Terrapin Hopsecutioner | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 760 | Ratings: 3,255
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Extra in a recent trade. Poured into Tulip.

A: Golden see through amber with couple mm head. Lots of bubbles clinging to side of tulip.

S: I'm getting some citrus as well as pine in this one. Although it's an IPA there is a nice balancing malt in there.

T: Bitter right from the get go. I think it's balanced though. Nice hop presence is done nicely with the malt here.

M: medium bodied, not watery in any way.

D: Very enjoyable IPA. Not as big as a lot of what is out there now but I don't think they were going for that. I really enjoyed the more balanced IPA here and could easily drink a few of these despite the 7.2%

3.51/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours an orange tone with a bright white head which dissipates to thick foamy blotches with excellent lacing.

Big citrus and pine nose.  Grapefruit, lime, and pine.

The flavor profile is aggressive buttering hops; I mostly get grapefruit and pine.  Middle is malty, but bitterness wins in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with nice carbonation.  It does finish with some perceivable alcohol.

This is a nice, hoppy, bitter IPA. But, a bit one-dimensional.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

A very decent IPA. A little citrus on the nose, a little grapefruit bite on the tongue, pretty mild mannered.Not much of of head, but decent lacing. Not overly anything to be honest, but a very solid very drinkable IPA that anyone could enjoy. I'd buy it again sometimes the 2nd try yield more than the 1st try.

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had a friend visiting Atlanta this last week and like a great friend, she brought back some good craft brews for us to try.

A: Poured from a 12oz glass bottle labeled best by 7th month 1st week (it's currently March). Pours a dark amber with redish hues. This brew is very active with carbonation ever-present. Head is thin and lacing is poor but those are the biggest things that take away from an otherwise beautiful appearance.

S: The smell is reminiscent of grapefruit and cannabis sativa. A very vegetative scent is complimented with fresh hints of citrus. Great hoppy, sweet and promising smell.

T: Coming from the smell, the taste is a bit of a letdown. An instant effect of bittering hops is followed by heavy malt character. Malts get progressively heavier and more medicinal. A standard ale taste prevails but mellows near the end. The aftertaste is quite pleasant with well-rounded and complementing hop and malt flavors. Oddly enough, the aftertaste is far more pleasing than the actual taste...

MF: For an IPA this has a medium to medium-heavy mouth feel. To me, it's a little heavier than what a "good" IPA should be.

D: A slightly too high ABV to be able to classify this as a good session but a casual beer drinker could probably put a few of these back. For the IPA lover, one or two of these will be more than enough before having something truly great.

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

This APA was my first selection of a truely hopsy beer by Terrapin. Suffice it to say, it wasn't my favorite.

A: Poured a light brown color with decent head and little to no lacing, typical of APA's.

S: Hops up front with alcohol notes. Undertone of hopsy florals.

T: Not my favorite. A bitter flavor most notable from the hops. Not sweet. Slightly acidic and alcoholic and over the top hops. Definitely out-of-balance on the far hopsy side. Only saving grace is the flavor is dry and doesn't linger.

M: Full bodied and dry. Carbonation is fizzy and gassy.

D: Not one of my favorites. If you really like hopsy APA's or IPA's, this might be right up your alley. It wasn't up mine.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I very nice IPA. At 7.4% ABV I was prepared for something that took me back to a high school party at a gravel pit, grave yard, barn, abandoned house, or all of the above. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was not overpowering, yet still bold. My first experience with the beer followed a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Big mistake. Too much comparing and contrasting. I'm too much of a green horn to be doing that. The next time around, however, I started with the Terrapin and it was a totally different experience. I would gladly have another. Or two. Or twelve.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a very clear amber. Nice head with great lacing. Smells of English hops and malt, not bad Taste is a little over bitter for me, which hurts drinkability. The bitterness is balanced alright with malt character, but I just think hop flavors are not super. That is me!

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Nice pour, golden orange with lots of head.

S - Citrus and piney hops, very strong and pleasant smell.

T - Great flavor, orange and lemon notes and fresh piney hops.

M - Good fresh hops.

O - Enjoyed this beer with a friend, always the best way to do it.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

I sampled this bottle soon after trying "Jai Alai" from Cigar City and it compares favorably.

It pours up a slightly cloudy copper with a fluffy off-white head full of hop and pine notes. Nice and creamy mouthfeel with lots of lacing remaining on the glass throughout.

It bursts with hops and citrus flavours but finishes dry and bitter. ABV barely noticeable.

