Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Availability: Fall

Added by mcallister on 08-05-2010

Reviews: 179 | Ratings: 461
3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bomber into a HotD Tulip on 2/23/11.

Pours a medium golden amber with a finger of head of off frothy white head. After the head dissipates it leaves the littlest of fine white lacing.

Smells of fresh citrus hops but the smell is not as strong as I had hoped it to be.

Taste does have a strong hop presence but the malt really stands out in this one. The taste actually reminds me of a really fruity barley wine that was just bottled and the hops are still kickin around.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. For a fresh hop IPA I expected it to have more resin after taste left in my mouth after the swallow but this has almost no after taste at all.

Drinkability is moderate. Its a good beer but I don't find anything spectacular about it. It does have a good ABV for a good round of drinking(6.6) but Terrapin would have to do some tweaking if this ever was turned into more then just a one off. It could however be a very good choice as a base for a IPA/DIPA tasting.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

On draft poured into a snifter. This is the Challenger version.

A: Orangish-red colored body, looks like an apple color. Transparent. Head is creamy, Quite not so white. Looks absolutely delicious, and lighter bodied for style.

S: Smells like a barelywine as far as alcohol content is concerned, just not as dominant or overbearing. Extremely clean smell like a freshly cut red apple. Undertone of spicy hops but nothing to kill your nostril.

T: Wow! Doesn't hit the palate immediately, but after a Brooklyn minute an unique hop presence shines without having a typical lingering bitterness. I get a gummy hop taste that is very different; I usually associate gummy with malt notes, like bready/biscuity. Reminds me of gummy bears.

M: The hop presence is very warm and wet, almost sticky. Bitterness is up front, more from the carbonation, then transitions to mellow, lightly spicy hop notes that are one of a kind.

D: Excellent brew. I know this is really fresh which helps with the review; the whole point of the beer is too drink fresh to enjoy the fresh hops. One-of-a-kind that will broaden the pallets of hop-heads:)

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Amber color with a slightly red tinge, off white head that goes away after a few mins and leaves fair lacing.

S - Some floral hops with sweet malts mingling a touch of citrus but not much.

T - Sweet bread and caramel tasting malt up front gives way to floral hops that have a touch of spice, not very bitter, needs more hops and less malt imho.

M - Light to medium on the mouthfeel with low carbonation, doesn't coat mouth like you would hope but is not bad.

O - While the beer tastes good i am dissappointed in the absence of hop flavor, more malt taste than hops in a wet hop ale shouldn't happen.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber poured into imperial pint glass.

A- Dark, bright, clear orange. Two fingers of light, fluffy head.

S- Tons of fruity hops. Mango leading the way gives a more sweet than bitter smell, although the bitterness isn't pushed completely aside.

T- First off, this is more DIPA than IPA, in my opinion. Fairly strong bitterness coats the tongue, with that fruity sweetness from the smell washing over it. Finishes with a strange sweet yet bitter hoppiness on the back of the tongue.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated.

O- Not bad, but not great. A hop bomb of a single IPA, for sure.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green appears a surprisingly light brown/yellow. The head is a very light foamy cappuccino color. Its retention is good, but the lacing is average.

Its aroma has some bright citrus fruit notes, along with a slightly piney hint. For what the beer is, I expected a much bigger aroma.

The taste starts off with little flavor, going into the mid palate it does become far more complexed. It is very well balanced as the malt sweetness gives a nice balance to the beginning of the hop onslaught. The finish finally lives up to the billing of this IPA. It has citrus and piney bitterness and is to the edge of overwhelming, as it continues to play on the palate for minutes.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side, but the carbonation is light.

Overall, Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green is very well balanced and drinkable. Although it is as hoppy as expected it is surprisingly sessionable. I gave this beer a try because I have never had a "wet hopped" beer, so I would suggest it to anyone who has not tried one as well.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 10/16/10

Poured into Sweetwater IPA pint glass

A: Orange, almost peach in color. Shines in the light. Finger of pretty head. Collar sticks to the glass with a bit of lacing.

S: Oranges, apricots, sugar coated grapefruit. Grassy esters linger.

T: Like a beautiful field in the summertime. Floral taste, bright citrus notes. Woodiness. Mild bitterness and lemon rind.

F: Not much hoppy prickle, and a very clean mouthfeel. Light. Not as creamy as Founders.

D: Great, and I think the bomber is a good serving format, because one is just enough.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

22oz bottle that my girlfriend got in a case from her beer club at work. We ended up splitting the bottle. Only date on the bottle is "2011 Challenger Hops".

Copper colored beer that poured a two finger off-white fluffy head. As the head went away, it left behind some nice sticky lacing.

Light grassy hops with some tiny notes of lemon. Sweet malt seems pretty prevalent to me.

