Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 756 | Ratings: 3,237
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A 12 oz bottle from the Brass Rail.

A: The IPA is a golden amber color, yielding to full yellow-brown autumnal tones. Despite the darker colors, the ale retains is transparency. A finger of head is slow to recede, leaving patches of lace behind.

S: I really like the nose. The hops are floral, bitingly sweet with citrus aromas. Also surprising is the vigor with which the caramel malts make themselves known amidst the hops.

T: The taste turns out to be far more malt-driven, releasing bready caramel almost immediately. There are hops, don't get me wrong, they just don't leap out like the nose suggests. They are bold and citrusy, just not as bold as you'd like. I don't want to rag on the beer though, as it does have a very jarring floral flavor that I like. The floral citrus flavors leave a nice thud on the palate after each sip.

M: The mouthfeel is a solid IPA, sharp and biting with a strong malt side. I like this much more than Hop Shortage.

D: It doesn't feel like a 7%+ ale, a good IPA that squeezes a lot of hops into the bottle.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the bottle into my DFH Snifter. Noticed my original review was deleted, so I took that as an opportunity to buy some and review it again.

A--Poured a fluorescent, dull orange with a small eggshell white. Foamy head that dissipated quickly. Not a lot of retention though.

S--Heavily of grapefruit. There is some funky pine and grass smell. Pine cones are present. There's a nice malt background also.

T--Hops are at the forefront. Then comes the nice, funky pine cone and grass aftertaste. Not a lot of alcohol present.

M--Medium bodied. A little carbonation. Like I said, this is a smooth beer. Not nearly as heavy in alcohol as you might expect for being a 7.3%.

O--This is a good, not great, IPA. Terrapin is (if you haven't picked up on it) one of my favorite breweries. It reminds me of college days in Athens, GA. But I wish this had just a bit more to it. It's not a very complex IPA. I'd like a bit more hop-forward IPA whereas this seems to be a bit more fruit-forward. It's good, but not my favorite.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Nice looking orange-ish IPA. Soapy looking head leaves lacing down my Sierra Nevada becker glass. Hopsecutioner is a filtered IPA.

Good citrus aroma balanced with a bread-y malt bill. The flavor is much better, or should I say a stronger version of the aroma. I like the choice of hops which leave a moderate bitter finish. West Coast IPA lovers may be a little disappointed, but Hopsecutioner is right down my alley. I think this is my favorite of the Terrapin everyday beers. Living in Atlanta I always seem to get a fresh product even though I can't verify it by the label. They have the nomenclature on the label to mark it, but I have never seen them notched properly.

The mouth feel is medium and nicely carbonated. Terrapin products are available all over Atlanta. I bought this 6-pack at the grocery on a small shopping errand. Hopsecutioner and Sweetwater's IPA are excellent local products that are always fresh and available. They serve as outstanding choices for an everyday IPA. The Sweetwater IPA is unfiltered so it gives me a choice on what I prefer on any given day.

You can't go wrong with this one. Definitely worth a try...

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Single, twelve-ounce copped from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield. Surprised to see this one there. A super-hopped IPA; classic aromatic aroma and taste bursting with orange peel, clementines, and tangerine nuances. Hopped-up to the max, with a noticeable floral presence as well. This is my rendition of a solid American IPA; high ABV yet alcohol well-masked. I liked this beer; rich, flavorful and satisfying. Great stuff. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Another one from JohnQVegas... Anyone reading my reviews must think this guy is my neighbor with all the beer he gives me...
Reviewed from dictated notes during my "Clean out my cellar weekend."

Pours a deep copper with a 2 finger white head. Great looking beer. Nice lacing leaves rings with comets' tails leading down to the body of the brew. I'm holding this up to a light, and already I can smell the hops-- pine and grapefruit citrus jump out of the glass at me. The beer might be a little darker than I normally prefer, but still loos great.

The taste is slightly sweet at first, then it goes hoppy. Mostly pine with some earthy floral citrus. Nice bitterness present here. The hops smell very fresh-- clean and bright.

Mouthfeel is solid. Good oily coating after this medium body passes through. I could see drinking a few of these in an evening.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Glowy amber orange with a foamy white head.

