Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 769 | Ratings: 3,306
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

pours a brilliant honey color, cloudy, with a sizable off white head which seems to stick around.

I get a wallop of hops in the nose, citrusy, with a hint of sweet caramel malts. smells sweet and fresh.

Taste is a perfect blend of malt and hops, neither one over powers the other. There is some spiciness to it, I think I might also be getting some flavors of a banana, maybe mango. something tropical.

mouthfeel is medium bodied, very smooth, with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good, I could easily have a few of these and be well on my way. love the ABV on this one, perfect for an IPA and Terrapin does a good job of masking it in the balance of the taste.
Great beer here.

3.39/5  rDev -11%

Nice medium brownish amber, minimal head and minimal carbonation. Cool label. Mild floral hop aroma. Starts sort of mellow then a nice combination of citrus hop bite evened out with a bit of fruitiness, finishing with a lingering bitterness. Lighter mouothfeel than I expected contributing to the drinkability. Pretty well done. Nice complexity. Well balanced. Not overpowering.

Later notes: Caramel malt sweetness became more prominent, things just sort of blend together, nothing outstanding. I ended up lowering taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability before finishing the glass.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into tumbler glasses and consumed between 45 and 55 degrees over the course of a wonderful half hour. Then, re-experienced fresh on-tap in HotLanta.

Bubbly head with good, but patchy retention. Golden cider color that shines like autumn with clarity beyond what the big hops should permit.
Lemony pine plus papaya and some warm banana bread balance out the alluring nose.
Herbal fizz with rosemary opens into tasty spice showered in bright citrus. Resin trails behind.
Bitterness and chalk hover throughout a long, undulating current of tastes, but are never out of balance. Cream spins into tart and melts into chewy spreadable cheese with a happy funk near the finish. That cheesy edge is just a bit too prominent for me, especially in the aftertaste, and with warming.
It's creamy and rather full bodied with just the necessary crispness to clean the tongue. Balance and complexity, as in every other aspect, define the feel of this beast.
Overall, bright and doughy; spicy but smooth. This killer is a special treat. For me, it's slightly better balanced after a few months in the bottle than it is on tap, but it gets muted after a year without improvements of malt maturity.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Amber Orange body, thin white head, and a perfectly distributed wave of carbonation.

S - Wonderfully appropriate piney hops, without anything else to compete with.

T - Pine hops take the lead followed by a sweet woody flavor that I can't really pin to anything in particular. Slight citrus and spice hops can be detected after it sits on my palate for a bit.

M - Medium-light body without the stickiness of most piney IPAs, very well done in my opinion.

D - Is this offered year-round? I've only seen it in the 12-pack sampler locally, but if I can find it again I'd be curious to compare it side by side, one after another against Sweetwater's IPA. This is a very close contender for my favorite craft IPA.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Look: Medium amber color, big fluffy head, good lacing

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, bread, honey

Taste: Up Front: Citrus, pine, grass, toast, wood. Finish: Spicy with a sweet finish

Mouthfeel: Creamy and sticky

Drinkability: This is a refreshing beer! Definitely a session beer for me.

Overall Impression: This is a solid IPA. I liked it better than the Rye Pale Ale. The picture on the label reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! And just like the comic, this beer kicks ass!

4.42/5  rDev +16%

C. Clear as can be
H. Dark golden yellow, Almost perfectly amber
N. VERY HOPPY, EXTREMELY Pleasant. Piney and slightly citrus-y

Ok, Hop Heads I thought that this would take my head off by its name...well not really. This was a sexy beer with its white sticky head, that decided to hang out on my glass the entire time. It smelled like a Hop BOMB but fell a little short on the attack. A smooth taste lead into a lingering bitterness. Don't get me wrong this was an awesome IPA, just the name lead me to believe that I finally found a beer to compete with Ruination. Well not so much, but it was still a great drink. I would put it on par with Hop Slam by Bells. This is a beer that is easy to drink more than one, and is definitely worth picking up this weekend from your local beer shop. I think I will grab a few more.
Score: 4.498

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

orange amber with creamy head. white foam retreats to the edges of the glass and waves of bubbles stick the sides of the glass. Super sticky head. Smell is of huge pine and hints of sweet. Initial blast to the palette of hop bitterness. first sip don't get much other than the bitter and it lingers throughout the brew. the palette goes numb and the rest of the drinking experience makes way to sweeter malt flavors. slight hints of roasted barley...smokey flavors peek up, almost like a mild tobacco flavor in the tail end. This beer, though, is no joke when it comes to bitterness. Huge hop presence lingers 100% of the time during this. More of an east coast style of IPA, getting little any fruit bitterness here, but overall very well balanced after the intial sip. Mouthfeel is medium with a huge stickiness factor. Covers the palette well and lingers for a good 10 minutes after done. Superb flavors, slight booze...great brew and sneaks up at +7%

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - copper with a orange hue. 1 finger head with little retention. Slight lacing

S - the hops are there, but not as strong as i thought it would be. Citrus and floral are in the nose... but there isnt much nose at all

T -hoppy and slightly spicy, floral with slight citrus. With a slightly malty sweet finish. Happy to see that the taste is not so faint as the nose.

