Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Terrapin Reunion Beer 2012 | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Dark Imperial Ale Brewed with Cocoa Nibs, Cinnamon, Vanilla, and Natural Flavors.

Added by pixieskid on 07-28-2012

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: Dark/reddish brown color with not much lacing on the glass

Aroma: Vanilla creamy smell, cinnamon, spices

Taste: I picked up on a mixture of caramel, nutmeg, vanilla... it was a culmination of creamy and spicy flavors. Taste is very similar to the aroma here

Mouthfeel: Lighter mouthfeel than I expected; I would categorize it as light to medium

Drinkability: Decent drinkability, but wouldn't drink more than one or two because of its creamy character

Overall: Different than most other beers I've tried of this style and I really enjoyed the interesting blend of flavors

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Served in an Olde Hickory shaped-glass.

A: Poured a dark, dark reddish-brown. I only say reddish because I got a good bit of ruby in the color. The head was about a 1/2 finger and was lean and mean.

S: Lots of dimension here in this brown: First of all, I got the cinnamon right of the bat, along with the vanilla, which gave it its dessert flair. I didn't really get cocoa nibs per se on the nose, but the nuttiness could be interpreted as that.

T: The cinnamon and vanilla are AWESOME in this setting! Seriously, to hell with the cocoa, those are the flavors that really make this brown. I also got a good bit of cinnamon on the tail end, which reminded me of a Christmas Winter Warmer.

M: Like I said, this one is cinnamon heavy, so if you don't like that spice, you might not like this beer. Fall-like and/or Christmasy in its disposition. Dessert-like, but not too rich, with very little to no lacing.

O: I can't think of an American Brown Ale I've ever had more fun drinking. Cheers Terrapin and Schmaltz!

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A 22oz bomber released 1 time.

A - Brown, with a small amount of head, and no sticky lace. It looks like molasses. However, I give it bonus points for a ton of white sediment floating around in the glass

S - Cinnamon, vanilla, other spices. Smells outstanding.

T - Like the aroma, cinnamon and spices, but nicely well balanced. Vanilla in the aftertaste, but just the right amount. Nothing overwhelms. They all blend in together perfectly.

M - Medium body and lots of carbonation. Sizzles, with cinnamon and vanilla, oh my

O - An excellent beer! The best Terrapin Reunion yet by a long shot. Well done! Looking forward to the '13 release in a few weeks

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours light brown with an ok white head. The smell is cinnamon, cinnamon and more cinnamon. Luckily I really like cinnamon, but if you don't, forget this beer. I personally like the burn than the cinnamon provides but the taste might get a bit old quick. Definitely enjoy this beer, maybe more of a winter brown. The thing I hate about these reunion ales every year is that they are all different, good, but can never get again.

Terrapin Reunion Beer 2012 from Terrapin Beer Company