S: Grapefruit peel, fresh orange and tangerine in a delicious nose.

T: Grapefruit and orange, some pine. Not the tangerine for which I was hoping.

M: Medium bodied with average IPA carbonation.

O: Delicious. Underrated. Worth a try and recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to GallowsTheif for the generous extra!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Delirium snifter

This one pours a translucent golden color and settles a pretty deep amber with 2 fingers worth of off-white head. Lots of sticky lacing hugs the wall of the glass.

The nose is very clean smelling. Hoppy with light citrus accents and a pine resin overtone. Beneath the hops lies a bit of caramel malt.

The taste is pretty nice. A bitterness begins to work it's way into my palate. The bitterness subsides for a moment and brings the fruit and pine flavors out before returning to a bitter finish. The caramel malts underlie the hop attack in moderation.

The mouthfeel is strongly bitter with a crisp dry finish. The carbonation is amble and rightfully so. This feels bitter.

Overall, a pretty damn good IPA. A lot of bitterness while still incorporating a lot of good fruity and sweet tastes.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured vigorously into a 20-oz. snifter. Looks great- clear penny copper with a sticky printer paper-white head that lines the top evenly and nicely, less than 1/2". Nice effervescence all around the glass- constant and quick bubbles.

Smells orangey, lemony, sweet. Reminds me of the scent of Terrapin Monk's Revenge- I wonder if the hop blend is similar? More tropical and citrus than pine or earthy.

Taste is very similar to the smell, but with a great frothy mouthfeel to spread that citrusy, orangey hop all around. A very pleasant IPA, impeccably balanced. The flavors seem sweet, but the finish is nice and dry. It's not especially rich or sweet to drink, and the dryness lets the hops leave a nice bitter lining on your tongue.

I'm happy I grabbed a few Terrapins in Florida-- tough to find in MI, and impressive all around so far- loved the pale, Monk's, and this, and VERY excited to crack my Wake N' Bake!

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

This poured a clear copper color with moderate off-white head. It smelled like pineapple and pine with some honey and orange. It tasted like pine and orange with some honey and pineapple hops. It was fairly thick with a little carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a fairly basic IPA taste, but it was very enjoyable and clean. It had great body too, and it hid the alcohol well, so it was easy to drink. Also, the one I tried was bottled 8 months ago, so it's probably better fresh. Right between an IPA and 2IPA, this could make for a good strong session beer, and is definitely worth trying at least once.

Had it on tap at mehan's in SandySprings, GA

A- Exceptional IPA. Orange, cloudy

S- Fresh hops, some orange and also slight pine.

T- Very Strong Hops, citrus and pine come in. Bitter finish

M- Very drinkable.

When I want a strong Hop IPA this is what I go to...

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

terrapin hopsecutioner. "execute the proper hop profile..." "You May Lose Your Hop Head over This one!" oy, we've gone over the limit on hop puns, time to give it up!

Beautiful hazy golden appearance, marmalade-y, under a slim but steady white head.

Aroma: orange, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit and mango, mixed up with a mess of pine. Touch of honey, plenty of hop bitterness.

Taste: Big time bitter blazing the palate, running hop flavor up and down, thrilling the senses. Huge bitter hoppitude, tons of citrus and pine. Mmmm.

Medium body, long bitter hop finish. Definitely for hop heads only here. I like this one. It was made for me, but I didn't lose my hop head over it, hopsecutioner. My hop head is still holding strong.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Says it's best enjoyed by the second week of June...that was 6 months ago.

A- Pours a semi-hazy copper color with a two finger head that lowers to a one finger head and has dimples in the foam formation that looks very nice. Good lacing as well, with many bubbles sticking to the glass.

S- Wow. This is gonna sound weird, but initially I get a perfumey aroma that smells like floor cleaner followed by a rubbery kind of astringency. Now, this might be an unpleasant smell if it wasn't immediately followed by the burst of tropical fruitiness that lingers afterward. Mango, coconut, papaya, pineapple, some lemon and a trace of kiwi and peach are all present in the aroma which is complex at the very least.

