Capt'n Krunkles Black India Pale Ale | Terrapin Beer Company

Side Project #10

Added by gford217 on 03-19-2010

3.8

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

This is a really interesting and unique beer. It is listed as a black IPA but I think it is more than that. Deep black color with tan colored head. Aroma is a wonderful mix of typical IPA mixed with complex coffee stout. Taste is quite unique. Hops abound in the beginning. Not as much as a typical imperial IPA or even upper end IPA. But I didn't miss the extra hops at all. It was immediately replaced by rich roasted malts and coffee. I wasn't expecting the richness and complexity from the malts that it has.

I would definitely buy this again and probably will next time I see it. I feel like I could drink several of these, the drinkability is much higher than I expected for the style. Very interesting and worthwhile beer for its uniqueness.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a deep, warm sable with a very thick, fine-bubbled, fairly persistent beige head, more like a stout or porter than an IPA. Aroma, though, is quite hoppy like a typical good IPA, except that it has an undertone of molasses and hints of smoke. Flavor is fairly hoppy and yeasty with a nice smoky overtone and subtle hints of roast coffee and brown sugar - delightfully different! I am in love! Texture is smooth and quite tingly, albeit just a teensy on the thin side; it leaves a pleasantly smoky, hoppy and fizzy finish. Recommended!

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Dark in color, no distinguishable flavor

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a bomber into my Duvel Tulip

A - solid black with a nice creamy looking tan head, heavy lacing in the glass, this thing looks mouthwatering

S - coffee and chocolate with a mix of piney hops. Interesting combination of smells both are distinct and present in the nose

T - Taste really follows the smell in this one. You can distinctly taste the chocolate/coffee flavored roasted malts at first with a layer of piney hops mixed in. It really reminds me of a imperial stout at first and then finishes with the flavor of an IPA. Maybe a hint of the malt again at the very very end. This is a pretty complex beer that has a lot going on. The mix of flavors is close to being confusing but overall works well.

M - Great mouthfeel, low carbonation with a medium body, this really adds to the drinkability. Kind of blends the mouthfeel of a syrupy IPA with a think stout without really falling in either category.

D - As previously stated the mouthfeel really makes this one easier to drink. The complexity of the flavors may take away a little bit of the drinkability but the flavor is great so it doesn't take away much. I would definitely recommend anyone that has an opportunity to try this to go for it. I will probably pick up another bottle of this at the store.

4.39/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Notes from 08/28/2010:

22 oz. bottle at 42* poured into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: This beauty pours jet-black with a 2 finger khaki head. It doesn't have the best retention, leaving a fluffy ring around the sides of the glass.

S: The aroma is a mind-boggling blend of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and hops.

T: Chocolate, coffee, light citrus flavors, and some smoke play magical tricks on my palate.

M: It is acidic to the tongue when cold but comes more refreshing as it warms.

D: I could down a couple of these a night if I had the money.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a large tan head that has excellent lacing and retention. Looks great in the glass.

S- The aroma is largely comprised of piney hop resins with very faint roasted malts. Smells great, can't wait to try it!

T- The taste like the aroma has some faint roasted malts in the background with the hops clearly stealing the show in this one creating a nice lingering bitterness that leaves you craving the next sip.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is probably my favorite Side Project beer to date. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to try the next new release from Terrapin!

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

There has been some debate about "Black IPAs" I dont care what you call a beer so long it taste good. This beer does.

Pitch black. Two-finger Mocha head. Great lacing. Looks great.

Hops dominate the aroma. Pine and earth. Some faint coffee aroma.

Flavor is much bolder than the aroma. Dry roasty body. Fantastic. Irish dry flavor on Steroids. The hops are powerful and earthy.

The body is fairly viscous. Moderate carbonation.

A very nice beer and extremely unique (to me). The flavors compliment each other very nicely, much more than I ever thought. I would not be disappointed if this was a regular from Terrapin, though the price is fairly steep.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Infinite thanks to Bennettrox for supplying me with my long lost White Whale! :)

A - Pours a near pitch black body, with a predominant tan creamy head of about two fingers. Lace was great and the head dissipated to a nice lightly foamy ring.

S - There's a surprising amount of piny, floral hop notes here! But the biggest contenders are bit roasted notes, chocolate and light notes of roasted coffee.

T - There's still a fairly strong bitter bite. Hoppyness is subdued, but definitely there: floral, woodsy and piny...just like I like it! Nice chocolate, coffee and roasted notes round it out.

M - Creamy, medium to full body. Good carbonation level.

D/O - Drinkability is great.

I know this isn't at it's peak, but for it's age, it's still extremely enjoyable and just about everything I imagined it would be! The only downside is that it makes me a lot more depressed that I didn't get a chance to try it fresh, as I know it would have been amazing...

I need another Ryan...

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

The 10th installment in Terrapin's Side Project program pours a deep, opaque mahogany with a big and fluffy beige head with great retention and lacing. The aroma starts with some light fruity citrus, oranges and lemons maybe, and some resinous pine. There is a nice backbone of dark roasted malts to help balance out the hops, but the citrus is still fairly prominent. The taste follows the aroma pretty well , but there is a bit more balancing of the orange and grassy hops by the backbone that the aroma suggested. The dry roasted character of the malts balance the hop bitterness of the finish.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Oh the long lost Krunkles, I have been searching so long for you! I finally found this pirate in a small liquor store in north Atlanta, captured him, opened him, and pored him in my belly. I had seriously been looking for this beer for many months, as I missed out on it when it 1st came out and it has been sold out for many months.

A - A very dark Porter, Stout looking color. A Mine had no head and little lace retention. maybe because its been on the shelf for a year.

S - Very hoppy. If you closed your eyes, you would expect an IPA. You would be shocked when you see it looks like a porter.

T - Fantastic! It has everything that I like in a porter and an IPA. Chocolate and coffee malts up front, but then finishes like an IPA. Great aftertaste.

M - Very crisp. Smooth throughout, with a nice alcohol mixed with chocolate aftertaste.

D - Oh my, I could drink this all night. I am very glad I grabbed 2 bottles. Terrapin needs to release this one again some day.

4.29/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

Big thanks to DosBerrigos and the QaEHC BIF for this gem!

As much as it pains me to try this outside of its optimal (and insanely rare) growler form, I will trudge forward. For the children. It pours a pretty much opaque black-brown topped by a couple o' fingers o' healthy tan foam. The nose comprises a nice bushel o' fruity hop aromas, with ruby red grapefruit leading the way, and some smooth, semi-toasted caramel coming through as well. The taste begins heavily in favor of the grapefruity hops; as the hops fade into the background, the caramel steps in, along with a touch of light coffee. The finish has all of these elements take a bow as the music slowly dies away and the lights gradually come down. The body is a hefty medium, with a moderate carbonation and rather creamy feel. I'm glad I was able to enjoy the Krunkles experience, especially after the hype. Consider it lived-up-to.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours like a stout. Super rich coffee and cream colored head and a nearly black color.

Rich, boozy aromas that smell more like an IPA than anything (which you'd expect) but the dark malt certainly plays here. Notes of ripe plum and a bit of smoke on the nose.

Nearly sour on the palate and is somewhat reminiscent of a true porter with the toasted malts, aggressive bitterness and deceptively light body given everything up to that point.

Certainly doesn't taste as boozy as it smells and is, all around a great dark beer for the summer months.

Pairing:
Black mole of grilled potatoes, nopales, and field peas

Capt'n Krunkles Black India Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company