A perfect summer pour.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden copper color with a thin head. Smell is sweet and juicy with a hit of hops/pine notes. Taste is much the same. Appears to be a little malt forward with a late/middle hit of hop bitterness. Light to medium body. Really digging it.

appearance: nice golden light copper color

aroma: piney hops with a hint of the malt backbone

taste: starts sweet and malty and then the hops take over and the piney hop flavor coats your palate

mouthfeel: good carbonation nice medium body

This is a nice american ipa and I would seek it out again since they do not distribute in my area

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

It's 11:59 pm. Death Row. The Governor hasn't called. Prepare to be hopsecuted...

Oh, we've heard about the Hopsecutioner. He's that 7.2% American IPA from those mad scientists, er, brewers, down in Athens. What do you expect from a city that gave us R.E.M. and The B-52's?

The door opens with a loud creak, and he strides in. Beneath his mask, we see the fluffy (yet menacing) head of foam that doesn't want to go away. The body is a deep brassy bronze, muscular, a little darker than usual for the style. Being a hopsecutioner can do that to a beer...

He closes in. That's not the smell of fear, but it is the smell of piny hops, with a little bit of citrus and floral ones thrown in for kicks. It's not quite the frontal assault one might expect, but is actually somewhat nuanced. Perhaps the hopsecutioner isn't quite what he seems...

Time for the kill shot. It's a tasty demise. A well-balanced combination of bitter pine, tangy citrus and sweet malt. Some hints of bubblegum and black pepper, maybe a touch of lemon. The hopsecutioner knows his job, and he does it well...

Drifting into the abyss, we hope that beervana exists, and that we're headed there for eternity. We also notice the crisp carbonation, the medium body, and the present but not overwhelming hop acidity. So this is what being hopsecuted feels like...

His work completed, the hopsecutioner exits, making his way toward his next victim. If death by beer is my fate, there are some other IPA's I may prefer to slay me. But the hopsecutioner can stand proudly as someone I'll invite over again. He may not be all smiles, but he's good company, in his own way...

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Wierd label art with a sort of "teenage mutant ninja turtle" chopping hops in a guillotine. Bright copper with a small head that diminished quick and clung quite well. Nice mostley pine smell some citrus in the background. Taste is big hop (citrus and pine, but this time citrus dominating) and some mild sweetness. Malt does actually come through a bit. Had to check the ABV on this one when I felt some warmth. Alcohol taste is far from boozey and really adds to this one. Linger sticks around for a while. Carb is super sharp and mouth wateringly refreshing. Mouthfeel is medium making it pretty drinkable. I will seek this out again.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, well within the suggested serving date.

A: Orange with a golden tone and red hue. Not much of a head, if there was it settled rather quickly, but the lacing on the glass was there.

S: Honestly I cant say much for the smell. For being an American IPA I expected more aroma. Maybe it was my dinner that night. The aroma I got mostly was pine, and raisins.

T: The hop presence was there but I thought this rather one dimensional. I like a bitter front with a strong balancing malt backbone finish. The hopsecutioner just didnt have that for me.

M: I'd say not quite medium bodied but rather moderate, I did like the creaminess associated with this IPA.

O: Maybe I thought the label was misleading a bit.. Hopesecutioner to me means hops galore, I kept taking sips to find what I was looking for and I never found it. My highest rating on this was appearance, I'd much rather have a higher rating on taste and smell. With that said its not a bad beer just not what I thought it was going to be.

Had on draft at Taps Grill 7/21/10. Reviewed from notes.

A: Came from the bar, a deep orange color, with hardly any head. Lacing as the beer went down was decent.

S: Beer smells great. Seems like you are in for a big hop taste.

T: Decent...that's about it. Seems like with the name, I'd stand out as a supper hoppy bear, but it doesn't. There's a bit more malt there...but a good blend. I just don't think the beer does the name justice - I would like to see a 95+ IBU.

D: I had this beer from the bottle once and wasn't real impressed. From the tap, it's better. Very drinkable for the a 7+% IPA. I will be having this again on draft.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at Taco Mac in Atlanta at the Prado

A - clear, copper color with nice lacing.

S - nothing stands out. Mild citrus and biscuit

T - bitter on back of the tongue. Hops are present but don't dominate.

MF - very good. Crisp. Good carbonation. Medium body. Possibly the best attribute of this beer

Overall: I am a west coast IPA snob so keep that in mind. This was crafted very well but the hop profile was weak. Could have used some late boil or dry hops to give it a nose and an identity. Quality beer just not enough hops for what it claims to be.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a somewhat hazy orange-amber with a decent foamy white head, setlles to leave some spotty lacing

S- mostly pine and floral hops, very little citrus characteristic. good sweet caramel malty backbone pushes through.

