Terrapin Liquid Bliss | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Porter

We always love a good experimental brew here at Terrapin, but the salty-sweet combo of peanuts and chocolate has us all salivating a little more than usual. This brew, while smooth and mellow, still manages to challenge your tastebuds. The porter base is dark and smooth, with enough backbone to support the richer chocolate and peanut butter additions. It’s even dry “peanuted” with brewery-boiled green peanuts! Here’s to the candy-loving kid in all of us!

Added by TerjUGA on 11-13-2012

3.8

Reviews: 229 | Ratings: 1,508
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz brown bomber, sample from the brewery.

Mmmm ... artificial flavors.

Good lacing on this dark brew, some processed jelly and powdered peanuts in the nose and on the tastebuds. Roasted malts and a hint of cocao nibs balance out any sweetness that tries to go to far. This is simply a flavored beer, I get that you want to be all wacky but cheating with so many flavorings ... artificial flavorings at that. One and done, there are better PB&J beers out there.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On draft at Capone's on 8-26-2016. Dark, deep brown color with small off white head. A moderately rich porter with artificial tasting flavors. Nice, but I prefer my porters straight up. Here in the northeast the porter style is brewed thicker, richer and roastier without added flavors. Price is rather high for the style, would not seek it out.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

“Natural and artificial flavors”, hmmph. Not a great beginning to this, another attempt at a “chocolate peanut butter porter”. I’m ever hopeful some brewery is going to adequately capture the palate joy that is a Reese’s, but I know it’s also a tall task.

Appearance: Pretty much pours black, with only a hint of ruddy ruby. No lace to speak of, either.

Aroma: Some bittersweet cocoa, and a touch of saltiness. Not bad.

Taste: Odd and off, with some of the bittersweet cocoa and the peanut butter saltiness, but the overall palate sensation isn’t all there. It’s drinkable, but doesn’t contain the right balance and feel of the chocolate and peanut butter melding as I’d hoped for. I expect pretty solid beers from the dependable Terrapin, but this one doesn’t quite make it.

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass at about 45 degrees

A: Has a deep brown coloring to it with little light visibly passing through. as it pours, its a dirty murky color that doesnt really appear too appetizing, little head to speak of.

S: Dont know if it was the bottle or what, but this smelled like skunky raw earthy peanuts and raw malt liquor. Nothing blended well and it wasnt sweet at all.

T: Taste was mild, raw peanuts, slight cheap chocolate on the back end. Not sweet at all like I was expecting from this....again, beer may have been a bad batch?

M: Medium mouthfeel like I enjoy from porters. It was very easy drinking and has a good light oily feel that coated the mouth.

O: I just expected more. Maybe my expectations were high as I really was hoping for a liquified Reese cup and I got a cheap, sugar free peanut butter cup that was dropped in dirt and cooked with the reject peanuts of the batch. I'm aging my 2nd bottle to see what happens.

3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not objectionable, I guess, but I'd never buy it again. For this style, I'd rather be drinking Sweet Baby Jesus (and that's not a favorite either). Weird sweet-plasticky aftertaste-- like how my old Strawberry Shortcake dolls used to smell. Not offensive, but not what I want in my beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Too much gimmick here for my tastes, was disappointed relative to other Terrapin offerings.
Poured dark brown almost black. Head was thin and dissipated quick
Aroma was wonderful, chocolate and peanut
Taste was the letdown, as I said earlier, the chocolate and nut flavor seemed to fight with the malt
Mouthfeel was full bodied, carbonation seemed light to me
Overall I like porters, but there are better offerings. Drinkable if you like gimmicks

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I don't know if it was reading that there are natural and artificial flavorings added that turned me off from the beginning, but my experience with this brew left me wanting more. The peanut butter flavoring seemed to be the artificial part as it fully enveloped the porter. The color was dark and inviting and the feel smooth, but I couldn't get past the unusual peanuty flavor that seemed too forceful. I was expected subtle hints of salty, earthy, peanuts, but this brew seems to incorporate JIF instead