Surprisingly malty for the style. I'm not saying that it wasn't hoppy, because it was. There was a grassy and spicy hoppiness that was nice and mellow, but I was expecting it to be a bit more pronounced. Is it because of the hops used? Is it because I waited so long to drink this fresh hopped ale? I don't know. Either way, meh.

Standard body and carbonation for an IPA. The finish was nice and clean.

This was a big let down in the hop department, and that was the biggest surprise to me. It was easy to drink, so I have to give it that. I'd try it in the future if they end up brewing this again and changing the hops, but until then, I don't plan on buying another bottle.

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer has a deep amber color with foamy, but quickly dissolving head. Good lacing. As for the smell, hops are evidently there, but they're not terribly overwhelming. Some citrus. Taste-wise, I was expecting a little more pizzazz. There's a muted bitterness to this medium bodied beer, but it didn't blow me away. In my opinion its still a slightly above average IPA, maybe good for a change of pace every once in a while, but nothing that would drag me away from my current favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

bomber to pint glass

orange/straw hazy hue with a cream colored foamy head. lacing is def noticeable.. smell is caramels and malt taste is malty with a sneaky intrusion of some mild hop flavors, then it is gone, and the flavor is back to malt. this is a little over carbonated for my taste, not a huge huge fan of this..

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

2012 Citra Hops Version... Had the 2011 didn't like it that much, but didn't get around to reviewing it... Looks nice hazy orange copper color... Nose is strong piney and citrus very evident. I really like the smell. Flavor is very bright... citrus, orange, hop bitterness is there but a very fresh clean flavor... Doesn't leave a lot on the back of the tongue like most ipa's though these fresh hop beers tend to not be as bitter... I really do like this years version pick one up if you see it around.

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

A: Coppery amber in color. Medium size creamy white head about 1/2" thick. Some light lacing. Nothing major.

S: Piney and citrusy. Some sweet breads notes. Really nice and fresh.

T: nice mellow hop character. Hops are up front followed by a smooth bready characteristic. Again really nice.

M: Smooth, refreshing and crisp.

O: Sometimes your not looking for a punch in your face hop character. If your having one of those days this is your beer. Excellent. I'd recommend.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Any time you can get your hands on a very fresh Ipa or DIPA you almost have to try it.

Poured amber/copper, decent head
smell - floral, didn't hit me like I thought a beer this fresh would but a nice smell.
taste - very clean, good hop hit, not too malty at all, which I like.
Mouthfeel - a lot of carbonation, light/medium mouthfeel.
Drinkability on this one is very high.
I think that my expectations were very high. I think this is because this beer is packaged like a DIPA, it's in a bomber with a Feb. freshness date. Even though I knew going in that it is an ipa with 6.6%. All in all, I liked it and if I were out and they had it in a bottle or on tap I would not hesitate to jump on one.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Oured from a bomber into my trusty Sam Adams perfect pint. Pours a dark / golden brown. Smell is not too strong. Small amounts of floral. No citrus. Taste is spot on for a fresh hop. Not overpowering in the hop department but enough hop presence to make it satisfying for the hop lover. Well carbonated and easily drinkable.

A good beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

bomber poured into a pint glass

A - super clear, medium golden, well-carbonated producing a nice head, solid lacing

S - citrusy hops, but not nearly as overpowering as I was expecting; smells a touch sweet, too

T - hops are definitely there, but balanced out by a malt backbone; this beer tastes better than I remember it when I first had it a month ago, but it wasn't ultra-hoppy then, either; fairly sweet

M - fairly high level of carbonation, not much aftertaste

D - easy to drink, but not super-memorable or noteworthy; think hoppy pale ale, but not too hoppy

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a nice light amber color with a nice little lacing as the head dissipates. Smells of fresh citrus and piney hops. Taste is of fresh pine hops with citrus notes. Not too hoppy, perfect for a ipa begginner, and refreshing for an IPA veteran. Mouthfeel is slightly high in carbonation. Oily residue left on the palate allows you to continually taste the fresh hops. Drinkability is among the highest for IPA's ingredients are perfectly balanced in this one. Terrapin, you are very quickly gaining my respect.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a golden honey color with a small fleeting head. Not much lacing. Very enticing citrus aroma. Smooth feel. The scent was deceiving. It made me expect a stronger citrus hop flavor, but hop profile had more pine notes to it. A little bitter and the strength of the hop flavor weakened with each sip. For me, this So Fresh, So Green was just so-so. I like IPAs so enjoyed it, but wouldn't search it out again. (8.0) (Note: affixed to the bottle was a sticker "correcting" the ABV content--6.6% vs the 8.6% on the bottle. First time I've seen that.)

