Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 760 | Ratings: 3,243
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

So close yet so far!

This IPA has the potential to be another Alpha King, but unfortunately misses the mark in a big way.

A- Beautiful dank hazy, orange. 1 finger tight dense, head- good retention.

S- Slight floral hops with grapefruit, very faint tropical aromas.

T- Not getting much. Sam Adams meets Sierra Nevada?

O- Once again, I really hope this was an off bottle, though it says I have 3 more months to enjoy. Nothing enjoyable or memorable about this one. 3 sips and down the drain.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Notes from 7/2012

Best by second week of December (assuming 2012?)

A - Pours clear amber with one finger of off-white head. Head has decent retention and leaves good lacing.

S - Aroma is pretty subtle, but there is some citrus, mostly orange.

T - Surprisingly malty for what seems to be a fresh bottle. Hops are quite subtle, though there is a good hop bite initially, it fades quickly, yielding to a tea-like flavor. Not really digging this, but it is ok.

M - Medium mouthfeel and slightly bitter. Not very memorable.

O - It certainly doesn't seem like a year-old bottle, so I have to assume this is a relatively fresh bottle that just doesn't live up to it's name.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A - No head. Copper but less amber than Great Divide Rumble. Regular IPA colour, dark golden.

S - Pine and citrus notes, smells like a prototypical ipa. Not as Nutty as the Rumble.

T - Smooth but less kick and not as bitter as regular IPA. Taste like a red ale (Ricard's Red). Taste like Dales Pale Ale.

B - Medium Body. Smooth.

O - Smooth IPA but not as much as a regular hoppy IPA. Would be refreshing on a hot day.

3.0

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%

When I found out that Terrapin was adding an IPA to it's portfolio, I was very excited. As a resident of Atlanta, I always look forward to supporting local breweries. However, I feel that Terrapin missed the mark with this one.

High Points:

Smell - The smell out of the bottle is quite hoppy which raises your expectations on the taste of the beer. There is lots of citrus in the nose from the five hops. Nice!

Appearance - The beer is crystal clear with a nice foamy head. Not a problem here.

Not so High Points:

Taste - The taste of this beer just doesn't measure up to the nice hop aroma and my expectations. The malt sweetness is a bit lacking and the hop flavor isn't quite enough for me either.

It seems to me that this beer cannot decide what it wants to be. It isn't a hop bomb like a Stone beer and it doesn't have a strong enough hop/sweet malt mix to be a well balanced IPA (think Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA or Sweetwater IPA). I think that Terrapin should have kicked up the hops and the malt in this one. I will probably buy it again but I can think of 20 other IPA's that are superior.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium dark amber; no head or lacing to speak of

S - Not too much smell for me...a little orange and some malt

T - Wheat bread, green grapes, and a decent amount of heat for a 7% brew. Very grainy & malty, but not sweet. The hops balance the malts to a certain extent, but, sorry to say, they don't come within miles of living up to the name of the beer. This needs to be far more bitter if you're going to call it that. Seriously.

M - Medium thickness and slightly chewy for an IPA. If I were fonder of what I was chewing, this could be a good thing.

D - It wouldn't be difficult to drink two or three due to any specific taste component -- the taste in general keeps me from wanting another.

Not that this was particular hyped up for me, but I'm disappointed. Terrapin makes some good beer, but this isn't my favorite.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

On tap at Stoney's on L in DC. Maybe it was an old line, but I didn't care for this one. Look was a nice deep Amber, but no hops in the nose, and just a general bitter hops. No juicy, no citrus, no brightness. Malts were muddled, an the finish was odd. Just not for me

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, well within the suggested serving date.

A: Orange with a golden tone and red hue. Not much of a head, if there was it settled rather quickly, but the lacing on the glass was there.

S: Honestly I cant say much for the smell. For being an American IPA I expected more aroma. Maybe it was my dinner that night. The aroma I got mostly was pine, and raisins.

T: The hop presence was there but I thought this rather one dimensional. I like a bitter front with a strong balancing malt backbone finish. The hopsecutioner just didnt have that for me.

