Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Ratings: 3,399 |  Reviews: 790

4.96/5  rDev +29.8%

Super strong with lots of hops! One of my fav IPAs it's basically a douple IPA. The tartness of citrus hops is well balanced and it packs a punch at about 7% by volume, this is a beer that I drink year round very tasty!

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

4.91/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great First beer after work. High ABV %, slightly bitter, even body, another great beer by Terrapin.

4.89/5  rDev +28%

Yes, you can smell those nice green resin hops that I just love to smell when I crack open an IPA. The smell vaguely reminds me of the Stone IPA. I can tell this is going to be good. Upon the first sip the sweetness of the nice roasted malt hits you up front and then the green apple, citrus, pine hop flavors come into play leaving a long nice bitter dry finish. I love the potent resin like effect some IPA's give. This reminds me of a West Coast IPA actually. You can tell they put some different strains of hops in here too not just one dimensional at all. It also reminds me of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48 which you can take as a good or bad thing but to me I like that beer very much so its a good thing. Very well crafted beer. This is my first Terrapin and now I would like to try all of their product line... that tells you something right there. The thing that sets this apart from the regular East Coast IPA's like Latitude is that it has that potent resin like finish as I said before with a nice hop bite... plus the alcohol is very well masked at 7.3 so this beer will give you a buzz. I actually like this better than some West Coasters and will now hold a spot as one my favorite beers.

4.85/5  rDev +27%

This fine beverage got me to enter my first review. I am for the most part a hop-head so of course am familiar with countless ipa's, this one is certainly in the top three in my book. It is a well balanced, dry, fresh hoppy beer (though it doesn't say it is dry hopped) It at worst will not disappoint any ipa drinker. One would never guess it comes from the "south" as it has the west coast taste we fellow hopheads love.

4.84/5  rDev +26.7%

Had this a number of times, and it's one of my favorite IPAs.

Always had it in bottle form, usually poured in a glass. This particular one I poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Pours a dark gold color with a decent head, but I've seen better on a IPA. The smell is ideal, exactly what I look for out of an IPA. Same for the taste, it is a delicious and intense hoppy flavor that really epitomizes the IPA category to me. It goes down smooth and is very crisp. As far as drinkability goes, this is terrific, especially for an IPA. One of the few IPAs I could drink for an entire night.

4.79/5  rDev +25.4%

The beer looks like apple juice with a one finger white head that leaves some sticky lacing with each gulp.

The aromas of piney and citrusy hops makes for one great smelling beer.

The taste is what sets this beer apart from other IPAs. Hopsecutioner had what I would describe as a tangy bitterness, much like the way a tart grapefruit acts on your taste buds. But the hops are most certainly present, especially with a name like Hopsecutioner.

This beauty had a medium body and was sharp across the palate. With the sharp, hoppy, citrusy flavors this beer brings, it makes it a nearly perfect standard IPA for the spring/summer months for me.

Dare I say my personal favorite IPA?

4.77/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale 6 varieties of hops:
Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Shinook, Centennial and Warrior.
Smell: Floral, sweet citrus, grapefruit
Taste: Nectarine, Mango, grapefruit, extremely dry and bitter at the end of the sip. Alcohol is hidden.
Feel: medium body, smooth through the middle of the sip. Has a thicker feel.
Look: Dark orange, white head, lacing on the glass.
Overall: I had this beer in a can. This pic on here has it in a bottle. Maybe that is why it tasted better. They are now doing alot of cans nowadays. This has more to offer than the name suggests. It tastes fruity and sweet, but dry and bitter on the finish.
It has a nice kick on the end. The carbonation has a nice softness to it as if you are drinking a fluffy cloud of yummyness.
I can not taste any soapyness as the other reviews have mentioned. Maybe they updated the recipe. I liked this one, as I do many of the Terrapin beers.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company