissipate, but it doesn't stick around too long either.

S - the nose is full of Belgian yeast (spiciness and dark fruits) with a bunch of grapefruit hops nestled in there with them. The nose is backloaded with booze.

T - The name is very indicative of what's inside the bottle. Starts off with some nice caramel malts that are intertwined with dark, spicy fruits (a bit of fig with cinnamon). This must be the Belgian side of the beer. These flavors were soon overtaken an onslaught of sweet yet bitter grapefruit hops. There is also a weird bubblegum flavor that lingers around, akin to a German Hefe. Pretty interesting IPA.

M - a little thin for the amount of abv in this, but goes down pretty damn smoothly nonetheless. Also, the abv is moderately hidden but noticeable.

D - Another graceful dive into the IPA realm for Terrapin with this one. I really enjoy the uniqueness of the Belgian variant (not my first Belgian IPA but I have them infrequently enough to make me forget about them from time to time). I really enjoyed Monk's Revenge. Big thanks to gford217 for sending this guy my way!

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

Absolutely gorgeous beer. Pours a brilliant, crystal-clear amber body with slight reddish hues. Nice two-finger thick head with decent retention and lacing. This really is a beautiful beer. Totally crystal clear -- you can watch the individual bubbles trickle up the beer.

Aroma is pleasant. Belgian yeast, hops, etc. Taste has a bit more complexity -- Belgian yeast with the requisite spiciness, ethanol, hops and sweet malt. It's quite the medley of flavors. As mentioned, the alcohol shows up fairly big -- perhaps it's accentuated by the Belgian-y flavors, but I found it detectable throughout. The dominance of the alcohol is what held the taste score at a 4.

Mouthfeel is good. Appropriate carbonation and body.

This is perhaps by favorite Belgian IPA. It's not super hop-forward, but I feel like it puts together a pretty nice blend of flavors. I wish the alcohol was masked a bit better -- but I guess it's acceptable for a nearly 10% beer. While it's a pleasure to drink, it's also absolutely gorgeous to look at in the glass.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

2011 Vintage, 12 oz bottle with Green Turtle Crown.

A- Clear, light orange with a small cream colored head. The head fades quickly to the edges, but leaves some lacing.

S- Citrus- Grapefruit mostly, and some sweet malts.

T- Orange, Grapefruit, malts.

D- Medium carbonation, some sweetness, but a nice balanced beer. Very drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

12oz bottle to pilsner.

A: About the color of iced tea maybe a little more golden. Crystal Clear moderate white head. Nice and lacy.

S: Banannas, citrus, slightly floral, alcohol when it starts to warm up.

T: It tastes like Banana Bread and you used unshelled black walnuts in it. The transition from sweet to bitter is very harsh and drastic. Its like I am drink 2 different beers one that is sweet and the other a bitter IPA. The two do not mix well at all.

O: Meh. Definitely not a favorite in either style or combined styles. Good attempt I guess. I won't be looking to try another anytime soon even though I have one in the fridge.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Vintage 2011 bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. A mixture of two of my favorite styles. Another beer in the same genre I guess would be Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild, right? We'll see. I like A Little Sumpin' Wild, so I'm optimistic.

Opaque orange with a foamy head and lacing. The aroma tilts towards the Trappist yeast smells of banana and bubble gum. The taste starts quite sweet as you might expect from a triple. I would prefer more hops to balance the sweetness.

The mouth feel is medium; not too bubbly, thick or thin. Overall, not terrible but not great either. A more hoppy presence would have helped me along here.

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

pours a translucent amber with decent white frothy head. lots of carbonation bubbles being released throughout glass.

interesting smell. starts very yeasty and then the hop aroma backs it up well. belgian yeast with citrus is unusual smell to say the least. reminds me of sticking my nose in the fermenting bucket of a hombrew.

belgian yeast brings the malty sweetness of a tripple: bananas, yeast & munich malts. nice hoppy flavors as well: orange peel, pine and a bitter aftertaste. the more it warms, the more the 9.5% abv leaves a hint of booze.

medium body with a nice oily feel. good amount of carbonation. nice.

