Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green | Terrapin Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by mcallister on 08-05-2010

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Hmm. Really wish there was a fresh hop IPA category, in my mind these are different beers than standard American IPAs. I like the style when done well, with their herbal hops and slightly waxy notes, but when done poorly they can taste of rotting vegetation. This one is clean and nicely herbal, if a tad on the lighter side. Pours amber with a fairly light head that fades to nothing. Smells assertively herbal, but not spicy, and with some notes of paraffin in the background. Almost downright skunky. The taste is similar, but with pleasant additions of cream, some nuttiness, and more waxy notes in addition to the fresh herbalness. Quite smooth, and even a little creamy. Somewhat soft and not a lot of bite. I enjoyed the experiment, but from a lot of standpoints this is probably a better experiment with local hops.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a cloudy gold with a one-finger head that sticks around forever and leaves a lace ring. A wet, floral and spicy hop aroma along with some bread and caramel malt in the nose. Maybe a little thin or overcarbonated from the tap, but I found this beer to have a great hoppy bite as it is close to medium-bodied with a bready, cracker like dryness balanced w/ caramel and possibly honey sweetness and a great hop punch of citrus, spice and even a touch of grape. A great balance and while maybe not for all hopheads as the hops are simple and this beer is a tad sweet for a real hoppy IPA, I found it quite enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

On tap at the Drafting Room the other day.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. I don't get a whole lot on the nose, just some light orange citrus. It's attractive, but I just wish there was more of it. The flavor profile more or less replicates the nose, though once again there just isn't much to it. There is some fairly decent orange citrus and bitterness, but this beer really comes across as kind of simple, one dimensional, and just very underwhelming. The finish comes across as weak and a bit watery. Drinkability is OK I guess, but there are so many better examples out there of a good, solid, wet hop IPA, I just cannot see myself ever ordering this again. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing in this beer that reflects any wet hopping that might have gone into its making.

Not very impressed...

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, somewhat long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Smelled of floral hops and some citrus.

T: Tasted of hops, citrus, and a bit of malt in the finish. A solid flavor, but hardly groundbreaking.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick, oily finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A decently drinkable IPA.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Coppery-cadmium orange with a good clarity can be had in the glass with a bready white head that was well lasting. Vastly separated macro-bubbles race upwards at a quick pace while the lacing was thick on the glass with only small windows of visibility.

S: Hop aroma was strongest upon first uncapping. In the glass it wasn't as dominant. Fresh hop cones, with fresh vines as the label suggests was so green, green. Sweet malt instances with a light flowery citrus hop presence along with slight hints of thinly peeled apple skins.

T: The flavor was smooth, fresh feathery hop cone leafs, along with pale citrus and pine with a good toasted caramel grain base that brings some sweetness as well a powdery malt appeal. The balance is perhaps the selling point here, fresh hops, equally with a good malt base that is not overdone, but with enough show to give you that perfect feel and flavor that goes down without much thought. A nice seamless marriage of hops and malts with a flowery edge coming about of citrus and pine on the swallow.

M: Good carbonation feel, lively, especially on the tip of the tongue. Body is medium base with a flowery finish of hops lining the tongue.

D: Clean yet bitter enough to garnish respect. Finely crafted and balanced flavorwise makes this a good drinker for the masses and should garnish respect from those who like a balance brought to their drinking. I could do six pack here.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a clear copper color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is fresh leafy hops and some malt. I was expecting more hops in the nose, I was a little underwhelmed by the aroma.

T- The taste has some malt up front with a some fresh hop flavors in the finish. The hops are more flavorful than bitter. You can tell the hops are extremely fresh but I would have like to have seen the hops be a little more assertive in both the taste and aroma.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a good solid highly drinkable brew. My only complaint is the hops are not quite as prevalent as I would have wanted. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass. No freshness date which I find ironic.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch beige head that retains decently before popping away to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large, bubbly patch of surface foam. Sticky, melty lacing.

S- I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet this is the 2012 version (the shop I got it from has a low turnover so some bottles just sit) because I believe I'm picking up the Citra hops. Very floral and citrusy aroma that's somewhat pungent. There's a malt sweetness beneath as well.

T- Smoothly balanced bitter-to-fruity ratio. Mild notes of grapefruit mingle with the semi-sturdy malt backbone. Very vibrant and juicy with little trace of alcohol.

M- Somewhat sharp and oily. Medium carbonation, same with the body.

O- Great IPA that's easy to drink and doesn't skimp on flavor. The only thing that's annoying is I'm pretty sure I had the 2010 version which I also enjoyed but, since they keep the same label every year and there are no freshness dates on the bottles, there's no way of me knowing for sure which year it was because I didn't review beers back then. Oh well, this one's good and I guess that's all that matters.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

22oz bottle poured into a dimpled mug

Pours a pretty amber, clean and bright. A two finger ecru cap falls to form a thin collar and leaves some dots of lace behind.