M - good bit of carbination, medium thickness

O - Good flavor. Not the best ipa but overall its a Good and well rounded beer.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Extra in a recent trade. Poured into Tulip.

A: Golden see through amber with couple mm head. Lots of bubbles clinging to side of tulip.

S: I'm getting some citrus as well as pine in this one. Although it's an IPA there is a nice balancing malt in there.

T: Bitter right from the get go. I think it's balanced though. Nice hop presence is done nicely with the malt here.

M: medium bodied, not watery in any way.

D: Very enjoyable IPA. Not as big as a lot of what is out there now but I don't think they were going for that. I really enjoyed the more balanced IPA here and could easily drink a few of these despite the 7.2%

3.51/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours an orange tone with a bright white head which dissipates to thick foamy blotches with excellent lacing.

Big citrus and pine nose.  Grapefruit, lime, and pine.

The flavor profile is aggressive buttering hops; I mostly get grapefruit and pine.  Middle is malty, but bitterness wins in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with nice carbonation.  It does finish with some perceivable alcohol.

This is a nice, hoppy, bitter IPA. But, a bit one-dimensional.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

A very decent IPA. A little citrus on the nose, a little grapefruit bite on the tongue, pretty mild mannered.Not much of of head, but decent lacing. Not overly anything to be honest, but a very solid very drinkable IPA that anyone could enjoy. I'd buy it again sometimes the 2nd try yield more than the 1st try.

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had a friend visiting Atlanta this last week and like a great friend, she brought back some good craft brews for us to try.

A: Poured from a 12oz glass bottle labeled best by 7th month 1st week (it's currently March). Pours a dark amber with redish hues. This brew is very active with carbonation ever-present. Head is thin and lacing is poor but those are the biggest things that take away from an otherwise beautiful appearance.

S: The smell is reminiscent of grapefruit and cannabis sativa. A very vegetative scent is complimented with fresh hints of citrus. Great hoppy, sweet and promising smell.

T: Coming from the smell, the taste is a bit of a letdown. An instant effect of bittering hops is followed by heavy malt character. Malts get progressively heavier and more medicinal. A standard ale taste prevails but mellows near the end. The aftertaste is quite pleasant with well-rounded and complementing hop and malt flavors. Oddly enough, the aftertaste is far more pleasing than the actual taste...

MF: For an IPA this has a medium to medium-heavy mouth feel. To me, it's a little heavier than what a "good" IPA should be.

D: A slightly too high ABV to be able to classify this as a good session but a casual beer drinker could probably put a few of these back. For the IPA lover, one or two of these will be more than enough before having something truly great.

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

This APA was my first selection of a truely hopsy beer by Terrapin. Suffice it to say, it wasn't my favorite.

A: Poured a light brown color with decent head and little to no lacing, typical of APA's.

S: Hops up front with alcohol notes. Undertone of hopsy florals.

T: Not my favorite. A bitter flavor most notable from the hops. Not sweet. Slightly acidic and alcoholic and over the top hops. Definitely out-of-balance on the far hopsy side. Only saving grace is the flavor is dry and doesn't linger.

M: Full bodied and dry. Carbonation is fizzy and gassy.

D: Not one of my favorites. If you really like hopsy APA's or IPA's, this might be right up your alley. It wasn't up mine.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I very nice IPA. At 7.4% ABV I was prepared for something that took me back to a high school party at a gravel pit, grave yard, barn, abandoned house, or all of the above. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was not overpowering, yet still bold. My first experience with the beer followed a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Big mistake. Too much comparing and contrasting. I'm too much of a green horn to be doing that. The next time around, however, I started with the Terrapin and it was a totally different experience. I would gladly have another. Or two. Or twelve.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a very clear amber. Nice head with great lacing. Smells of English hops and malt, not bad Taste is a little over bitter for me, which hurts drinkability. The bitterness is balanced alright with malt character, but I just think hop flavors are not super. That is me!

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Nice pour, golden orange with lots of head.

S - Citrus and piney hops, very strong and pleasant smell.

T - Great flavor, orange and lemon notes and fresh piney hops.

M - Good fresh hops.

O - Enjoyed this beer with a friend, always the best way to do it.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

I sampled this bottle soon after trying "Jai Alai" from Cigar City and it compares favorably.