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks ordinary; dark brown in color with a foamy cream colored head. Aroma was nice. I actually get some of the peanut butter aromas. There is also some slight chocolate. Flavor profile lacked what punch the aroma provided. Mildly reminiscent of the flavors on the label, but all in all, lackluster and poor. Chalky and thin on the body. Not the best beer from Terrapin. In fact, I opened a Founders Breakfast Stout and mixed about half of it with the remaining Terrapin beer to make it enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Not too overly impressed, even though this brew came highly advised. If you are not a fan of hazelnut... I advise you to make another choice because all I can taste is hazelnut. The only redeeming quality is that there is no lingering taste of any kind. I hate hazelnut... so for me, this was a waste, and at that... a six-pack waste. I will say though, it's not bad enough where I cannot drink the rest.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Dark with a medium to light tan froth, minimal lacing

S - A lot going on here with the chocolate, peanut butter, and malt

T - Seems like everything is fighting instead of being..."Bliss"ful, sweet and bitter

M - Full bodied

O - It's okay but experimental, would need to be in the right mood

3.31/5  rDev -12.9%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours dark brown with a tan head that dissipates quickly. A little bit of lacing. Looks good.

S - I was hoping to smell peanuts and chocolate, but I'm left disappointed. Smells like any other porter. Caramel.

T - Good porter tastes, but once again no real peanut flavors, very very faint chocolate. Caramel, a little bit of alcohol.

M - Feels like I'm drinking a pilsner. Very dry, no "coating" of the mouth.

O - I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I'm a huge Terrapin fan and this is the first time I haven't loved a new release. I don't see this run being brought back. If you're a big Terrapin fan or porter lover try it's a decent pick up.

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a single into a nonic. Tar black with a thin khaki crown that is gone in a minute, no lacing. Very peanuts and a little chocolate and roast on the nose. The taste just doesn't fit the smell.
Peanut butter, yes, but also some off notes.

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appears darkest brown with thin light tan head.

Smells like, you guessed it, peanut butter and chocolate. The pb is more pronounced, and I sense some hops for balance. Candy-like without smelling too artificial.

Taste resembles aroma, with the hops more apparent on the front end. More bittersweet chocolate, especially through the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and almost chalky. Coupled with the flavor, this one is slow going.

Overall, not a fan. I'm not sure what segment of beer drinkers this is geared toward (I'm guessing those who do not actualy like beer). Still, I get curious, but this one will be the last one. Tick.

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint

I drank this over two sittings. First one, I had the beer at cellar temp, ~50 degrees. Didnt chill it, poured about a 4oz pour. Hated it. Finished the pour and thought very seriously about drain pouring. However, I've never drain poured a craft beer. I basically refuse to do it. I've only disliked one other beer this badly before (hint it tastes like raspberry white wine and everyone frikiNG loves it...) Anyway, as I did with the prior instance, I put a wine cap on the bottle and put it in the fridge. Letting the beer oxidize in the fridge for 24hrs, sometimes it helps...

I took it out of the fridge tonight, a day later, and its much much better. Review is based on tonight's experience

A - Looks quite standard. Brown/black, tan loose foam, produces an inch or so of head that dissipates quite quickly.

S - A good amount of roasty peanuts. Some chocolate. Not much else. I want to give it a higher rating, because it really does hit the target quite well. Peanuts and chocolate. At the same time, its a novelty. There's no "peanut beer" style, if there were, this would be a 4.5. But, its a porter, so 3.

T - Hits the target really well. Peanuts and chocolate. Not super chewy or pronounced flavors of either one, but I'm not sure how you could really get a thick presentation of peanuts in a beer. The chocolate is a little thin, but comes through in the front, the peanut is more of an aftertaste almost. Think, you just at 2-3 dry roasted peanuts and then took a tiny sip of a Guinness. As a normal beer, this would be a 3-2.5, however, it really does do a good presentation of the peanut and chocolate. Its not really a combo that does well in beer, but this does about as good a job as could be, I gave it a 4 just because I dont know that you could do this a lot better.