M: I'd say not quite medium bodied but rather moderate, I did like the creaminess associated with this IPA.

O: Maybe I thought the label was misleading a bit.. Hopesecutioner to me means hops galore, I kept taking sips to find what I was looking for and I never found it. My highest rating on this was appearance, I'd much rather have a higher rating on taste and smell. With that said its not a bad beer just not what I thought it was going to be.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Found at World of Beers in Altamonte Springs, FL this IPA has a yellow amber color, clear and fairly quiet, with a very solid white head that sticks and leaves a hearty skin behind. The aroma has very light citrus, lemon wheat, not much else. Okay. The flavor follows with a bit stronger citrus hop and a bright malt biscuit backbone. I taste what seems like alcohol, which at 7.2 percent, it probably is. This edge seems to mask the hop qualities in my opinion and steels the IPA value I was looking for. Really makes it ordinary to me. This is medium-light bodied with a busy, small bubble carbonation that delivers a crisp feel. It ultimately turns entirely harsh and grassy to me and is more regrettable than memorable, but it’s not awful. Disappointing though. I don't think I had any problems with it in a bottle, but this one on tap has some issues.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance-Orange to light copper with a little cloudiness

Smell-faint apple citrus…some say resinous, but I didn't pick that up at first, once the beer stabilized at 45-50 degrees I got a little of the resin, but nothing overwhelming

taste-mellow to moderate hoppiness, I was having Indian food and thought this would pair well, which I think it did.

Mouthfeel- smooth, but quickly jumps then finishes with a mellow bitterness. Not overwhelming, but definitely IPA. Leaves a little sharpness as a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall- I think it is a good local IPA, but there are undoubtedly others that drive harder to the finish. You can have a couple of these alone or with food. I think it is a bit over marketed in the ATL area, but that also means you will probably be able to grab one on tap.

I try to be average on most IPAs because they are not my go to beer. I also don't have a really discriminating hop palate, so I try to stay even on most of these.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Darker golden yellow/orange with a small white head

S- Piney and citrus hops, no suprise

T- Clean, not a lot of hop bite ... mild

M- Light body on the higher end of carbonation

D- Decent IPA with nothing offensive so it's quite easy to drink and revisit

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

Bottle to pint glass. Best if enjoyed by the 2nd week of the 7th month as indicated by the notches on the label. Lucky for me, I can filter through that added complexity. Here's hoping it was brewed this year...

A: The head is large, 3 fingers high, rocky/frothy, off-white and long lasting. The body is clear with a medium rich color of amber mixed with honey brown. Lacing is just a notch above good.

S & T: The aromas and flavors work in tandem, with face-value presentation. By that I mean, what you get on the nose, you get on the palate and vice versa. The hops are heavy and boast a gamut of typical hop flavors and aromas: Pine, grapefruit, orange and resin. Light malts of hay, toasted, and a side of earthy yeast. Long lasting flavor duration. There is a light clean alcohol flavor lounging around.

M: Medium light body with an average prickly carbonation. Finishes bitter.

D: Well, I enjoyed the brew. I certainly wasn't going to spit it out. But as with other Terrapin beers I've had, I'm not entirely impressed with this one either. The Hopsecutioner needs to do something to separate itself from the plethora of mundane American IPAs out there. Somehow Terrapin needs to do "average" a bit better.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a 6oz tasting glass.

A: Pours a hazy amber-orange color. Head is off-white and retentive, yet thin.

S: I honestly didn't get much aroma off of this beer. The nose is muted and faint. Very slight hints of sweet caramel malt and grapefruit/citrus resins.

T: Slight citrus hint, faint pine notes, mild malt body, quite sweet on the finish. The alcohol is very well hidden, this beer drinks very well for 7.3%

M: mild bodied, leaves a lingering pine/citrus note on the finish.

O: I honestly didn't care for this beer. I found it a very "average" IPA at best. I had always wanted to try this beer and had a friend stop in Georgia to grab it for me. The only saving grace is that it is VERY drinkable for it's ABV.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours an orange amber with a nice white head that leaves some good lacing.