I believe Terrapin achieved exactly what they were aiming for: sweet, malty notes of a tripple with a nice hop balance of an IPA. which brings me to my dilemma: they achieved desired results but I don't really care for the mix. oh well, glad i tried it.

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Duvel Tulip
A little dark golden on appearance with white head.
Loved the aroma, new at this can't quite destinguish yet but it was great.
The taste was awesome, I have loved every sip so far. Sweet with a little bitterness to me a perfect mix. I have tried many from this brewery
and this is the first to really push me to review. I Loved it

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to sburrough. 2010 Vintage on label. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy copper color with a one finger off white head. Head dissipates quickly and leaves a foamy ring around the glass that leaves decent foamy lacing.

Nose smells heavily of Belgian yeast with some fruity notes up front. There is also a good dose of floral hops. The yeast dominates up front and the floral notes seem secondary at first but they really fill out the back end of the nose. There is also a slightly spicy character. Nothing that noticeable but it is there.

The taste is more complex than the nose. The yeast is here, as is a sweetness and some fruit flavors but the floral hops come across a bit stronger. The spiciness at the finish is also considerably more prominent than in the nose. As the beer warms there is a decent warming in the back of the throat from the alcohol.

Medium body with low/medium carbonation. At times it feels thicker on the tongue than it really is. Alcohol is definitely present at the finish as the beer warms but it's not overpowering.

Drinkability is ok. Definitely an interesting beer. Not the best I've had of the style but not the worst. Probably a one and done. Not a beer I would seek out again unless it was really fresh.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

By pure chance I'm drinking my 2nd consecutive Belgian style IPA. I didn't realize it until I took my first sniff. This follows Great Divide Hercules Double IPA.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. It shows a hazy copper to light amber color with a scant finger and a half whitish head. Thick strands of lacing.

The smell at first was very fruity and very similar to the Hercules, but I soon noticed it seemed a bit more tart and somewhat less rich. Ripe sweet citrus at first, but as the head disappears it becomes more grapefruity than sweet, and a slight bit of horsiness appears.

Taste is less interesting than the smell. A bit of sweet malt up front followed by some light hoppy bitterness and a taste of alcohol. It seems a bit watered down to me. As the beer warmed, I noticed more of the Belgian yeast. Some grapefruit as well.

Light to moderate mouthfeel. Nice carbonation bite, and some burn due to the 9.6% ABV.

Very easy to drink considering the alcohol content. I liked the 2nd glass better. It's not as good as the Hercules, but it's worthy, a good drinker.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Had this on 2010-06-08 at Rivermont Pizza in Lynchburg, VA (from tasting notes)

A - Hazy copper with a short, white head.

S - Belgian mustiness from the yeast, corn muffin, alcohol. Not all that interesting.

T - Tastes like a combo of a Triple and a DIPA. Interesting experiment but it doesn't work for me. I'm not a fan of belgian yeast and West Coast style hoping. Initial roasted grain, belgian yeast followed by the hop bitterness but without pine or much citrus. Then a sour taste and a fairly dry, clean finish with some lingering bitterness. The alcohol is pretty apparent. It seems to me this beer doesn't know what it wants to be.

M - Light-medium body and carbonation. Mildly creamy.

D - No thanks but I applaud the effort.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle labeled "Vintage: 2010." Poured into a Duvel glass.

A- Opaque amber with a slight white head.

S- Sweet malt, banana, Belgian yeast esters. Slightly bready.

T- Hop bitterness meets with a sweet backbone. Big hop presence, almost tart bitterness, slightly peppery. Dry, bitter finish. Less yeast complexity than expected. First few sips taste very much like a typical IIPA, but the Belgian Tripel shows through after I adjust to the bitterness.

M- Medium body. Nice carbonation level- somewhere between an American IPA and a Belgian ale.

D- Smooth and very drinkable for 9.6% abv.

