Terrapin Rye Pale Ale | Terrapin Beer Company

good
Read the review
Terrapin Rye Pale AleTerrapin Rye Pale Ale

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

Added by aracauna on 09-09-2002

Reviews: 770 | Ratings: 1,799
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

My first review (let's drink to that!) I picked this because it is the best of the Georgia brews.There was an issue with the bottled beer but that appears to have been fixed, I heard they weren't bottling it themselves when it was bad.
I disagree that you can taste or smell the rye, I think people use their imagination too much, the rye just adds other sensations to the dryness and mouthfeel.
It is their use of hops that makes this so good. It is well balanced and drinkable, more-ish. The alcohol level is not out of drinkability range either, it just qualifies for session status.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

I hadn't realized that this was a Rye Pale Ale when I drank it, I thought it was an IPA when I poured it and set my expectations accordingly. Interestingly, I thought it was a pretty good IPA but never detected any rye...

The pour is a hazy deep gold, cloudy with a pretty healthy white head. The foam hangs around a bit and clings to the glass nicely.

Smell is very inviting - restrained but distinct hops. I thought it was a bit light for an IPA but for a PA it's right on target. Hop notes are primarily pine and herb with a wee bit of citrus thrown into an interesting mix.

The taste was very nice. While I never noticed any rye (wonder if I would have if I was searching for them?) there's a really solid malt body here. Lots of biscuit dough and light toasted bread to give this beer a proper body. Hop notes, while reserved (as expected in a PA) are many and complex. Plenty of nice herbal notes, a little on the spicy side and a good mix of citrus peel and new mown grass. Plenty of complexity in this beer without that "everything but the kitchen sink" feel.

Mouthfeel is fine - medium bodied brew, ample carbonation, restrained bittering at the finish, nice clean palate. If the word hadn't been hijacked by Bud, Pepsi and 7Up, I'd call it "crisp"

Rye or no rye, this is a very drinkable brew. Low ABV, nice body, enough malt and hop notes to keep you interested... I could see this as a very good session beer and a good backyard BBQ brew. As I'm writing this I'm already wanting another, which I guess is good testimony to its drinkability.

Thanks to mntlover for this very tasty Pale Ale - now I have one more reason to visit Atlanta.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A:Fairly clear copper color. Poured with a little less than a finger of white head. Spotty lacing. Looks just like a pale ale should.

S: Lots of sweetness up front. I read they used a little bit of honey malt in this and it really does lend some nice complexity. The hops are quite subdued. The rye does come through in the nose with a little bit of spice. Just smells great. Super complex for a pale ale.

T: Again really complex for a pale ale. The way the crisp malt goes into the rye spiciness and just finishes with a touch of bitterness without really lingering.

M: Nice and dry. The mouthfeel makes me want to drink more of this.

D: This is one of those beers where you are drinking it then look down and see your pint is gone. This would be a daily drinker for me. I got this in NJ so at least they are making their way up north.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a very clear dark golden color. The peach cream hued head is big, creamy and sticky. Pretty nice for a pale ale.

Smells of candied grapefruit, tropical fruits (specifically, pineapple) and citrus peel. Very rich and complex.

Tastes of pine resin, spicy rye, very nice, powerful ripe white grapefruit flavor; tropical fruit (mango and pineapple), flowers. Fantastic flavor from the rye here and it complements the hops very well.

Full-bodied and skillfully carbonated. Very drinkable and delicious.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Grabbed at a cookout - poured into insulated tumbler

Pours an amber red with nice head, sticks around. Smells of grapefruity hop and spice. Taste is prickly in a good way and has a nice bite on the finish. Smooth on the palate while still being just bitter enough.

Overall I would buy this beer again - solid APA

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a six at Scrooge's in Anderson, SC on my way back from Clemson. Pours a hazy, reddish orange with a thick, rocky off white head. Good lacing. Light citrusy aroma with a bready background. Taste is well balanced between the flavorful hops and the caramel malt. My first rye beer and definitely not my last. Outstanding! Thanks to bobbyc881 for helping me find it.

This beer is awesome.
4.25 for appearance and smell.

Pours a 1 1/2 finger head with awesome retention and a nice orange color.

Smell is of sour rye and a bit of c hops.

Dry hopped c-hops come through to the nose on the swallow and it is so nicely balanced with the sourness of the rye and the slight bitterness of the hops. It's so well balanced and works so well.

