Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Ratings: 3,411 |  Reviews: 792
2.11/5  rDev -44.8%

Best by: 12.19.14. Drank 11.13.14. 12oz bottle poured into a Mason Jar pint.

A: Pours a hazy bright orange with two fingers of bright, billowing head. Lots of big pitting, small patches of lacing, dissipates to a few small islands and a high collar. A fair amount of suspended particulates. Light visible carbonation.

S: Earthy, metallic, traces of what could resemble hops... but nowhere near enough to get past the grunge/yeastiness/biscuity aroma. Awful for an IPA, and to be frank, awful for any beer style.

T: Weak. Little to no clarity. Pepper and Earth. Bready malt, toasted biscuit... once again, awful.

M: Watery and bitter. Not much carbonation, dull to taste. Lingering earthy bitterness reminds me of how awful this smells and tastes well after I last went though those painful endeavors.

O: An incredible disappointment from a beer which I didn't even have high hopes for, just that it would be a decent regional IPA to drink in the Southeast. But this is not even close, not by a long shot. I'm giving a 2 all around for effort.

Maybe I had an infected bottle, but unless someone one day hands me this beer, I will not be having it again.

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

This APA was my first selection of a truely hopsy beer by Terrapin. Suffice it to say, it wasn't my favorite.

A: Poured a light brown color with decent head and little to no lacing, typical of APA's.

S: Hops up front with alcohol notes. Undertone of hopsy florals.

T: Not my favorite. A bitter flavor most notable from the hops. Not sweet. Slightly acidic and alcoholic and over the top hops. Definitely out-of-balance on the far hopsy side. Only saving grace is the flavor is dry and doesn't linger.

M: Full bodied and dry. Carbonation is fizzy and gassy.

D: Not one of my favorites. If you really like hopsy APA's or IPA's, this might be right up your alley. It wasn't up mine.

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

very bitter, taste lingers. needed water between sips to get through it

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

2.38/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This used to be one of my favorites, but since the terrapin buyout I have noticed a swift decline in quality. What used to be a complex hop profile with a powerful malty backbone has evolved into a boozy astringent mess. Tastes like they just dump in sugar to boost the abv. Save your money and make a batch of toilet wine for the same experience .

2.47/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Very sweet, little carbonation. Briwn sugar taste. Pine. Did not like. Maybe old? Can said it was about 2 1/2 months shouldve been better at that age than this.

2.48/5  rDev -35.1%

2.48/5  rDev -35.1%

I'm just not sophisticated enough to understand these hopping IPAs. As I said before I know nothing about beer but I do know I don't like the

2.49/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

umm. Wow. Not quite sure how to describe this one. It's like a watered down versuon of the Dogfish 60. Not even the 90, but the 60 . It's a fairly smooth for a 7.3% IPA, but not the best! If you're thinking of drinking this beer, go with a Dogfish 60 instead. If you're looking for a real high gravity IPA, with lots of flavor...go with the Dogfish 90.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

I'm from Eugene Oregon. Not so much snobbish as particular. May be the same thing. Terrapins seems to be a fine brewer, but from my experience, to call something "Hopsecutioner" would mean something quite hoppy. Hoppy this is not. I've had black hole inducing puckers and fifty variations more hoppy than this (Hop Valley Alpha Centuri Binary, Stone Crime, Russian River Pliny The Elder, Bonyard Hop Venom etc. etc.). I give it a low rating for the poor naming. It matters ;)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company