I enjoyed this beer but I'm not sure if the two styles present in it every really married.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

I poured this into a pint glass thanks to Kirkpjr
The 12 oz bottle produced a two finger worth of billowy white head sitting on top of a hazy amber orange brew. I got some Belgian yeast coming from the nose with a nice hop aroma. Sweet citrus and pine sums it up the nose well. The flavor is more of the nose being sweet and bitter it is really well balanced. The mouthfeel is medium with ample carbonation for the style. The only drawback was a slight alcohol heat that would keep this from being something I would drink mass quantities of other than that I enjoyed the brew and would gladly drink it again

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a lightly hazed, golden amber with a 1-finger, easily dissipating whitish head that leaves less than a cover but does leave sporadic bits of lace.

The smell is faint; it takes some time to locate the aroma. What I end up with is some yeast and candy sweetness plus a dose of alcohol in the end. No hops to be found here.

The taste starts off with a nice bitter bite, some medicinal/menthol flavor that goes quickly away leaving some piney hops.

Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation.

Drink: This improves as it warms and, while not especially good, is decent. Maybe this is older, who can tell without bottle dating, but for a DIPA/Tripel, there is some missing elements here.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip...

Appearance: Pours a nice clear amber-orange color with about a finger of head consisting of medium and larger bubbles. Surprising retention is shown as I haven't gotten a lot of that from past Terrapin beers. All in all, this is a very solid looking beer.

Smell: This is a Belgian IPA, but it smells a lot more like an American IPA bordering on DIPA. The nose is all full cone hops. There is a bit of spiciness, but not nearly what I would expect for a Belgian IPA. There definitely is a solid malt backbone, but overall, this one definitely leans towards the DIPA style.

Taste: The nose was full of hops, and the first sip doesn't disappoint. I would equate it to chewing on pine needles from a freshly cut Christmas tree. Juniper notes dominate the palate. The back-end displays some of the Tripel qualities; the spiciness from some cinnamon and cloves, a bit of malted grains, and a touch of candied sugar round this one out.

Mouthfeel: Terrapin doesn't make a light-bodied beer, in my humble opinion, and this beer certainly lives up to form. This smoothly takes over your mouth and palate, filling every nook and cranny with the hop bitterness that slowly moves towards the sweet finish.

Drinkability: Decently drinkable. I was expecting a completely different beer that what I got, but it's fairly drinkable for what it turned out to be. I'd probably drink a lot more of this beer if it was distributed locally, and that's saying enough right there.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

A: Pale amber orange. Slightly hazy with a decent off white head.

S: Nice belgian yeast scents, honey and floral notes stream out. You can smell a bit of booze mixed in with brown sugar. In the finish there is a nice grassy hop scent. This smells like one terrific beer.

T: Found the hops. Nice grassy hops, bitter follows through to sweet malty backbone. Some booze present, with some fruity flavors in the back. As it warms I pick up more citrus notes, and a little more of the belgian yeast character.

M: Slick, medium bodied, and a little syrupy. Decent carbonation, but not necessarily of typical belgian proportions, finish is on the dry side.

D: Good. I would definitely get this again, though it may not be might top choice. Well rounded though I would like there to be a little more emphasis on the belgian side.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

I've received this beer from several BA's. Thanks guys. This is not a style I tend to enjoy so I will admit it had an uphill battle with me.
Poured from a bottle into my pint glass.

A: Bright clear amber orange. One finger of off white head. Sticky lace. Good retention with a solid cap.

S: Mild piney hops are intertwined with sweet candied dark fruits. Amazing how they were able to pull both aspects from both styles and mix them perfectly.

T: Again mild piney hops with a solid dose of sugar drizzled dark fruit. Very tasty.

M: Medium creamy body. Light carbonation.

D: Overall this is the best BIPA I've ever tried. If they all tasted like this I would have a lot more love for the style.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage received courtesy of scubarex. Much appreciated, Russ! Bottle feature a crazy scarlet cloaked terp gettin his musicality on astride a donkey.

A preface here...my previous experience with Terrapin beers was an exercise in near extremes: really enjoyed the oatmeal stout and thought the Hopsecutioner tasted like up charles. Ah, memories.

Hazy orange pour yields a thin billow of cloudage before diving back into the depths. Only a thin white line remains.

Happy Yeaster! Spicy banana hammocks and fruity esters with a mild undercurrent of citric rind. She's a lot more Belgian than IPA on the nose and that's not where this turkey prefers to gobble.