M - Maybe if it were thicker, this would be better. In my mind, this would be a super thick, like Marshal Zubkov type thickness. If you could get these flavors in that thickness, I think it could be quite awesome. As it, thin, bubbly, meh.

O - Glad to try it. Would buy it again to share with beer geek buddies just to stretch, but would not buy it for myself.

M

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Drinks thin and watery with cocoa and peanut butter flavor that doesn't,t marry all that well. What even is essence of peanuts, according to the website.
The porter aspect is missing like mouthfeel and maltiness that is common to many porters.

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is two fingers high, and lighter tan in shade. Retention is fairly decent. The creamy texture leaves behind webbed lacing on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Oh yeah, this smells great. Tons of milk chocolate, tons of roasted nuts, lesser dark chocolate, lesser general roast, and a goodly amount of hazelnut. These kinds of beers are always the same: killer on the nose, meh on the taste buds. I anticipate the same deal here, but wow does it smell great anyways. (4.25)

Taste: Aye, it's a definite step down. It opens up nicely with dark chocolate flavor, while the back end is loaded with notes of roast, nuts, and roasted nuts. I'm definitely getting a hazelnut vibe, albeit an artificial one. And therein lies the problem: it blatantly has a chemical tone to it. At least the gist of this beer (chocolate and peanut butter) is shown off nicely. (3)

Mouthfeel: Rather thin for the style, with decent carbonation poking through the semi-creamy body. As such, it goes down easily, even with the sweet linger. (3.5)

Overall: I could just smell this all day. Tasting it, though, is a different matter entirely. It's EXACTLY the way I anticipated it to be: smells awesome, tastes meh. This has a definite mainstream appeal, so I can't be too hard on it. (3.25)

3.38/5: Worth a try, just don't expect it to taste like it smells

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Light creamy fizzy head, fades almost instantly, very dark but bit of light coming through.

Nose nice peanut butter, roasted peanuts, bit of toasty and light powdered chocolate, light bready.

Taste is sticky syrupy sweet almost a mess of molasses sugar. Peanut butter again, light toasty nuts, very light watery powdered cocoa, light nutty and touch of bread. Thin but syrupy. Finish is dry but watery and light sticky, light bitterness and watery chocolate and but of peanut butter.

Mouth is med to thin bodied, decent but lighter carb.

Overall interesting to try, nice peanut butter flavors, but just way too thin and watery, and choc even tastes watered down, and it has that molasses sugar mess flavor which also adds a bit of meh.

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

After avoiding the last half-dozen or so Side Projects due to my lack of interest in their styles, I was so excited when I heard that this one, a peanut butter chocolate Porter, would be their next release. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit my local shop.

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Drank this one alone. Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a thin beige head. I can hear this one fizzle and pop away, and before I know it, there isn't a trace of lace left. Underwhelming nose - chocolate, dry husky grains, and a bit of molasses. I expected a bit more potency.

After watching the frothy head dissipate so quickly, I thought this was going to be a bubbly mess. But really, this has such a pleasant creamy feel, and a perfect silky finish. They really nailed the mouth feel on this one. The flavor profile, unfortunately, also leaves me wanting. A good milky chocolate flavor starts this off, but sadly, also holds up the middle, and then closes it out. The PB presence, if any, is faintly noted in the aftertaste. I expected and wished for more PB flavor, but alas, I am let down. They really pulled off the chocolate part of the equation, but fell short on the PB part, which I think intrigued most people into buying this. I can get a chocolate-based Porter any day, so this really isn't anything special.

A decent beer, but it doesn't deliver as advertised.

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours decently dark brown, with a bit of light passing through at the edges. The beer pours with a bit if head, but not much, and it barely lasts at edges. The smell is almost all nutty in nature, peanut butter or Nutella.