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

Little darker than I expected. Aroma falls flat for me on this one actually with some alcohol in the nose. With the wet hop variety i don't necessarily expect overpowering hops in the face. Little bit of sweetness would be a good base were there more hops here. There are some pleasant green notes behind this. Mouthfeel is full and could drink a bunch of these but I probably would find something else.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Terrapin's "So Fresh and So Green", on tap @ The Brick Store served into 4oz tasting glass. Poured a darker than gold hue, kinda cloudy, with a small off white 1/2 finger head. Smells of VERY faint hops, slight malts, really not much on the nose here folks. Tastes very weak, very faint hops, not much here either. Overall a very mild IPA, kinda reminds me of Dundee's IPA. I'm really not that accustom to wet hop IPA's, but i truly believe that this is just not a good example of the style. A mediocre IPA at best. Thumbs sideways here.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this beer on draught at the J. Clyde in Birmingham, Al.

This beer pours clear amber brown with a thin off-white head that dissipates into tiny 'soap suds' around the rim of the pint glass.

Fresh, wonderful hops consume this beer with aromas of pine and citrus.

The taste has a hopcentric nose with a hempy citrus taste. This is balanced slightly with caramel malt, but the finish is still bitter with notes of fresh bread.

This beer has a light-medium body with good carbonation to accentuate the hoppy bitterness that is the focal point.

With a lower alcohol content, great hoppy, bitter, piny, citrus goodness, and a great body, this beer has very high repeat drinkability.

Overall, this is a solid IPA by the kids at Terrapin. And of course with a name like "So Fresh and So Green, Green," how could anyone not like this beer? Way to go Terrapin crew!

4.64/5  rDev +27.1%

Had on tap the other night at Pinocchio's in Media.

A - Poured a nice light amber color with some decent carbonation. It was poured with a small one finger head, which remained for quite a white. Left a pretty solid lacing on the pint glass as I drank.

S - Amazing!! Such hoppy goodness! Awesome piney hop overload scent. One of the best smelling beers I have had in a while.

T - Almost right up there with the smell, this beer tasted great. The hops practically punch you right in the face, and you will love it!

M - Good solid mouthfeel, the hops give your tounge a nice little tingle.

D - Pretty good drinkability for such an agressive IPA. I was really surprised this beer didn't have better ratings, I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

1.96/5  rDev -46.3%

Bottle bought from Sam's at the pre-WBF party.

A - coppery clear pour. Very small head that dissipates. No lacing to speak of (first warning).

S - Just...bad. For a beer called "So Fresh and So Green Green" it neither smells fresh nor green - very, very little hops in the aroma at all. A little biscuity malt and the faintest whiff of hops. As the score says, I am not impressed.

T - more of the same, but somehow worse. No hops. This beer can't be that old, either for the new batch. Drainpour. It had no hops and very little malt - just watery.

M - eh, it was ok. Carbonation wasn't off or anything.

Overall, just bad. I sincerely hope it was just this bottle. It's gotta be, right? There's no way they'd put out this kind of beer with no hop presence.

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I wanted to get my hand on this one when it first came out finally found it just wish I could have had it fresh.

A: Poured a murky amber with a small tan head that dissipated quickly.

S: Little to no Hop smell came through to me, but a lot of maltyness.

T: Taste was the same as smell very little to no Hop flavor. I am hoping this is due to the fact that this was a little on the old side by the time I found it.But the malty flavor that came through was very smooth and tasty.

M: A medium bodied smooth drinking beer that was a little heavy on carbonation.

O: I wish I could have tasted this fresh cause I probably would have tasted a completely different beer, but that is what I get for buying an IPA that was released about 8 months ago. Just couldn't pass up a Terrapin Beer that made reference to Outkast.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Pretty good, not great, but solid for a fresh hop. It doesn't stand out but it isn't awful. Call it a fairway fresh hop that runs in the middle of the pack.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Pour: deep burnt orange. Well constructed tan head breaks down slowly. Light effervescence.

Nose: light malt clean citrus notes as nuance. Little cream.

Mouth: the hops are softer more feminine and impart a 'planty' earthiness that's nice but still a little light for my liking. The hops play well with fruity esters.

Very nice. Terrapin is always trying to step their game up & that's awesome.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a growler. At 1st the beer seemed slightly unbalanced and muddled but after a 2nd glass (and some food) this beer grew on me a bit. Developed into a nice round feel, toasty malt notes, sweet citrus flavors, and clean bitter finish. Better than average but not as good as some of the other local beers I have had lately. Better that the "3.75" rating I gave it but not quite a "4". The slight "grainy" aftertaste holds it back for me. Otherwise another great fresh offering from GA!

Terrapin So Fresh & So Green Green from Terrapin Beer Company