Clove, banana, and spice. Yeast blasts over what I can only hope and imagine is a base beer tutored in hops. However, this bad boy is skipping class leaving a tripel in turtle's clothing. Upon attaining room temperature status, the citric rind pokes like the turtle from the shell. A little too little too late you funky chordata, but it's at least enough to bump the taste up a notch.

Mouthfeel is medium with a dry finish. It's the yeast it could do for me, though I never get tired of a good pun. Definitions of good, however, may differ greatly.

Overall, I'm starting to feel that Terrapin just isn't my bag. As Principal Skinner once said..."Prove me wrong children. Prove me wrong!"

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle into a goblet.

Pours a crystal clear copper, topped with a finger of foamy off-white head. This retains with a layer of fizzy froth that lines the outer rim of the glass and throws a cascade of spotty foam up on the sides. The aroma is floral, piney, and citric smelling, with notes of fruit, bubblegum, and spice from the yeast mixing with malt to impart a sweet twang in the nostrils.

The taste has a bitter citric bite to it that propels earth, pith, and rind out into the mouth. Soft fruit esters mix in with the bready sweetness of the malts to offer up some balance. A peppery spice element trails into the finish, which is feeling dry and yeasty. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, being sharp up front and then more mellow and creamy feeling, as this rides along on the oily hop slickness underneath. Alcohol shows itself with some light warmth that hangs on the breath but I would have never guessed that this was close to 10%. Well done on that account.

Like others have said, this came a bit more like a DIPA/Tripel hybrid than a traditional Belgian IPA. While it lacked some complexity, this still stayed fairly interesting and drank VERY nicely for the size of it. Another solid Terrapin entry.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from notes. Picked up at Rick's in Alexandria.

Pours yellow-orange with a nice white head. Nose is nice with a lot of spice and a bit of fruit. Really good amount of floral, citrus, and herbal hops. The taste is hoppy but not too bitter with a good deal of spice. Medium feel with some alcohol. A nice example of a (luckily) increasingly-common style.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a slightly hazy amber, with a descent head. Smells of flowery hops and that unmistakable belgian funk. Taste is very satisfying. Tastes like a mediocre tripel, with an interesting, and distinct hops finish. The hops firm up and define the broadly, beglian base, giving it a crisp finish. The finish is helped by a bubbly carbonation that helps to make this otherwise heavy beer lighter and more drinkable. Not bad at all. Maybe not quite as good as La Chouffe's Beglian IPA, but well worth a purchase.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This beer is described on the label as a cross between a Belgian tripel grainbill & yeast & a DIPA hop schedule. However, the color looks nothing like a tripel. It pours a rich amber color with a white head that was fairly thin. Left some nice lacing in spite of the small head, though.

I actually got not a lot of hops coming in the aroma. Maybe this was because it isn't a super recent release. Nevertheless, I was surprised that most of the aroma I got was yeast & malt/sugar based. Some stone fruit aromas -- peach/plum/apricot. Also, a slight sweetness about the smell. Not much that smells like a DIPA here.

I actually liked the taste better than the appearance & aroma. Three flavors dominated & were balanced with each other: The peach/apricot/plum fruit flavors, a strong Belgian candy sugar sweetness, and a great big finish of strong but balanced bitterness.

There is nothing in the taste of this beer that would lead you to think it was 9.6%abv. Remarkably drinkable with a light, crisp body, though slightly undercarbonated.

3.32/5  rDev -12.9%

12 oz bottle of the 2010 release, poured into a New Belgium globe

A - Hazy amber with a small white head. Minimal lacing.

S - Huge blasts of banana, sweet malt, citrus and spice.

T - Pine resin hops dominate with a bit of banana, yeast and spice.

M - Creamy with a medium body, medium carbonation and a dry finish.

D - Ehh I can taste the +9% more then I'd prefer, probably a one-and-done for me.

This one didn't do too much for me, I just found the taste to bee too messy and piney. Sad, as the nose really showed promise.

Terrapin Monk's Revenge from Terrapin Beer Company