The malts cling well the the palate and leave a slight stickyness that is balanced with a moderate crispness.

This beer is so well balanced, it's awesome. The sour rye with the perfect balance of hops with a slight dry hopping=one hell of a beer.

Thanks to Rblwthacoz for this one. WOW!

On tap at Taco-Mac.

A - Poured a deep amber color with a nice thick head that settled slowly leaving impressive lacing down the glass

S - Biscuit malty smell along with citrus and grassy hops

T - Wow..let's see..there was biscuit and bread flavors in the malt sweetness and then the rye cut the sweetness and imparted it's unmistakable flavor and then finished with a nice citrus hops flavor..very refreshing and good

M - A thicker mouth than I was expecting and with a nice amount of carbonation to deliver the hops to the palate, very good

D - I'm not a huge fan of the Pale Ale style, but this was a great beer and one I'll be back for again

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a DFH specialty glass.

Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale shows a nice dark straw color in the glass with some nice lighter grain-colored highlights. Slightly murky with a lively amount of carbonation running around on the inside of the glass. Throws up an inch of frothy head pockmarked with bubbles that leaves a nice sticky lace down the glass.

Spicy, citrusy hops dominate the nose of the beer, along with some malt towards the end of the aroma. Contrary to what the bottle says, I can't really sense too much rye in the nose, but it's probably because the hops dominate more than anything.

In the mouth, the hop and rye flavors blend nicely together to provide a uniquely spicy and citrusy yet somewhat grainy hop experience that is neither bitter nor overpowering, just damn flavorful. Some malts are also floating around to balance the flavor out.

Rye Pale has a good mouthfeel that boasts a pretty decent amount of carbonation over a smooth, medium-light body.

Overall, Terrapin has crafted a flavorful beer that contains enough hop flavor to satisfy all comers. Not bitter or offending to the palate, this is just a very enjoyable beer that I could easily put away several of in one night. My first Terrapin beer, and its good.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer was tasted in a Terrapin Shaker Pint Glass from the bottle.

This beer pours a golden orange with a frothy white head that leaves a nice lace and nice film. The first aroma that hits your nose is the combination of grapefruity citrusy hops grainy rye. Again the flavor is quite hop forward as is the smell but it is balanced nicely with pale malts and spicy rye. The mouthfeel rather full for a pale ale and has a nice carbonation. Overall one of the best pale ales out there and one to definitely get again and again.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with medium creamy off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a sheen and moderate lace. Smells quite green, fresh, and hoppy, with grapefruit, a bit of rye, and a touch of mint. Taste begins with sweet malts, develops lots of bitter grapefruit hop coarseness, and finishes with a slightly minty and spicy rye-bread twinge. Creamy and well-carbonated medium body. Extremely crisp, fresh, and refreshing!

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%

This was our offering for the First Freakin Firkin Friday at Barley's Taproom in Greenville,SC. The always wonderful Terrapin Rye Pale Ale was cask conditioned with Fench Vanilla oak chips, and then dry hopped with 5 ounces of Columbus Hops! It was great to see soo many people there. The expectation was for this one to last 2 hours, and it was kicked in 35mins! Glad I was able to get my two pints.

Casked was tapped at 6:00pm and I was licky enough to get one of the first pints that came out. Poured a nice hazy light amber with lots of carbonation. Initially had a nice fluffy white head, but this quickly faded leaving a thin film on the top. Some very nice lace down the sides. Good presentation. Smell was out of this world! May have been the freshest smelling brew I have ever head. Smell was gooey fresh cut hops, like you broke it off the vine. Very strong as well. Fantastic, I could use this as an air freshner. Depp piney and citrus, pineapple like tones, with just the right amount of sweetnss, mixed in with a fresh cut grass smell, wonderful. The taste was very nice as well. Very nice, light and hoppy. Hints of vanilla and oak permiatted through and blended well with the terrapins naturally great rye pale flavor. A little thin on the mouth, I thought it would have come out slightly more robust then it did, but it afforded a wonderful long lasting dry finish.

This was simply stated an awesome beer. Extremely drinkable and could have easily put down 10 of these all night long. Would probably have gone very well with some pizza, as the Terrapin Rye is my all time favorite pizza beer. Our first Freakin Firkin Friday was Friggin Fantastic! I cannot wait for another and hope Terrapin will stop by again!