Hmm. Fresh hop IPA? I know this is probably close to two months old, but boy have these hops faded. This is more of a dry hopped lager, not sure what the other reviews say.

The aroma is earthy and musty with a clean, crisp lager yeast like aroma. Some faint oranges and pine are a little difficult to pick out.

On the palate, this guy is very similar to the nose. Clean and crisp throughout with some earty spice up front. Orange rind and pine needles come through in the finish. Some lingering juicy orange.

Medium body, clean and crisp on the finish. This truly reminds me of a dry hopped lager and not a wet hop ipa.

A nice beer that I think a little age hurt. Still, if this was intended to be a fresh hop lager, this is well above average. But as a fresh hop ipa, this is short of middle of the road.

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

A small-headed, copper colored beer, this beer has an appealing allure, but balls a bit short. It's aroma is modestly hoppy, not nearly a fresh as I expected, given the name. Fruit, a touch of alcohol, some herbal hoppiness and a touch of resin. Muted. The flavor is similar to the taste, with a bit of pale malt coming forth. Medium body. A bit of warmth, and a dry character in the finish. Could be much better.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

One quick review before we're off next door, where there is no motorized vehicle involved in getting home, though it is uphill, unfortunately. Thanks to stormking47 for this bottle, again, with the amount of beer he sent me, I'll be thanking him for a while yet.

Pours a pure copper kettle. Smell is mixed for a fresh hop brew, pale malts with a hint of Metallica, far too little citrus.

So Fresh & So Green Green is false advertising as a fresh hop beer. Fresh malts, perhaps, because they're driving this bus, terrifically sweet up front with lush honey. Hops are secondary, mostly floral & bittering, but they're drowned in the sweetness, which comes rushing back in after the hops pass, quickly. Very sticky, you can discern the resins of the fresh hops - but where did the taste go?

Pretty routine as an IPA, disappointing for a fresh hop. Heavy-handed on the malts, light on the hops, this isn't a bad beer, but it's certainly not what I expected.

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

thanks to key west for having this available at conch as a single and thank you to TSA for not breaking everything in my suitcase!

A - Cracked the bottle and poured into a duvel tasting tulip. Poured a really nice amber color with a thin pinky of white frothy head. Carbonation was lively and I could see the bubbles racing from the bottom center to the top of the pour. Lacing was semi sticky leaving some ringish clling. Clear and crisp...dare I say, so fresh and so clean clean?

S - Malty hops. One of the maltuer IPAs I've ever smelled. Tamer than most pale ales even. Smelled nice, but not really what I usually look for in an IPA.

T - Again, somewhat like a bitter pale ale. It is odd to have the bitterness without the hoppiness I would usually look for in this kind of brew. I wish there was a bottled on or freshness date since this kind of feels like what I expect an IPA to taste like after the hops flavoring becomes heavily faded. Malty and tame, but not as smooth as something like HoTD's Ruth...but along those lines. I find Ruth to be a relatively tame Pale Ale, but this is an IPA.

M/D - Surprisingly bitter and tingly in the mouth with the almost absent hop presence. An easy drinker but this is no IPA like I'm used to. I tend to expect a big hop profile and this beer is really lacking what in my opinion is the crucial element for the style. The malt backbone is dominating. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't drink it if I was in the mood for an IPA.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Bomber into my Narke tulip...Pours a dark but clear copper with a huge tan head, really good retention and lacing. A huge fluffy cupcake icing cap, looks great...For a fresh wet hopped beer I thought the aroma would be exploding with yummy hops, its shockingly muted. Malty caramel, a touch of musky hops, that its, boring!...The taste is equally muted and boring, no flavor. Tastes like a watered down ipa, a quarter ipa, three quarters water. The finish brings a little more hops, nice bitter finish.

Pretty easy to drink, but no flavor, a Bud light IPA. Can't believe this is wet hopped. I would pass on this, MAYBE if on tap.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%

Aroma is loaded with flowery and earthy fresh hops. The malty backbone is mildly detectable.

Taste is fantastic, by far the best wet/fresh hop ale I have ever had. So many of these beers are rubbish and this is fantastic. Loaded with fresh earthy and floral tastes but at the same time it is perfectly and wonderfully balanced by the simple malt makeup. This beer is so simple, yet delicious. The hops totally own this show but never ovberpowering or heavy handed.

Overall I am very impressed with this beer. I enjoyed it much more than I expected, since I've generally been a bit disappointed by wet hopped beers, but Terrapin is by far my new/current favorite brewing company.

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green from Terrapin Beer Company