T- As soon as I sip, I taste the malts which are more apparent than in the nose. They are of course complemented by the intense hop flavor that's to be anticipated but it's not so much bitter as it is tangy and almost sweet. It's odd though, because the flavor doesn't really match the aroma so when you sip there's a bit of conflict. That astringency is coming through again. Kind of like lemon Pine-sol (not that I've tasted lemon Pine-sol before but you catch my drift). I think the generous amount of alcohol in the brew also has a hand in these strange flavors and aromas.

M- Medium-high carbonation coupled with the oily feel from the hop resins make this brew come through as thick and juicy as one could expect from such an ambitious project.

O- At first, I wasn't impressed by this one. But, once I broke it down and drank it from a glass rather than a bottle, I could fully appreciate it. Terrapin isn't in the forefront of the craft beer movement, but they're one of the major players for sure. Keep it up guys!

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into pint glass. My wife picked up a bunch of beers when she was in North Carolina that are not available in Texas.

A: Glowing rich amber with nice lacing and head. Good looking brew.

S: Piney notes from the nose but I also get quite a bit of malt tones as well.

T & M: Nicely balanced, mouthfeel just slightly on the flat side. Don't get the piney notes from the nose in the taste. Almost a tartness to the beer. Quite enjoyable.

D: Quite drinkable despite the surprisingly high ABV. Wouldn't mind if Terrapin was to come to North Texas.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

A- Carmel color with an off white thick head that laces the glass.

S- not much for me, id love to rate this more but i just dont get much. Hoppy obviously....

T- Wow! this is great! the hops hit you with the freshness and the bitterness lasts. There is some slight citrus. This is a tasty brew that leaves a craft beer person wanting just one more taste

M- carbonated and flavorful, but for me its a pretty medium flavor. Not overpowering.

D- Great brew and an easy drinker if you are a hop head! Hop heads rejoice, this is a great hoppy beer!

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Orange-copper color with a one-finger white head. Good lacing, but not much retention.

Smell: Strong floral hops with a note of sweet malts. I'd say this is the beer's strongest point.

Taste: Bitter hops up front, but they're not VERY bitter - just enough. There's a little bit of malt presence, but the aftertaste is a bit lacking.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a middling-light body, but again, the aftertaste is a little disappointing. It's kind of watery.

Drinkability: This is easy to drink and enjoy; I like it. It's not quite what I thought it would be: with a name like 'Hopsecutioner', I expected this to be a lot bolder. But overlooking that, it's extremely enjoyable and well worth getting.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Cigar City pint glass.

A: Pours out a dark ruby/orange in color, nice off white head that dissipated fairly quickly and stellar lacing.

S: Piney hops, little malt action in the back.

T: Nice hit of the hops in form of pine in the front. Has a nice backing of the malt in the back, but is safe to say its a one-way beer. The bitterness stands out for me, which I enjoy thoroughly.

M: Medium in body, nice carbonation, abv hidden given the content, goes down clean.

D: Stellar IPA in every regard. Would drink often if it were available in the WNY area. Look forward to trying more Terrapin beers in the future.

Recommended

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a thick white foam head that leaves decent lacing.

S- Really dank wet hop aroma with some pine and a huge wave of grapefruit. Very citrusy and very nice!

T- Bitter hops upfront with some grapefruit and booze. Not alot of malt to speak of but a slight sweetness is present in the finish.

M- Medium bodied with slightly low carbonation.

O- Overall a very nice IPA and one I would pick up again when traveling to GA.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A delicious IPA with some sticky maltiness and juicy citrus notes- fairly typical of Terrapin's hop-forward beers.

The beer pours with the typical medium copper color, rustic haze, and well formed off-white head. The beer's head retention is very solid while leaving convencing rings of lacing behind. Definatley a formitable appearance.

Aromas of both bright citrus hops and pungent resiny ones work to form the complex hop profile. Grapefruit, orange peel, and pineapple blend with pine and grassy elements for a very variant nose. Not to be forgotten are the deep caramel malts that nearly rival the intensity of hops- taking on a Double IPA aroma.