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

cloudy orangish color, small short lasting head, hoppy smell. immediate hop taste, followed by a distinct rye malt, then a smooth hoppy finish. a great beer. on a side note, the artwork on the bottle is unique and the company website is entertaining.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with active, tiny carbonation bubbles. The head has a slight orange tint and is quite perky, with a densely foamy and frothy texture. Retention is very nice, with solid lacing.

S: Pale malt and yes, a bit of rye in the nose. A robust citric hop aroma of orange rind and grapefruit juice - nice. Some sappy pine notes are also lurking in among the citrus.

T: Malt is primarily pale, with light caramel flavor. Rye adds an appreciable spiciness without being too prevalent. Citric hops again add a firm touch, with grapefruit and orange most noticeable. Some light piney notes are also available. Bitterness is considerable for an APA.

M: Medium bodied. The carbonation lends a creamy texture before fading into a rather dry finish.

D: I'm pretty impressed by this beer. A very tasty pale ale that incorporates rye and a hop bill worthy of an IPA. When well executed, rye beers like this are a welcome addition to the world. According to the bottle, brewed at the Flying Dog brewery in Frederick, MD...interesting.

served on-tap at Mellow Mushroom, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a pint glass

Pours a even-bodied orange/amber color. Like tangerine but darker, I suppose. The 1.5 finger sized head seemed fairly well-composed and almost like a nitro-tap head in terms of small-bubbled consistency. Adequate lacing. Looks good.

Hops come first and foremost. Not quite abrasive in their bitter aroma but strong nonetheless. Orange and pine and... hemp, I believe, make for a sticky smell. Some doughy, bready malt surfaces of course. Not complex but everything works together and smells bright & fresh.

This is a fucking awesome APA. This glass at this bar on this night, anyway. Like a less pungent version of Founders Red's Rye, this beer brings the hemp/weed taste along with bright citrus fruit and rye spicy sweetness and bitter evergreen. All that hop flavor is grounded in breadcrusts and caramel malt. The balance lies in favor of the hops but this is a pale ale that I think most beer drinkers, even the hop-averse, can appreciate.

Rye Pale Ale has the kind of mouthfeel I perhaps most appreciate - the one you don't ever think about. Great carbonation level, great smoothness. I could put back a few of these in one night and enjoy every second of it. (And the only reason I didn't put back a few was because this same bar had Bigfoot on-tap still !)

If you see this on-tap, buy it. What a perfect college football session choice this would be.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle with freshness date clearly marked on label.

A - A gorgeous honey/amber color with a half finger white head.

S - The nose is that of bold citrus and earthy hops with maybe a faint sweet honey smell in the back

T - Great hoppy flavor that finishes clean. Some sweetness also present from the malted rye. A pretty balanced flavor from the hops and malts, but the hops win out in the end for me. Pretty damn tasty

M - The complex hoppy flavor blends really well with the carbonation. Also, by holding the beer on the tip of my tongue, I can pick up some of the sweet flavors from the malts. Good stuff. Finishes pretty clean

D - A light bodied, easy to drink pale ale...pretty much all I think needs to be said here. I definitely enjoyed this beer

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle says best by 4-8-08. Consumed on February 20, 2008.

A: Poured into a mug. Body is clear coppery-amber with a 1/2-finger off slightly off-white head. Some lace left behind.

S: Clean, fresh, juicy citrusy hops. Didn't get any sense of rye, but the hops were pleasant, though not overwhelming.

T: Toasty or breadish malt followed by grapefruity, citrusy hops. Slight taste/feel of rye is noticeable, especially lingering -- seems to cut the citrusy hops a bit with a certain dryness. Nice balance; crisp, clean and very tasty.

M: Smooth and creamy with good carbonation lending a crisp, drying feel to it. Body is lighter than medium in heft.

D: Excellent. Goes down VERY easily -- I think I drank two of these in under 30 minutes.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

I like pale ales and this one has a subtle uniqueness to it that I can"t quite place. It has a nice sweet bitter balance and stays lively for quite sime time in a glass. I think it also has a little tangy bite the blends in well. I could drink this beer as a thirst quenching brew. One of my favorite styles. Can't wait till MM gets it on tap shortly.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Had no idea of this brewery, and thanks to a trade from RustyDiamond, I am now thankfull and a fan. I am a huge american pale ale fan, love sierra to death, but this gives it a run for the money. Overall has the smooth citrusy hop notes of a sierra pale ale, but is much smoother on the finish and a bit easier to drink. Big up's to these guys, I will be telling more people about these guys on the west coast.

