Terrapin Pumpkinfest | Terrapin Beer Company

good
good
Read the review
Terrapin PumpkinfestTerrapin Pumpkinfest

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Although this is a pumpkin beer, it is a lager and therefore doesn't belong in the pumpkin ale category. Originally a Side Project, now a Fall seasonal in six-packs.

Added by mikesgroove on 10-06-2009

3.19/5  rDev -14.2%

If you read my original, bottle review dtd 20 November 2013, I said that I will not be revisiting this beer. I was not so prescient as to foresee them putting it in CANs, which I why I am having another go at it today, H, 10 December 2015. The CANQuest (tm) lives!

From the CAN: "Harvest [-] Spice [-] Gourd [-] Autumn"; "Seasonal Sessions Limited Release"; "Like the changing leaves, the Terrapin Pumpkinfest remids you that the Fall season is soon approaching. Brewed with real pumpkin and delicately spiced, this amber colored beauty will make for an easy pick."; "'Carving Out a Fall Tradition'".

Hoo ha! A loud Crack! CAN only mean that an inverted Glug is on its way. Oops! There was foam coming through the vent, so I may not be able to pull it off. Sure enough, as soon as I got it started, the foaming action was too much to deal with. Still, it settled into two fingers of foamy, tawny head with good retention and without breaching the rim of the glass. I am always glad for small favors. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was spicy with cinnamon, but that seemed like the extent of it. Is this a one trick pony? The taste was spicy, but that was about the extent of it. It was easy-drinking, but kind of ho-hum. Finish was dry, thanks to the spice, but I just felt unfulfilled. My original numbers stand out of sheer laziness, although they should probably be lower.

This has been my year for reviewing pumpkin beer, both ales (primarily) and lagers. It kind of bothers me that Stoudt's Pumpkinfest is listed as an Oktoberfest/Marzen, while this one is a Fruit/Vegetable beer. A decision may need to be made ...

From the bottle: "Pumpkin beers have been an American tradition since the Pilgrims hit Plymouth Rock, while Oktoberfest beers have been brewed in Germany since Prince Ludwig got hitched in 1810. Now Terrapin is 'CARVING OUT A FALL TRADITION' by combining these two great styles into a unique PumpkinFest beer."

My pour produced two dense fingers of tawny head that slowly fell away to wisps, leaving some nice, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy coppery-amber (SRM = > 13, ~ 17). Nose smelled heavily of cinnamon and nutmeg and I will be honest here - I am getting really tired of smelling the whole spice rack in these beers! Balance, people! And this coming from a self-avowed hophead who likes DIPAs. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, creamier than many of its ale counterparts. The taste was really muted and frankly kind of watery. What happened to the spices from the nose? They seemed to have disappeared! Finish was rather bland and nondescript. Unless they tweak the recipe for next year, I will not be revisiting this beer after the 2013 edition.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.17/5  rDev -14.8%

I purchased this beer in Total Wine, who gives a brief write up of each of their 6 packs(or 4 packs, in this case). The beer was described, more or less, as a cross between a pumpkin beer and an Oktoberfest, both of which I enjoy. The color was a nice amber with very little head, much of what you would expect from a beer of this kind. I thought it smelled fantastic, however, the taste was where I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer. I was just expecting a bit more. The pumpkin was a bit overwhelming and, to be honest, it tasted extremely similar to Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin Ale, which is roughly the same price for a 6 pack. I realize this beer is not an Ale, however, to me, the taste was pretty close. Like I said, it is a good beer, just gave me nothing that made it stand out and made me want to look for it again next fall.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy almost brown amber color. There was no head produced on the pour but a small fowmy ringlet is noticeable.
The aroma is faint spices and pumpkins.
The taste was good. It had a balanced flavor of malts and pumpkin and spices. All intermingled fairly well.
Pumpkinfest finishes with a low amount of diacetyl and a tad bitter.
A desent beer.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked this up in Alabama at Wish You Were Beer. Made with real pumpkin, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Aroma: Plump real pumpkin aroma! Sweet malty notes, followed by nutmeg and cinnamon. No hops noted. A hint of ginger as it is swirled.