Smell is herbally, with some citrus, nothing too exciting for an IPA.

Taste is bitter and metallic, with some citrusy hops but no depth, mouthfeel is watery, it just doesn't seem that that refined of a brew.

Overall this tastes like something you would get at one of those generic chain brew pubs, they need to work on it.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: The label is great -- a hooded terrapin with a chopping axe and an amusing blurb. Hazy copper-brown with light bubbles. It pours viscously, like oil. No head; sparse lacing.

S: An understated, mild scent of hop oil.

T: Frankly disappointing. Lots and lots of hops don't have much punch. Furthermore, the taste is muddled with a strong citrus flavour. The hoppy oiliness is welcome, but the tartness not so much. The aftertaste is smooth and surprisingly good, with a pleasant (not overstated) hoppiness.

M: Carbonation complements the flavour of the beer. Oiliness sweeps the tongue without clinging to it.

D: Watery-smooth and good enough. As hoppy beers go, you can do better. As beers go, you can do much worse.]

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a sam adams glass and a light, bubbly, off white head developed with little lacing and mild retention. Appearance was a hazy with a light amber to orange color. Had a nice citrus and flower aroma with nice hoppy notes. Had a very mild taste with cutrus and flower notes and a bitter hop finish, some slight caramel notes. Watery mouthfeel and a dry aftertaste.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a very hazy deep orange with a two fingered cream head that slides down the glass slowly leaving behind some mild lacing.

Aroma has hop oil presence, and some extra sweet malt. Really heavy presence of apple juice.

Tastes like a slightly bitter caramel apple. Spicy. Not really a lot of complexity here and this ranks low on my list of IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty light but the beer isn't that easy to drink. Really sweet malt without a lot of balance from the hops presence. Overall, I think a pretty weak IPA and one that I would not pursue again.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a dark peach/golden amber color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a thin half finger off white head that quickly fades leaving minimal lacing.

Crisp hop aroma with hints if pine and subtle citrus and tropical fruit balanced by a strong caramel and biscuit malt presence.

Slightly chewy medium body that is pretty hop forward with a decent amour of piny dry bitterness. The citrus and tropical notes from the aroma are very faint wint hints of pineapple, orange peel and mango. The hoppiness is cut mid palate by a very prominent malt backbone with lots of caramel and biscuit flavor. The malt character is a bit too strong for my liking but it's still decent and pretty quaffable.

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear medium copper with a one finger off-white head. Lacing is just so-so but head retention is very nice with really a solid cap all the way through.

Aroma is full of earthy hops with pine and tree bark. Deep toffee and caramel notes along with a bit of spiciness. Perhaps just a touch of orange.

The flavor really screams English IPA to me in that there is much more malt character and none of the tropical fruit normally associated with American IPA's. Earthy hops complimented by a healthy dose of caramel and toffee from the malt. Bitterness is very high throughout with a mouthfeel that is slightly watery leaving a very light lingering sweetness.

Overall, there really aren't any flaws with this beer but it just doesn't do it for me. I prefer fruitier IPA's in general but this one just seems to be lacking a bit. Decent but not outstanding.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Appearance & Aroma: It’s golden-amber in color with a half-inch thick, creamy head. There was a biscuity malty aroma with some hints of honey and grassy hoppiness.

Taste & Feel: It had a light medium body, and the mouthfeel was somewhat crisp. I’m not sure if the crispness was due to carbonation or the hops. There a decent honey and biscuity malt flavor in the middle, followed by a slightly citrusy and grassy hop flavor. However, the hop flavor isn’t too big.

Food Pairing: The honey and biscuity malt flavors made me crave something baked, like a pot pie, or an open faced turkey sandwich. The hop flavor would also make a good flavor addition to an otherwise, somewhat bland, bread or turkey meal.

Overall Impression: With a name like this one, I was expecting an over-the-top hop flavor. What I got was a fairly balanced IPA, that was pretty drinkable. Overall, it was crisp and went down easily – good for a hot day like we had today. If I hadn’t been expecting a big hop flavor, I probably would have enjoyed this more for what it is – a pretty good, balanced, IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks to Kels for the beer :)

12oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a light amber... almost peachy. Decent sized head on the pour with only a little retention but decent lacing.