T- a little weak on the hops for something advertisd a "something for a hophead to lose their headover" same piny-floral hops chracteristic but alot more malt than i expected for this beer.

M/D- mouthfeel is somewhat thin for something of this abv. good carbonation for this style and very drinkable. i would like to see some more hops push though in the flavor though, a little lacking there.

3.36/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy copper and orange color. Almost completely opaque. One finger head.

Smell is mainly sweet malts. Not picking up a ton of hops. Sweet tangerine and citrus.

Taste is quite interesting. It tastes almost watered down. Sweet citrus fruits and malt. A little bit of malt but nothing major. No alcohol presence at all. I guess that's one thing they did well.

Mouthfeel is nice. Good carbonation. Although a little watery.

Overall this beer is decent. One of the most sessionable beers I've had recently. Maybe my palate is wrecked because of the Heady and other DIPAs I've had recently but this just doesn't satisfy the want for hops.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into standard pint glass on 5/23/10, best enjoyed by September Week 3 punched into the label.

Appearance: Pours light copper to amber with great clarity. Constant up-flow of carbonation leading to a persistent half inch creamy off-white head. Pretty impressive lacing to begin the session, ends with the occasional sticky patch.

Smell: Big hop aroma right away, citrus and grass with a hint of pineapple. Very pleasant and what I expect from an IPA.

Taste: Similar to the nose, hops right up front. Light flavor, not overbearing bitter. Citrus and pine with an earthy finish. Sessionable and a good candidate for a beer to introduce to non craft drinkers, but not as bold as I would have expected from the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation as apparent from the look. Medium to thin body with a nice dry finish.

Drinkability: Fantastic drinkability. It would be no problem to put a few of these back. Alcohol is all but non existant, which could be dangerous with how easy these go down.

Overall, good but not fantastic. Light flavor that isn't as hop forward as I would have hoped. Is one I will have again, great value, but not the most impressive.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz into hotel dixie cup =(, best if enjoyed by sept week 3
A- golden, creamy white head
S- Big citrus notes, fruity, nice
T-Creamy, sweet, some citrus, a bit floral, very drinkable, not that hoppy
M Really thick without having the big malt backbone, hard to describe
O- This beer is pretty drinkable, its not spectacular, and I would not buy it again for the price, but there is nothing really wrong with it.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From bottle, took me to 4th of a six pack to figure out. Decent offering but definitely more malt than hops. Smells hoppy, initial taste is hops but malty takes over and lingers with a malty bite rather than a bitter finish. Almost in agreement with another review that called this a pale ale. Maybe my review would be different if I tasted blind and was told this was a pale ale. Worth a bottle but maybe no more unless you like a malt hop combo leaning toward the malt side.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to Maltzilla for throwing this in as an extra. Poured into a Terrapin pint glass.

A- Golden to orange with an eggshell-colored 2-finger head.

S- A lot sweeter than I expected. The biscuity, caramel-like malts seem to dominate the aroma as opposed to hops (which is what one expects from a beer with a name like "Hopsecutioner.") I get some floral hop bitterness, but not much.

T- Not really very sweet (as nose led on) and not really very hoppy. Tastes a little watered down almost. The bottle says best before the 2nd week in July, which I wouldnt trust, but that's also still 4 months away. Slight lemon-cleaner-like bitterness, but nothing worthy of the name.

MF- A little thin and no stickiness or hop oil slickness which I usually like in the higher abv American IPAs.

D- Goes down easily, but the flavor is so mediocre that it doesn't really deserve a great score for ease alone.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a relatively clean pint glass that once showed the name and icon of a surf shop, but years of use and washing have eroded off much of the text, so there are rogue strokes of cursive scattered around the glass haphazardly. Poured with over an inch of orange creme head on a very bubbly orange body.

Smells very citrusy and bright: pineapple, mango, apricot. Grass.
Taste is bolder, not as bright: grapefruit, orange, an undercurrent of malt sweetness with some earthy/piney notes.
Not much carbonation. Some very fine tingling left in the mouth after.
A good beer. For some reason this beer always loses much of its charm quickly, after only a few sips. I'll still continue to drink it all the time though.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer pours a light amber with good head into my trusty Sam Adams glass

The smell is not overpowering, the hops are present, it is possible this is not a super fresh bottle.

The taste is good, kind of subtle to be called Hopsecutioner, another reason I think this bottle is not super fresh

The mouthfeel was good; I am enjoying this beer after a day of working in the yard, and loving it!

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company