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Orange yellow/ yellow ocher, no head, foam disappeared faster than a sprite but was a yellowish color. Bubbles cling to the inside of the glass. Some cloud, well carbonated.

S: Linseed oil, spicy, orange candy, some sort of chemical like in an oil, Das.

T: Follows the nose. Linseed oil, orange, spice, oil chemical scent. Lemon peel.

M: Medium bready body, medium high carbonation, dry finnish.

O: Very unique, worth a try. I like its dry quality, and it has a cool bottle. Would go well with lemon desserts, lemon merangue, lemon squares, etc.

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%

A sensation session beer. Just the right amount of rye to make it unique and interesting, but not too much of anything.

12oz bottle received in a trade poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass. Not much of a head - makes me worry about age. Clear gold color. Nose has some hard-edged malt - not hop-led like (say) a Sierra Nevada Pale, but not mellow or sweet, either.

Taste is wonderful. All sorts of grain dancing on the tongue, some weight and thickness to the texture, hangs around a bit, almost overstays its welcome. Hops add character, but aren't the showcase given the bitter malt. Begs for a follow-on sip.

One of my favorite pales. Like no other.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad to see this beer in bottles because I enjoyed it so much when I got to try it from the tap. Even if I had to be in Atlanta to take some home.

I poured this one out into a standard tumbler pint glass. The body is an orangish shade of amber, and slightly hazy. The head starts out somewhat robust but falls rather quickly into a thin cap of foam. Sparse bottle-conditioned carbonation stumbles languidly to the top of this beer to support it.

I love the smell on this beer, crisp with a variety of hop smells. Big citrus rind and tangerine scent, smells of pine as well. The malt is solid and sweet smelling but seems to be softened up a little bit by the rye.

I’ve noticed some reviews mention that this is a lot harsher in bottled form. I don’t pick up on that myself. Possibly the initial batches were rushed out without proper time for conditioning. Initially the malts play mildy sweet and smoothly across my palate. As it crosses the middle of my tongue it seems to become a bit more tangible in it’s malt flavor. Next the hop flavors run the full circle, citrus, tangerine, pine, and grassy flavors. It finishes crisp and refreshing with just the teeny-tiniest hint of dryness. Not a single off or out of line flavor crosses my tongue from this magical little beer. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and the carbonation is very soft.

This beer is robustly hoppy, yet it still possesses a sense of mildness and balance. A beautiful thing and probably my favorite southern brewed beer. Much respect to Terrapin Beer Co. for this masterpiece.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

I first rated this one about a year and a half ago long before I developed my taste for hops. (Which began about 6 months ago). Since I have now become nearly chemically dependant on hops, I figured I'd give this another go, and boy am I glad I did. This poured wonderfully! A beautiful slightly hazy golden orange with a lovely 2 and a half finger white head which really hung around for a while. Heavy, sticky lacing dresses the sides of the glass. The smell is powerfully citrusy hoppy. To the same style of Hercules DIPA, but not nearly as strong, of course. Smells absolutely delicious! The taste is hops almost all the way through. Citrusy as it washes over your tongue, then turning pine like. The only malt that shows up does so in the after taste. Not exactly what I would call balanced, but for what it is, it's delicious and I like it. Mouthfeel is great. appropriately carbonated for the style, and a good weight for what it is. As for drinkability, this is extremely sessionable. I could drink this all night!! Funny how our tastes change over time, eh?
Blessed Be
-SS

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, thanks to Dustin from Terrapin for alowing us to dry this great beer from Terapin, it was a pleasure to drink this in your presence haha.

Ok...so this beer is beautiful up front. It is dark and rich in color. THere is a nice almond head to it.

The nose is very nice on this beer. It is sweet and hoppy while striking smooth rye malt notes thoughout. It is well rounded and not biased to really any style.

The tast is a little tart, quite hoppy, and has a nice malt rounding taste and smoot malty mouth feel. It is very clean and very well balanced.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: orange in color with a thick 3" head that lasts for several minutes. Nice lacing develops during the session. Slowly rising carbonation bubbles and the thick head makes this beer look great.

Smell: orange citrus and some grassy tones are the strongest tones, while hints of caramel are softer on the nose.

Taste: grainy malt sweetness, oranges, grass, and a decent bitterness make up a refreshing ale that sports a bit of a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout with a bit of graininess. Medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: it's wonderfully easy to consume this beer. Definitely find this on tap if you can.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company