S: Smells more like English style hops... grassy, floral. Malts come in to balance things a bit too much.

T/M: Bitterness is on the lower side for an IPA, almost APA. Hops, again, are more floral and grassy than citrusy and piney. Malts, again, come in too strong and wipe pretty much all of the bitterness. Lightly cereal with a bit of light caramel. Body is medium with good carbonation.

D: Easy to drink but boring for an IPA and over 7% hurts drinkability.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance 3.5: Pours out a deep golden and is opaque. OK head (1/2") and OK lacing.

Smell 3.5: Nice nose on this brew. Deep, delicious mix of barley and hops with a piquant front bouquet of very alkaline hops.

Taste 3.00: Front is smooth, with a big hit of light sweetness. Middle is where the barley and hops hit you and it is a pleasing balance. Finish is where the wheels start to come off, as there is far too much sweetness present here and then the big problem raises its ugly head in the aftertaste: metal. Yes, the tail-end of the finish and the majority of the aftertaste has a very unpleasant metallic tang. Is this how lead tastes? Dear lord, I hope not.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Standard level of carbonation which is a good accompaniment for this style.

Overall 3.25: Good IPA, but it falls short of being anything special. There are several levels on which it is exceptional, but the problem present in the taste (i.e. the metallic taste) takes away from its overall enjoyment. There are so many IPAs out there, that this one really falls short and is just slightly above average.

3.24/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. bottle, best by fourth week of December

Pours a light brown color with a half inch head that fades fast and leaves some lacing.

Aromas consist of citrus, pine, brown sugar, tropical fruit, and malt.

The tasting experience is not as exciting as the aroma would lead you to believe. Flat malt flavors that give way to a standard level of bitterness in the middle/finish. Watery feel and very little carbonation add to the lackluster drinking experience.

In a craft market that is choked with IPAs, I don't see myself reaching for this one ever again. There's better ones out there. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The smell is sweet bready spicy and earthy. The taste is nice and smooth and well balanced. The finish starts out slightly sweet and then the bitterness takes over. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and slippery. nb

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz bottle into SN hop pint glass. Big thanks to the generous BA who threw this extra in!

A: Pours a dark orange with a short lived off-white head that receded into a thin film that left some streaks of lacing down the glass.
S: Light resiny hop notes with a just a hint of alcohol vapor.
T: Notes of pine and apricot with other citrus flavors including lemon. Malt is right their adding a nutty and roasted flavor. No caramel. Aftertaste lightly bitter but short lived.
M: A bit on the thin and oily side. Carbonation is a bit low as well, but the overall the mouthfeel isn't horrible.
D: If I had drank this a year or so ago I would have given it a higher score. I'm not IPA expert, but I know what I like. I like this one, but I've had so many better ones during my beer drinking adventure that this one is simple above average. The mouthfeel bothered me the most, but I did really like the flavor. Thanks again to a generous BA for hooking me up with this.

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a flute type glass.

The appearance of this beer looks good and is a pretty standard color for an A-IPA. I poured this beer rather hard and vigorous to generate a nice and rich white head that lingered for quite a while and let nice lacing while receding. The color of the brew is a nice dark orange/light amber color. The aroma is way sweeter and maltier than most A-IPA's I have had or reviewed. It smells very sweet and somewhat like honey, not really what I was expecting, but it doesn't smell bad. The hops are hard to pick up in the aroma. The flavor delivers a very balanced brew, but the aftertaste is a little metallic and iron-like. The initial flavor is very light and rather sweet. There is just enough hops in this beer to balance it, but I don't find much of a bitter, citrus, or floral/herbal flavor in this brew. The hops seem to only balance the malt and not really pop as a flavor of their own as they should in an A-IPA. The MF is rather standard and a medium bodied brew that is easy to drink.

This is a good beer, but not what I would expect for an A-IPA. I think that it needs some more hop presence in its flavor profile. Otherwise appearance and MF are spot on.

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company