Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout | Terrapin Beer Company

Alströms:

firstprev| 2476-2500 | 2501-2525 | 2526-2550  | next → last
Ratings: 2,546 |  Reviews: 627
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Bulbman for sending me this recently out of the blue. Nice black color, smells like a bit of chocolate, rich. the taste is strong dark chocolate flavor. This is pretty good and very heavy on the chocolate flavor almost one dimensional but still good. I probably could not drink a six pack of these but one bottle went down no problem.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On cask at The Busy Bee served in a standard pint glass a deep opaque black with a thin head that slowly diminishes to a ring and leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice subtle amount of milk chocolate alongside roasted malts. The taste is a nice blend of roasted malts, milk chocolate, and smooth lactose. The beer is quite light and smooth with very mild carbonation. This is a very enjoyable and unique beer, I can see myself drinking plenty of this during the coming months!

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

A - The body of the beer poured a deep, dark brown...once the pour was finished there was a one finger, tan colored head...it faded into a bubbly ring...some lacing was left

S - You need to let this one warm up a little to get the full aroma...there's chocolate in the nose...creamy and roasted...a touch of sweetness is apparent

T - Well the taste does not live up to the aroma...the chocolate comes off as overly roasted...it's not terribly bitter but it's not sweet either...there's a touch of lactose as this is a milk stout but it's more subdued than other milk stouts...the roasted touch comes back to finish things

M - Medium bodied...slight creaminess, roastiness stays with you

D - Well, for me this one did not live up to the hype (or at least my hype)...for one it didn't taste like chocolate milk...the chocolate was there but it wasn't as forefront as expected...I feel there are better chocolate stouts out there

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Olive and Sinclair, the supplier of the nibs, is literally two blocks from my house, so looking forward to trying this effort from Terrapin's collaboration with one of my favorite chocolate makers.

Pours deepest brown to black, with scant brown highlights around the edges, and a one-finger brown head that settles into a thin layer of suds. Nice, clingy lacing as the beer is emptied.

Nose has a nice, clear mocha quality to it. Cocoa nibs come through, but not as cocoa powder or even chocolate - instead, the cocoa is nutty, a bit roasty, hinting at coffee. The roasted character of the nibs is certainly there. Lactose is there too, fairly prominently, adding a bit of cream to the mocha effect.

Taste carries the mocha and lactose notes from nose even further. Crisp, nutty, lightly roasty, with the chocolate part of this beer playing a fairly minor part in comparison with the milk aspect. Light coffee and nutty, dry cocoa pair with the prominent lactose sweetness adding an almost tangy, milky sweetness. Certainly interesting, though the chocolate aspect is certainly more subtle than most probably expect with the beer labeled as it is.

Mouthfeel is somewhat full bodied, crisp carbonation that doesn't overwhelm, and a full finish carrying notes of both lactose and the cocoa nibs. Slight stickiness, I think from the lactose.

Drinkability is fairly nice, though also pretty unexceptional. Perfectly pleasant, decent beer, though the lactose quality may be a bit prominent, even for a milk stout.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Purchased 3 6-packs at Beer Depot in Murfreesboro after reading they sold out quickly in Atlanta. Had planned on buying it in Georgia while traveling through on the way to FL.

I've had 5 bottles at this point and am ready to give a really positive review. I really like the look in the glass. A deep black with a thin tan head.

There is a great burnt coffee aroma on the poor and a nice bitter chocolate aftertaste. Decent bubbles in the mouthfeel.

After my first bottle I texted a buddy in Asheville and told him to buy it and drink it ASAP.

Another great Georgia brew. Thanks Spike and John

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked up a 6 pack down in Atlanta on a recent trip. Am hoping/guessing it makes it up to Nashville soon...

A: Poured into my Tiffany Crystal Beer Mug. Dark brown. Not completely black but very, very dark brown. Just like you'd expect in a good stout. Not a lot of head when poured from the bottle.

S: The smell on this one isn't what sets it apart to me. Doesn't have the strong nose of, say, a Founders BFast Stout but does have subtle sweet chocolate notes.

T: It is exactly what it says it is. Sweet, smooth, creamy, milk-chocolately deliciousness. Man, I love it. One of the best Milk Stouts I've had in a while...if not one of the best ever. Absolutely delicious!

M: Just about right. Lingers just long enough to allow you to appreciate the sweetness and chocolate. Not a lot of carbonation at all.

D: Really easy drinker. I think I could probably do about 3-4 without a problem both because of the smoothness and ABV.

Overall, this is an awesome beer. As I said before, I hope it makes it to Nashville soon because I'll definitely be buying more. Great job Terrapin!

Thanks to Blake for the sample. Having grown up in the Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink generation, when a bottle of that chocolate milk-ish concoction was a special treat, I was curious to see how the brewer played this riff. I will admit, something about the rather creamy, lactose sugar mouthfeel did call the drink to mind. Nice balance of sweetness against just a bit of acidity. Well-moderated chocolate notes and a pleasant bitter-chocolate finish.

