Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Ratings: 3,399 |  Reviews: 790

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a flute type glass.

The appearance of this beer looks good and is a pretty standard color for an A-IPA. I poured this beer rather hard and vigorous to generate a nice and rich white head that lingered for quite a while and let nice lacing while receding. The color of the brew is a nice dark orange/light amber color. The aroma is way sweeter and maltier than most A-IPA's I have had or reviewed. It smells very sweet and somewhat like honey, not really what I was expecting, but it doesn't smell bad. The hops are hard to pick up in the aroma. The flavor delivers a very balanced brew, but the aftertaste is a little metallic and iron-like. The initial flavor is very light and rather sweet. There is just enough hops in this beer to balance it, but I don't find much of a bitter, citrus, or floral/herbal flavor in this brew. The hops seem to only balance the malt and not really pop as a flavor of their own as they should in an A-IPA. The MF is rather standard and a medium bodied brew that is easy to drink.

This is a good beer, but not what I would expect for an A-IPA. I think that it needs some more hop presence in its flavor profile. Otherwise appearance and MF are spot on.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Been trying as many IPAs as possible this summer and the name attracted me to this one. Plus Terrapain - oops make that Terrapin, that was a non-Freudian typo - has a pretty good rep.

Agree with previous reviews which noted that the hop hype on the bottle label is way overblown, thus disappointing hopheads.

In that vein it disappointed me too. But the great caramel malt flavor was too good not to enjoy Hopsecutioner for what it is rather than what it represents itself to be.

I admit to occasional wavering on reviews insofar as sometimes I rate them according to how I like them rather than how well they represent their intended style. That was the case here. As a hop bomb it falls way short, but as a tasty brew it is truly exceptional.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

I love IPAs and this was a good one.

Nice golden color, and white head. Not a whole lot of lace on the glass. Smell was very clean, dry, citrusy, hoppy, fresh and herbal.

The taste followed suit perfectly. Very refreshing hops bitterness with the dry finish. Sweet upfront with some citrusy esters and full taste. Clean and crisp mouthfeel.

This is not groundbreaking in the realm of IPAs, but what it is is drinkable. I only had one, but wanted more. Surprisingly drinkable when you think about the 7.3 abv as well.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours an apricot color. The head is a fluffy one finger off-white shade. All in all, the looks are typical for the style: frothy head, okay retention, and plenty of lacing left behind.

S: Aromatically, hops do jump out from the glass - mainly the floral, lemony variety. Sourdough bread seems to make an appearance, too. I've grown to point where I can smell Centennial hops from a mile away, and this brew's got 'em.

T: Flavor-wise, it's sweeter than what the aroma let on. I was waiting for the bitterness to prick the tongue...and instead I got a sweet, caramel forward brew where the hops are only there to balance instead of being showcased. Late in the aftertaste, some floral and spicy hop notes do appear. Aside from the typical caramel and toffee notes, it's also a bit earthy.

M: It's a rather clean brew, which at least helps quash some of the sweetness well. It glides down the tongue with a crisp bite, too I'd almost call it thirst quenching...no, I will call it thirst quenching. Not dry by any stretch, but it does a good job of going down easily anyways. The sweet finish doesn't bother me at all.

O: I'll give it one thing - it's drinkable. Very drinkable, even for a 7.3% IPA. It just doesn't have the most interesting flavor is all. If I had bought a 6 pack of this (which I didn't) I wouldn't have any trouble killing it.

2.72/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%