Terrapin Monk's Revenge | Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Availability: Spring

Originally Side Project #5, now a Spring release.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009

firstprev| 626-650 | 651-675 | 676-700  | next → last
3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz bottle that my lady picked up for me at Green's off Buford in Atlanta, GA. As usual, I am stoked to try something new from Terrapin. Served up in my DFH shaped pint for ultimate IPA experience.

A: Well . . . its less than epic. Pours an incredibly, crystal clear orange hue. Held to the light, you get more of an orange tinged yellow color. A pretty good amount of carbonation activity in that clear body. The pour yielded a finger or so of white head, but it quickly fell to a thin white ring. That ring tries what it can with some lace, but really to no avail. I am a bit worried.

S: The smell is a big improvement. There is a big DIPA presence kicking here with some major hoppiness. When I popped the cap, I was immediately hit with a bit of slap yo momma hops. The hops are of the grapefruit presence, lots of citric and bitter aromas coming forth. Then you get that Belgian yeast and malt. The malt smells bready with a touch of sweetness that is really nice representation of the unmistakable Belgian variety. Smells really nice.

T: Whoa, we have found the hops. Lots of citrus hops in here. Big time grapefruit presence that is slightly puckering in bitterness. The hops are VERY in your face. There is also a bit of earthy hoppiness as well. The hops smack you and then get a pretty stern talking to by its Belgian supervisor. The Belgian qualities give you that breadiness from the malt along with a touch candied sugar. The Belgian spices are well represented along with a touch of orange peel and skin in the finish. The Belgian Tripel qualities do a good job of keeping the DIPA qualties in check, but that DIPA is like that 3 year old you just can't reach. You can only try to contain it.

M: Medium bodied brew that has that slick and oily DIPA quality to it. It is sticky and coating of the palate. Carbonation keeps this crisp and pretty smooth. ABV has some bite, not going lie. It shows its at or around 9% for sure. Aftertaste is mostly that cooling malt and Belgain yeast spice trying to contain that bitterness that tries to linger.

D: Well this is a drinkable brew. My only squabble is that this is far more DIPA than Belgian. There just isn't that balance I was looking for. If this beer is cold, that DIPA quality really comes out big time. Closer to room temperature, you get more Belgian qualities. I must be fair in that respect, but this is a very hop-centric brew. I just feel like they took the IPA side a bit further than the Belgian side. Still both are represented. Still I am love of all things Terrapin. If Terrapin were a band, I would be a groupie (like a hardcore groupie). I am going to take this experience as if they put on a show where I wasn't completely satisfied. Maybe the set list didn't have my favorite song, but I still had a good time. I may have contemplated whether or not I'd go back stage on this night, but I still went and made the best of it.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

When I saw that Terrapin's Side Project Release 5 was a Belgian DIPA, I had to pick up two bottles, and not just my usual one. The second I popped the cap, the hops hit me from an arms length while the beer was still in the bomber and I was not attempting to smell it. After poring into a Duvel Tulip, the beer looked clear, orange golden, and bubbly, but the head was tiny and remained that way. The smell from the glass was dominated by floral and citrus hops, and was true to the DIPA side of this hybrid style. The taste was mellow and hoppy and probably closer to a milder Belgian Pale Ale like Duvel than some of the other highly yeast driven beers from there. The spices showed up much more clearly after the beer warmed and the beer turned less hop centric. Decent body, but a little under carbonated for either style in my opinion. Not as bold as I was hoping, but very enjoyable anyway.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

A - Clear golden in color with a tint of amber. Thin layer bright white head. Sloppy lacing.

S - Smells like a Belgian triple.. spicy and sour yeast with a slight fresh hop aroma.

T - Belgian yeast spice up front, fruits and a hint of hops in the middle.. .. sugary sweet over all.

M - Medium bodied.. nice coating on the palate.. not sticky or dry.

D - Easy drinker here, sweet and smooth.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Nice addition to the Sideproject lineup. I'm not sure the hopped up Belgians are always my favorite style, but this one is nicely balanced and not too prickly. Pours medium golden with an okay head that fades to a thin swirl. Smells sweet and citrusy to start, with a nice undertone of lemon and then some Belgian sweetness and more earthy hops. Taste is somewhat similar- anice blend of citrusy hops that pack just enough punch to make a statement, but restrained enough to not completely overwhelm the sweet malt and fruity Belgian esters. Smooth, citrusy, and slightly sweet in the mouth- refreshing. Very nice, I can see drinking this a number of times.

firstprev| 626-650 | 651-675 | 676-700  | next → last