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%

Comes out of the tap an opaque coffee brown with a thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Aroma is strongly of roast coffee with a firm hint of dark chocolate and a hint of brown sugar. Flavor has tones of quality coffee and sweet milk chocolate - drinking this is like drinking a fine cold mocha. Texture is silky smooth and ragged on the edges. It leaves a nice tingle and a lip-smacking mocha finish.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up a couple of these recently after anxiously awaiting its release. I must admit that Depth Charge was one of my favorite releases last year, so I was very interested in this one.

A - Pours nearly black with minimal head that quickly takes cover.

S - Rich smell of the nibs that stays pretty consistent even as it warms. For me, I did not get a more noticeable chocolate smell as it warmed, stayed pretty consistent throughout.

T - I really liked this. If you compare it to say Chokolat it is not nearly as overpowering. Moo-Hoo is chocolate for sure but not overly sweet. Not a bitter chocolate which I am sure that some will like and some may not. The lactose allows this to be smoother, less chocolate forwardm and without any bitterness.

M - Very nice. I think that they got this one pretty much right on. Not overly rich but not extremely thin or watery either.

D - For non-stout drinkers, this would be the perfect entry beer. At its ABV level, this one is quite sessionable.

All in all, it is not Depth Charge but then again it was never going to live up to that one if you had normal expectations. I think that this is a really solid offering and would make a great session stout that you can enjoy without reaching for the Tylenol the next morning. I am definitely going to get a couple of sixers of this to have around for the holiday season. Another great offering by Terrapin.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Grabbed a bottle of this at Redlight Redlight in Orlando, FL. Terrapin is definitely one of my favorite breweries in the Southeast.

Appearance: Between a very dark brown to jet black in color.

Smell: Not a very impressive nose. Chocolate was the only prevalent aroma I could gather.

Taste: For the genre of beer that it is, I found this to have a good balance between the taste of chocolate milk and stout. I think that the sweetness has a great balance - neither to much nor to little. Definitely a crowd pleaser for those who are giving stouts a first try. I thought the finish reminded me of a similar taste of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate after the sweetness fades.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied for a stout, creamy, not too complex.

Drinkability : Definitely could have a couple of these, but not necessarily a "kill-a-six-pack" kind of beer. Great for dessert though!

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Grabbed a sixer of this on my way thru Nashville and decided to have one for breakfast this AM...

Into my Yazoo pint it goes... 98% black with hints of brown around the edges when swirled.. Small head... Seems adequately thick in the glass..

Sweet roasted malts with the fudge aspects I was hoping for. Chocolate isn't totally dominant though... The roasted malts are the star.... Gets more cocoa like as it warms...

Nice and creamy and smooth as silk on the palate... Terrific chocolate maltiness taste here... Not cloying at all like most of them usually get towards the end with me... No booze present at all either... Super tasty...

A very sessionable sweet stout... I could easily have another but I'm going to have to wait til later... I liked this one quite a bit and will revisit this one until its gone...

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

On cask at FireFlies in Alexandria. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours black with a single-finger head and not too much lace after the head recedes, which was quite quickly. A good swirl didn't bring much back. The nose was pretty one-dimensional with some light, sweet chocolate.

The taste brought more chocolate, which started to come out more as the brew warmed up. However, again it was pretty one dimensional. At the same time, the flavor was quite nice for what it was. Nothing over the top. As it warmed, an ever so slight roasted character came. The mouthfeel was simultaneously a bit creamy and fairly light. It worked, especially with the low alcohol. Quite sessionable and drinks pretty well.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, low head retention

smell: subtle chocolate, not powerful

taste: well defintly cocoa flavors but not as much as expected. not sweet... good! It's a pretty light stout, very easy drinking. alcohol of 6% well hidden. just lacking bold flavors.

mouthfeel: thin for stout, creamy

drinkability: well a solid offering but I have to say it was a let down only because i placed very high expectations on it. It's probably one of the most sessionable and smooth drinking stouts I have had but it lacks the bold flavors I wanted. Will probably hit this up multi times though.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Pours a dark chocolate body with a tan head thin lace.

S- Smell of cocoa nibs and chocolate and dark malts.

T- Tate of chocolate from the malts and cocoa nibs. Sweet taste of lactose sugar and even a hint of vanilla.

M- Creamy and smooth with chcolate flavors all over the place.

D- Very good stout. Love how the chocolate taste and smell in this beer. Worth another drink.

Cheers...

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Dark Brown with a thin tan head.

S: Sweet Chocolate malts. roasted coffee. vanilla bean.

T: First impression is like wow this is chocolate milk. but then the flavors start to separate into roasted grain flavor, burnt bitter chocolate. sweet cream. very good. would be awesome on nitrogen.

MF: silky and creamy. minimal carbonation. heavy body.

D: excellent 6% ABV beer that doesn't feel like it. Perfect for the winter. starts to warm after a while. Another great Terrapin brew.

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Standard Six-Pack - $8.99 at Uncle Jacks Spirits in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours an inky-looking, black body with a tall, churning, dark tan-colored head.