Appearance: Deep gold color with a slight protein haze. Rocky off-white head with large bubbles at edge of glass. Very persistent head.

Flavor: Sweet and malty at first, but ends off-dry and very drinkable. Not a cloying sweetness at all. Strong nutmeg/allspice and ginger flavors after the first malt hit. Cinnamon flavor trails behind but distinct. I do taste pumpkin flesh and ends with a subtle astringency that I've come to associate with real pumpkin. Medium mouthfeel, almost creamy.

Overall: A very good Octoberfest beer, that is well balanced in its own right. The malty sweetness plays well with the spicing and evens out any of that astringency from spice and pumpkin. Very drinkable!

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter on Halloween

A: Burnt orange, opaque. A tan one finger head that dissipates down to spooky bubbles. Spectral lacing.

S: Cinnamon, pumpkin and clove dominate. Some malts, too.

T: Semi-sweet. A nice blend of Oktoberfest and pumpkin notes. Cinnamon and spices slide in to give it a tangy bite. A dry finish.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Very sessionable. I bet it's great on tap. A nice Halloween treat.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this pour from a bottle into a tasting glass. This was on a night when I was trying several other beers so there is an accurate benachmark to go off of. This Was one of the lower ranking pumpkins that felt like it had a higher ABV than most others I've had. I like my pumpkins mild and this one was hoppy like other Terrapin beers I've had. It was also spicy with a tough finish. On the darker golden side where as I prefer the lighter pumpkins. Overall finishes in the lower half of pumpkins I've had. Picked this up in a mixed 6 pack from whole foods in PA.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wait, this is a lager? Okay ... I was originally going to give this one a lower rating.

I went into this thinking it was going to be just a regular pumpkin ale. Upon closer inspection, the bottle said "malt beverage" so I thought hmm ...

Poured into a glass and the result was bright orange with an inch of bubbly white head. Wow! This is really a beautiful looking beer. I was expecting a moderate amount of hops, which was there included with the nutmeg and something that tasted of apples and light cinnamon. Dark pears and licorice came through toward the end.

Good mouthfeel, as is characteristic of most lagers.

The pumpkin spice is muted vs. other seasonal beers that claim to cater to pumpko-philes tastes, but it comes through quite well. Overall, a great seasonal offering by Terrapin.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amber orange color that is not transparent. It glows like a jack o lantern when you hold it up to the light. Good thick off white head that stays a few seconds and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Smell is all pumpkin spices a lot like pumpkin pie. Taste just like it smells. Full bodied feel in the mouth with a slight bitter aftertaste. Not the best pumpkin or Oktoberfest beer I have had but I definitely would drink another.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Liquid portion comes out an amber orange color. It glows like a jack-o-lantern when held up to the light and has decent clarity, but not completely, there's some particles floating a little. Frothy eggnog colored head with mostly small bubbles, has great lacing to it.

It's evident in the smell that Terrapin takes a SLIGHTLY different approach here than most pumpkin beers. Pumpkin pie spices are evident, heavy nutmeg and dashes of cinnamon, but there is decent malt/hop backbone as well. Munich malts and maybe some noble hops.

Taste is pretty decent, slight step down from the smell though. The pumpkin spices dominate the flavor bill. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and hints of brown sugar. After that there's some biter earthy natural pumpkin flavors. Malt and hop bill detectable, but overpowered by the pie spices.

Decent carbonation level, and very full bodied, flavor lingers for quite a bit. Not smooth, a little gritty. Not as balanced as it good be, it's sweet, bitter than sort of sweet again at the end. Still pretty drinkable. I think the recipe could be tweaked just a tad and it could be great, not just good like it is now. Still, glad to try another Terrapin beer, even if it's not my preferred style.

Terrapin Pumpkinfest from Terrapin Beer Company