It pours up a slightly cloudy copper with a fluffy off-white head full of hop and pine notes. Nice and creamy mouthfeel with lots of lacing remaining on the glass throughout.

It bursts with hops and citrus flavours but finishes dry and bitter. ABV barely noticeable.

A perfect summer pour.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden copper color with a thin head. Smell is sweet and juicy with a hit of hops/pine notes. Taste is much the same. Appears to be a little malt forward with a late/middle hit of hop bitterness. Light to medium body. Really digging it.

appearance: nice golden light copper color

aroma: piney hops with a hint of the malt backbone

taste: starts sweet and malty and then the hops take over and the piney hop flavor coats your palate

mouthfeel: good carbonation nice medium body

This is a nice american ipa and I would seek it out again since they do not distribute in my area
cheers

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

It's 11:59 pm. Death Row. The Governor hasn't called. Prepare to be hopsecuted...

Oh, we've heard about the Hopsecutioner. He's that 7.2% American IPA from those mad scientists, er, brewers, down in Athens. What do you expect from a city that gave us R.E.M. and The B-52's?

The door opens with a loud creak, and he strides in. Beneath his mask, we see the fluffy (yet menacing) head of foam that doesn't want to go away. The body is a deep brassy bronze, muscular, a little darker than usual for the style. Being a hopsecutioner can do that to a beer...

He closes in. That's not the smell of fear, but it is the smell of piny hops, with a little bit of citrus and floral ones thrown in for kicks. It's not quite the frontal assault one might expect, but is actually somewhat nuanced. Perhaps the hopsecutioner isn't quite what he seems...

Time for the kill shot. It's a tasty demise. A well-balanced combination of bitter pine, tangy citrus and sweet malt. Some hints of bubblegum and black pepper, maybe a touch of lemon. The hopsecutioner knows his job, and he does it well...

Drifting into the abyss, we hope that beervana exists, and that we're headed there for eternity. We also notice the crisp carbonation, the medium body, and the present but not overwhelming hop acidity. So this is what being hopsecuted feels like...

His work completed, the hopsecutioner exits, making his way toward his next victim. If death by beer is my fate, there are some other IPA's I may prefer to slay me. But the hopsecutioner can stand proudly as someone I'll invite over again. He may not be all smiles, but he's good company, in his own way...

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Wierd label art with a sort of "teenage mutant ninja turtle" chopping hops in a guillotine. Bright copper with a small head that diminished quick and clung quite well. Nice mostley pine smell some citrus in the background. Taste is big hop (citrus and pine, but this time citrus dominating) and some mild sweetness. Malt does actually come through a bit. Had to check the ABV on this one when I felt some warmth. Alcohol taste is far from boozey and really adds to this one. Linger sticks around for a while. Carb is super sharp and mouth wateringly refreshing. Mouthfeel is medium making it pretty drinkable. I will seek this out again.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, well within the suggested serving date.

A: Orange with a golden tone and red hue. Not much of a head, if there was it settled rather quickly, but the lacing on the glass was there.

S: Honestly I cant say much for the smell. For being an American IPA I expected more aroma. Maybe it was my dinner that night. The aroma I got mostly was pine, and raisins.

T: The hop presence was there but I thought this rather one dimensional. I like a bitter front with a strong balancing malt backbone finish. The hopsecutioner just didnt have that for me.

M: I'd say not quite medium bodied but rather moderate, I did like the creaminess associated with this IPA.

O: Maybe I thought the label was misleading a bit.. Hopesecutioner to me means hops galore, I kept taking sips to find what I was looking for and I never found it. My highest rating on this was appearance, I'd much rather have a higher rating on taste and smell. With that said its not a bad beer just not what I thought it was going to be.

Had on draft at Taps Grill 7/21/10. Reviewed from notes.

A: Came from the bar, a deep orange color, with hardly any head. Lacing as the beer went down was decent.

S: Beer smells great. Seems like you are in for a big hop taste.

T: Decent...that's about it. Seems like with the name, I'd stand out as a supper hoppy bear, but it doesn't. There's a bit more malt there...but a good blend. I just don't think the beer does the name justice - I would like to see a 95+ IBU.

D: I had this beer from the bottle once and wasn't real impressed. From the tap, it's better. Very drinkable for the a 7+% IPA. I will be having this again on draft.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at Taco Mac in Atlanta at the Prado

A - clear, copper color with nice lacing.

S - nothing stands out. Mild citrus and biscuit

T - bitter on back of the tongue. Hops are present but don't dominate.

MF - very good. Crisp. Good carbonation. Medium body. Possibly the best attribute of this beer

Overall: I am a west coast IPA snob so keep that in mind. This was crafted very well but the hop profile was weak. Could have used some late boil or dry hops to give it a nose and an identity. Quality beer just not enough hops for what it claims to be.

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company