Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Ratings: 3,376 |  Reviews: 787
2.72/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

2.77/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle served in tulip pint.

A: Pours a rather clear orange-ish copper. A relatively small, but fluffy, ivory head comes from a semi-vigorous pour. Head displays decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: Sweetish almost bready smell...cornbread maybe? Nearly a complete lack of hop character in the scent. wtf?

T: Piney up front followed by just a bit of mango. Malty carmel sweetness. Peppery spice from the hops. Finishes a bit too sweet for an IPA...reminds me a little of orange kool-aid.

M: Soft and coating, but a little thin. Too watery.

D: Not a very interesting beer, but it is fairly easy to drink. Also, it drinks at a little lower than 7.2% abv.

I remember enjoying this beer more when I've had it on tap in the past, but I found this go 'round to be completely underwhelming. Maybe the bottled version is inferior, or maybe it's just not as good as I recall. Either way, its not a bad beer, but there are so many good IPA's out there that this one doesn't do anything to separate itself from the pack.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. I will say, this is some pretty cool artwork on the label.

A: Pours a deep copper, almost apple juice color. The pour drops a finger of off white head that fades pretty quickly and dosen't leave much lace.

A: Hoppy, citrus and pine. Maybe some sugar cane or honey. A hefty amount of caramel malt balances the nose.

T: Falls a little short for me here. The malt overtakes the hops in the brew. An IPA should be about the hops, but not in this case. Finishes sugary and dry.

M: Medium to heavy body. Small carbonation makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here, I just couldn't get past the overuse of caramel malt. Overall, not very impressed with this one. I wish they would have dialed back the malt and let the hops take center stage, but oh well. Not one I'll be trying again anytime soon. Skal.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a leffe chalice.

Pours a dark amber color with little head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

I get mostly a piney aroma on the nose, along with something I can't quite make out. Maybe a little earthy?

Taste is pleasant. Some piney hop flavors and some hop bitterness, but really not that much. Mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Overall a decent IPA, but disappointing for a beer with the name Hopsecutioner. Would drink it again if offered, but not something I'm going to seek out.

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

This was my first offering from Terrapin. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This is a great looking beer! It has a hazy burnt orange w/ a nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. I'm picking up orange, tangerines, and a good amount of pine. The aromas are slightly faint. Although the flavors are nice, they're very subtle, which really hurts. The taste doesn't linger on the tongue, it more-less dissapears. Somewhat bland for the style, not bold at all. Now the mouthfeel on this beer is great! It's very smooth and creamy w/ just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but loses a point for being so straight forward, but the alcohol is masked, which is a plus.

Well, I suppose I expected a little more. Now granted this wasn't the freshest batch, I still don't think I'd be super impressed if it was fresh. I'm still looking forward to trying more from Terrapin. It's just that in the world of IPAs, there are too many better offerings.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

From 12oz bottle labeled enjoy by 4/15 into belled pint glass.
L- darker amber with reasonable head
S- Malty for all the hop hype on the label
T-balance tips towards malty
F-slightly low on carbonation, but not far off

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Mediocre at best.. Malty, not too hoppy.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, light orangey/copper amber color with about a half inch of head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is mainly grassy and some piney hops. There isn't much hop bitterness.

The flavor of this beer was mediocre at best. The malt backbone was the dominant flavor in this beer, though there were some notes of pine and grassy hops. The bartender agreed with me that this was a bit toned down and not nearly worthy of the name.

Even so, it was pretty decently textured and carbonated. Aside from the disappointing flavor, this beer was pretty standard for an IPA. The texture was spot on, but I couldn't see myself drinking this again.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The best by date is December, and it's July...not sure how Terrapin does their freshness on hoppy beers but I hope it isn't more than six months out and so I'm assuming this one is pretty fresh.

Very pure golden amber color, nice and clear but pretty typical for an IPA. The head is thin and fades pretty quickly.

The nose is pretty sweet, not a lot of hops but some enticing candy aromas and some floral and weak citrus notes. Taken by itself, the smell is very nice. Considering that the beer is an IPA, it's not very promising in terms of what kind of hop profile you might expect.

Okay, it's hoppier than the nose led me to expect, but not by much. Not a lot of complexity in the hop profile, just some light bitterness with a bit of sugar thrown in somewhere. Maybe a little flower, maybe a little orange citrus, but really you have to search hard to find anything interesting.

Not really sure about the mouthfeel, there's noticeable fizz in the mouth but not a lot of body and no head retention. Not terrible but not very impressive either.

Overall, the beer is plenty drinkable but hardly oustanding. Not very hoppy, not very citrusy, but fortunately not very malty either. I'm going to finish the glass but I'm not going to buy it again anytime soon. Decent but boring.

5.8/10