Flavors also fall in line with the aromas. Caramel malts make much more of an impact in flavor than expected, but soon enough the hop flavor and bitterness grow to eventually dominate the beer. All of those citrusy and tropical flavors continue to grow thought the mid palate, but then they turn the corner and the more bitter pine and resiny bitterness gain control and drive the beer into a malty-dry and resiny bitter finish.

The beer takes on a heavier-than-usual body, starting out with a weighted creamy texture that diminishes greately but never really releases into complete dryness or lightness. A persistant sweetness lingers on the palate, lessening what's great about the style.

The intesity and complexity of hops are outstanding. It's those pesky malts that keep the beer form displaying the hop dominance that it deserves.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at Teresa's Next Door.

Pours an orangey copper color with two fingers of fluffy head which lefts ample lacing.

The nose is dominated, obviously, by hops. The beers smells very piney with some citrus fruit, particularly grapefruit, thrown in as well. This is a great smelling beer.

The taste was not as hoppy as the smell (or the beer's name) would indicate. There is some well balanced malt flavor, a little breadiness, to compliment the citrus flavor of the hops.

The mouthfeel is thinner than expected and a little oily. At 7.3%, this is a well-balanced and exceedingly smoothy IPA that I could drink several of in a sitting.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer looks a nice deep, dark orange color. It's kind of hazy and thick looking, has a nice head that's receding though. It smells delicious and very piney. Second smell is definitely grapefruit and passionfruit.

Taste is maltier thatn I expected, but very good. It mellows into a slight bubblegummy, oily hop flavor throughout the sip and ends on a lip smacking thickness.

Mouthfeel is a little too chewy for my tastes, but it comes with the style I guess, especially one that's amped up a bit.

Very drinkable. I got a 6 pack and I'm glad I did.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Nice pour, golden orange with lots of head.

S - Citrus and piney hops, very strong and pleasant smell.

T - Great flavor, orange and lemon notes and fresh piney hops.

M - Good fresh hops.

O - Enjoyed this beer with a friend, always the best way to do it.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to gfb108 for sharing a few bottles of this with our group at Brass Rail on 12/14/09.

A - Poured a clear, sparsely carbonated orange/amber body with a slim white head that reduced to a patchy film, thin ring of retention and spotty lace.

S - Citrus oil and a hint of pine paired with a grainy malt character and sweet caramel notes. This is exactly what I like about an IPA!

T - Flavor offers a balanced blend of toasted grains and caramel malt with a prevalent citrus rind character and a hint of pine. Hopsecutioner is more hoppy and sticky than I was anticipating, yet it retains a pleasant, well-balanced flavor.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a kind of slick, oily and slightly syrupy texture. Finishes with a slight lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Hopsecutioner is simply a tasty straight-up IPA that is well-balanced and flavorful. While it doesn't slay you with hops, it does have a pronounced hop character and pleasant flavor.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

not as bitter as name suggests. nice 1 finger head with a lace that seems very even throughout..starts a bit pungent and followed by a nice balanced taste. overall I would drink again

12oz bottle

A- Pours a clear copper/amber color with a nice off-white head that possesses good lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is pretty balanced between the malt and the hops. Sweet caramel and citrusy hops largely make up the aroma. Nothing over the top, but very nicely done.

T- The taste like the aroma is almost perfectly balanced. It has a solid caramel malt base with a good dose of bittering hops in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a great IPA. Not over the top in bitterness like some on the market, but just a well-crafted IPA that is highly drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well now that I've reviewed one of the big local IPAs (and trashed it), here is another one.

Slightly hazy copper, some head and lacing, but dissipates quickly. There is, however, something intriguing about the small amount of foam on top of the beer and the little web it forms, though; it's making me lick my lips even though the head and lacing are nothing special.

Smell: Hmm, this is wound very tightly for some reason; practically have to dip my nose into it to get much of anything. What's there is a combination fruity (orange?) and grassy that I like.

OK I like this quite a bit. The beer is disappearing fast. Something ragingly drinkable about this one. They've done a great job of blending everything together into a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. Hard to tell the individual elements, but that's a good thing. It's very much a West Coast style, but not aggressive. Great fruity-hoppy-malty composite. Very professional work from Terrapin!

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company