Terrapin Rye Pale Ale | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Rye Pale AleTerrapin Rye Pale Ale

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

Added by aracauna on 09-09-2002

Ratings: 1,816 |  Reviews: 775

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

The only beer I have had from Terrapin is the Wake-n-Bake… and it is to die for. I mean, seriously the best coffee beer I have ever had. We had it on tap on Florida, but have traded for several bottles of it since. That beer isn't on the list, which surprises me. Maybe we can score another bottle and do an "off the wall" review of it for you. It is SO good, it makes me cry I can't have a bottle every morning!

I do like rye, so this should be a good offering. I like the word "smooth" when used to explain it. They are right about the resurgence of rye whiskey. That is a hot item right now, and you can tell just walking the aisles at Total Wine & More. We landed this bottle in a trade with our good friend Ashley Bower. I hope she is drinking something good here on National IPA Day! Cheers.

In the Glass: Is this beer flat? There are no bubbles here. No head, either. If I didn't know any better, I would think this is a hoppy barleywine. It almost looks thick in the glass. There is no lace and the beer just seems to sit there waiting to be consumed. Fine, I will drink you. This is a pale ale… is there a National Pale Ale Day?

Nose: Imagine the smell of freshly baked bread, and then toss in some hops. This smells amazing. It is not an overwhelming aroma, but man… GREAT nose. I am serious, though. This smells like bread. I would even go as far as saying rye bread. See what I did there? I hope those same notes carry over to the flavor. Cheers!

Flavor: Nope. Those flavors do not carry over. Is this beer boring because I have already consumed two double Indiana pale ales this evening? I mean, I am flat out disappointed in this. I would rather sit here and smell it than drink it. It is too cold, but there is hardly any flavor whatsoever. There is a hint of bitterness as I lick my lips, but that's it. Come on Terrapin. If you can produce a beer as delicious as the Wake-n-Bake, you can surely add some energy to your rye pale ale.

Mouthfeel: It drinks like a domestic. Unless you swish it around in your mouth, don't expect much character. I am really disappointed in this. I know Ashley likes it. I hope she isn't offended when I tell her how upset I am with the flavor of this one. Try harder Terrapin! I am going to let some of this heat up a little bit before finishing my glass.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is somewhat drying, but is leaving a lot to desire. I really wanted to be blown away with hoppy flavors here. I mean, they even call it a "hoppy pale ale". Most pale ales lack a lot of hop character, but I was hoping this would change my mind about it. I will say this would serve as a good gateway into an IPA. But this isn't something I am going to write home about.

Better yet, maybe I WILL write home and tell all my friends and family to not order this one. Boo!

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"One of the more unique beers coming out of the South, the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale offers a new twist on a classic style. By using an exact amount of rye this beer offers a complex flavor and aroma that is in tune with your taste." Brewed in the style of an American Pale Ale with an emphasis on Rye as the specialty malt. First brewed in 2002, this is the launch beer by Athens, Georgia's Terrapin Beer Company, and has been a staple year-round beer since.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Terrapin pint glass. Served north of 56º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a billowing creamy off-white head over a mildly hazy amber body with moderate relaxed carbonation. Retention is very good, lacing is medium-thick and sticky. This beer has a very solid appearance with no shortcomings. 4.5

(Smell) Aromas of pale malts, lightly toasted caramel malts and a touch of spicy rye grain for a bready depth. Hops are largely floral and fruity varietals with a moderate bitterness. Hints of citrus linger in the background. The hop profile is a very potent part of this beer's aroma. Balance is mildly sweet over bitter. 4

(Taste) Mildly sweet up front and continues throughout- you can certainly pull out the bready rye character that adds a touch of density to the malt profile beyond a clean pale barley malt. Hop characters are mildly fruity and subtle floral, providing a nice compliment to the rye. Bitterness is very mellow in this beer- it's not too far out of balance but a touch of extra hop bitterness could positively enhance the depth of this beer. It remains light in flavor and very drinkable, a fair craft introductory beer as well as a fair introduction to what Terrapin is capable of. If you don't like abrasively hoppy beers you may find great solace in the Rye Pale Ale. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Malt texture is smooth, slick and a touch resinous. Carbonation adds a moderate crispness and zing to the texture. Finish is just barely dry. Body is medium+ for the style, medium overall. Alcohol presence is low. Some mild mineral characters are discernible, but don't impact the taste much. 3.5

(Overall) This is a fair introduction to what Terrapin is capable of- the malt profile is a touch more excited and rounded with the inclusion of Rye, which has been almost a trademark stamp of the brewery since. Combine this with the accessibility of floral and fruity hop notes and you have a very drinkable ale. 3.75

Terrapin Beer Company's