Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Capt'n Krunkles Black India Pale Ale | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American Black Ale

Side Project #10

Added by gford217 on 03-19-2010

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Mine is a later version of this beer that I found in the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. Apparently, Capt'n Krunkles was popular enough as a Side jawn to come into his own command. He still peers into a spyglass with his left eye, but now he spies a hop cone and a couple of atolls on the horizon.

From the bottle: "The legend of 'Krunkles' begins on the high seas with this adventurous Black I.P.A. With a treasure chest full of hops, and malts as dark as the depths of the deep, this pirated beer is worth walking the plank for."; "'Live the Legend".

Ahoy there, Krunkles! This looks like a fine beer ye have, matey. I'll be Pop!ping the cap to find out for meself momentarily. Oh, aye, I'll be gentle with you and yer crew since I have no idee where ye been all this time as I chase down bottles far & wide. One of the scurvy lot didn't get the memo & I had to give him an in-glass swirl as a result. This caused a momentary uprising among the crew, resulting in a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head that sat back down as I made a move to quell things. The color scheme aboard this scow was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & ruby highlights. Rubies?!? I knew this bunch was holding out on me! I put my nose right up in Krunkles' face, demandin' that he tell me where the booty was stowed. He belched in reply & I could smell both the black coffee that he drank for breakfast in the galley as well as the breath mint that he was suckin' on! It were not unpleasant, all tolled, but I was no closer to my goal. I chomped down on his hand to get him to talk. Mouthfeel was solid, big for the style, with an unexpected creaminess. The taste itself, though, was rather bitter, not quite burnt and charcoal, but close and enough to overwhelm the hops that had been seemingly squandered in its production. The inherent problem with this style is its use of dark malts which do not showcase the hops, but overpower them, much as I am doing to Krunkles & his crew. I was left with a dry bitterness in me mouth, so I decided to Finish with them & take me leave. I know that they have other destinations in mind, Down Under, so I'll just follow them for a bit & see where it leads.

3.54/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz bottle, into glass

dark brown almost black, decent head. Aroma and taste are nice balance of slightly roasted malt and earthy hops. Very nice. Medium bodied.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up in variety pack. Best before 12.3.15. Poured aggressively into snifter. Black color with two inch tan head leaving decent lacing. Smell is not too strong but has roasted malt and booze. Taste is bitter pine with a pleasant roasted malt backbone. Very drinkable. Can't explain why but this is one of my more favorite black iPas. Cheers!

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, light coffee. Taste is roasted malts, some hops in the background, mild in flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a decent beer, but nothing special, and a little disappointing from this fine brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

picked up the mix 12 when passing through PA. enjoyed from a terrapin great pumkinfest glass mug. pours black w an off grey head that hung out and left nice lace. nose is a hoppy roast. taste to match. I am not a huge fan of the style but this one is excellent. really great blend of hop and roast. a winner in my book.

2.98/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

3.69/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice ipa flavor with a roasty touch.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good hop aroma and taste. Also has a little roasted malt to it.
Good black ipa