The taste is more bitter with normal roasted malt notes than you would guess from the smell. The taste is like a deep-roasted hazelnut coffee. However, I expected a little more body, it's actually a tad light. The finish just sort of dies off, as well. This does improve a bit as the beer warms, as the peanut butter starts to come through in the end.

The nose is the best part of this beer, unfortunately. The beer isn't bad, but it's just a normal beer. Enjoy it for that.

3.42/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 12 ounce glass into a snifter.

Beautiful chewy khaki-colored head over an ebony body. 5

Chocolate milk and peanut butter. Sweet and creamy as an aroma can possibly be. Slight hint of earthy hops. 4.25

Initially, I'm thinking this beer's taste would remain true to the nose, and it does, but in a fleeting sort of way. Peanut butter like flavor is apparent and there are still undertones of chocolate as well as additional touches of caramel and vanilla, but everything seems like food where the seasoning was added late, rather than marinating for ages. 3

The body doesn't help this brew at all. It's simply too thin, so the brew simply slips over the tongue rather than sticking about the mouth. The carbonation is right on and it's neither overly sweet nor bitter, but the thinness disappoints. 3

Can't add much. Okay brew that left me wanting a lot more.

3.42/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mocha black with a lightish tan half finger of head. Decent Lacing down the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and peanuts, almost like a peanut butter cup candy. Some coffee and roasted malts also.

Taste: Nutty, sweet, not much chocolate. Hard to explain but the nut taste is almost artificial and just doesn't taste like a peanut or peanut butter should. Its not bad but not what I expected. Wish that it smelled as good as it tasted.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew falls short. Very watery, moderate carbonation, but this beer feels so watered down that it just seems like i'm drinking peanut/chocolate flavored carbonated water.

Overall: I'm a big fan of chocolate porters/stouts and when I saw this I just had to try. I really hoped that this brew would be as good as the idea sounds, but was disappointed in the final result. I would not buy again unless the watered down mouth feel was fixed and the recipe was changed so that the peanut butter taste actually tasted like peanut butter.

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Dark brown with light tan head.

Smell - Definite chocolate on the nose. Almost no peanut.

Taste - Plenty of chocolate malt flavor with an afterpalate of peanut.

Overall - Not a regular choice, but interesting idea. I'd buy this in a sampler. I do love a good porter! Talked to a few folks when buying this and they suggested a few other peanut butter porters. I'm intrigued to do so now.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A: pours completely jet black, there a slight film that is created worth of head (if you even want to call it that) with very minimal lacing.

S: chocolate, nutty, smokey/burnt malt, with a strong creamy lactose in the background. pretty

T: dull and basic. subtle chocolate, and huge amount of nuttiness. also a strong lactose sugar in the finish.

M: so much water! this is way too light and if there was a bit more viscosity this could be a much better brew. doesn't leave much on the palate either.

O: glad to have tried this brew out as it sounded very intriguing. but Terrapin missed the mark on this side project.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L-Very dark and bubbly. Almost no head that dissipates to a rim hugger. Looks almost like a cola.
S-The smell isn't very strong. But I do get solid notes of chocolate and peanut butter for sure. Sweet malts too. Just not that intense of a smell.
T-Roasted malts and hops for sure. SLIGHT peanut butter flavor. But hey, where's the chocolate?
F-I like the mouth feel. Thick and very carbonated.
O-This beer wasn't bad at all. The smell was the best part to me for sure. As of everything else, it was pretty mediocre. The flavor just wasn't that special. Before I drank this beer, I expected the flavor to pop but it didn't at all. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed because I enjoy Terrapin's brew. I won't seek this out again.

3.44/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slightly sweet darker ale with a wine like texture and quickly disappearing head. I appreciate a beer like this that doesn't over emphasize the flavors they're trying to get across on the label.

Terrapin Liquid Bliss from Terrapin Beer Company