Smell: Roasted barley scent with flourishes of Breakfast Blend coffee, chocolate ganache, caramel, and nuts. Dash of half-and-half. A lone minced prune. There is ample chocolate on the nose, but it seems mainly reserved for the flavor.

Taste: Well roasted malts, with noted black coffee tones and sweet, sugary caramel accents and a splash of wholesome whole milk followed by a big dollop of Smucker's Chocolate Fudge. Undercurrent of dark fruitiness. What bitterness is present seems to be coming primarily from the roasty mix of malts. Smooth, dark chocolate and cream stirred up into coffee finish. As I'm sitting here, in between typing up this quick snippet, chatting TheLibrarianGirl via AIM, and downloading music, the chocolate is really riding out well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Near-full mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Nicely velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I dug this one, I can definitely see myself springing for a second six-pack. Plenty of chocolate presence though nowhere near as in-your-face as Southern Tier's Choklat. Yeah, it's no Depth Charge, but Moo-Hoo is good in its own right.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Inky black, capped with scant cappuccino-colored head, leaves little suds of lace.

S - The nose is mostly roasty and slightly hoppy, in a green leafy way. Neither chocolate nor milk are apparent in the aroma.

T - Roastiness and chocolate milk up front, chocolate covered raisins or Chunky bars on the finish. There is a bit of smokiness that lingers. This is a phenomenal example of the style, the second best I've had. (I had the best one earlier this afternoon, ironically... FFF Moloko.)

M - Lighter of body than it appears, it is easy drinking.

D - I find myself gulping this brew.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

A - like you would expect, a chocolate stout is dark and creamy looking. A little head. Looks great!

S - Sweet smell. Mild chocolate smell, but the stout overwhelms the chocolate

T - A very tasty stout with a chocolate aftertaste. Very smooth, I thought it would be more chocolatey, but am pleasantly surprised that the chocolate is just a hint

M - Smooth. Low carbonation.

D - very enjoyable! I will be buying this beer again.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

A nice little extra from gford112, he managed to load me up with a lot of brand new GA area beers.

I was most geeked over this beer. Its the first one from his box that I went for.

A- A nice dark tan head comes in the form of a froth. Retention is modest and lacing is spotty.

S- Woah, this is how I hoped it would smell...Nearly. Lots of gourmet chocolate and creamy milk. The beer is not lost in the sweetness, in fact it leans in favor to a roasty bitterness in the nose. The aroma could benefit from being turned up a notch or two in intensity. There is a spot where it seems that two smells are coming together to create a soap-like aroma.

T- Way chocolatey. Its truly a treat. Dry, powdery cocoa mixed with rich creamy milk. Its very close to its namesake, a glass of chocolate milk. It deviates from the childhood drink as it hints at roasted malts, just barely. Like the nose, the flavors here dont seem to have reached their full strength. Everything thats here is fantastic though.

M- It could use a kick in body as well. The very low carbonation helps it though. Still its incredibly smooth and silky.

D- This drinks too dark easily. Partly because the flavors and aromas seem to make me wanting more intensity. At any rate, this is a superb beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Terrapin pint glass. Purchased from Total Wine Perimeter in Dunwoody, GA.

A - Looks almost like a deep shade of red when I was pouring it into my glass (might have been because of the light), but it's a deep shade of brown with an extremely small amount of tan head.

S - A sweet, cocoa aroma. I was expecting a little more from the smell with it being a milk stout, but it seemed fairly one dimensional.

T - Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. I want to describe it as having great balance, but I definitely tasted more chocolate than the "milk stout" part.

M - Smooth is the word that comes to mind. Malty and slightly creamy.

D - Incredibly so. I wanted another one, but I had to show restraint. I'm glad I bought two six packs. Looking forward to this beer every winter season if Terrapin continues to brew it.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

The pours yields a transluscent, dark brown stream that collects into a completely opaque brown in the glass. Mild brown head with a bit of lacing.

Nose consists of roasted malt with a healthy dose of cocoa. Not the strongest aroma ever, but definitely there - benefits from warming (obviously).

Taste is excellent. Roasted malt with cocoa and sweetness. It's not chocolate, per se, but more of a powdered cocoa taste. There is a roasty overtone, but it's not dominant and leaves a mild aftertaste. Also picked up a sort of dark fruit note underneath, with a surprising taste of alcohol. I'm impressed by the depth of flavor in this beer. If this was a hefty imperial, I'd be disappointed - but for only 6%? Top notch.

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is spot-on and the body is medium. All in all, extremely easy drinking.

For people hoping this will be a Depth Charge clone, it's not. They're not even remotely similar. The first beer that comes to mind when I drink this is Young's Double Chocolate - but really, they have vastly different flavor profiles. It's only because of the sweet stout + chocolate similarity. I'm not sure if I can consider one "better", but Moo-Hoo is definitely a more interesting beer with additional complexities.

Plus, the Moo-Hoo price is top notch. $7.99 for a six-pack? Fantastic. It doesn't get much better than that for a good craft brew.

firstprev| 2476-2500 | 2501-2525 | 2526-2550  | next → last