Terrapin RecreationAle | Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin RecreationAleTerrapin RecreationAle

Terrapin Beer Company
Georgia, United States
terrapinbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Heavenisbeer on 07-02-2013

Reviews: 86 | Ratings: 669
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Bronze, cloudy, 3cm head with lacing and Greenland floating in the middle.

Smell: Piney and clean-smelling with something almost like a citrusy-sour tinge. Probably because I associate Pine Sol with lemon.

Taste: Moderate bitterness/hoppiness mid-sip. Slight honey maltiness comes through as beer starts to warm and/or my tastebuds adapt to the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light, thin, taste diminishes fairly quickly. Very little lingering taste

Overall: Refreshing and sessionable. Ideal for hot months, given the lightness and thin mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This is an excellent example of an American Pale Ale. Poured from a can into a pint glass. Great color and aroma of citrus. A very enjoyable warm weather brew. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Canned 6/19/14 at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma very piney
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2 mm layer
Lacing poor – few tiny islands and small atolls
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor light piney hops, quickly dying; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.75, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5. Final weighted score: 3.6
Good beer! Easy to drink and very refreshing.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. can. served in a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: White, foamy, two finger head that remains for a while. It has a cloudy bright yellow color.

Smell: It has a faint, floral hop aroma that is noticeable but not overwhelming.

Taste: Very balanced, with nothing really standing out. There's some grain, bread and malt notes. There's also the citrus hop flavor that while subdued, gives this beer it's distinct refreshing character.

Mouthfeel: It has body but it feels light and refreshing and goes down smooth. Medium-high carbonation with a clean finish.

Overall: A perfect substitute to your adjunct lager of choice. It's fresh, with a good aroma, taste and character; yet it remains very easy to drink with nothing overwhelming going on in the nose or palate. Add it to your list of must-have beers for hot weather.

Sampled this during a beer tasting, poured from can, not sure if a can is the best offering but it was what they had.

Appearance was light amber, clear, good lacing head dissipated rather fast.

Aroma was definitely pine resin,

Taste was very average , and somewhat boring. I could taste the pine, but not much else.

Mouthfeel was a little on the astringent side for me, not bad, just very mid range

Overall, I believe this is considered a session beer, I wouldn't refuse one, but I probably would prefer some of the other Terrapins.

2.11/5  rDev -43.1%

Nope. Never again. Got this one for the road as a single at the beer store, and instantly regreted it. Nothing to it, just a not very good beer that I will not try again. Cheap but gross... that's a choice you will have to make, there is always keystone light.

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have had a lot of this one..time to finally review it.

A - Cloudy golden/yellow with no clarity. 4 fingers of head! Wow. Lace and head never recede. Looks great.

S - Malty grain and a touch of hops. Not much going on in the aroma

T - A very tasty hoppy session IPA. Slightly bitter but well balanced with the grains.

M - Well carbonated and light bodied.

O - An excellent session IPA. Perfect for a day in the sun.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a cloudy gold with red tint and decent head and lace. Piney, citric hop aroma takes hold of my nostrils with just a little bit of maltiness. Beer is simple, light and definitely lives up to name as a session beer you can relax with and have multiple times. Little bit of breadiness keeps the citric hop profile balanced and there is also some minor sweetness at end of each sip. Goes down easy and is a beer that is worth trying.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drinking out of the can so I have no idea what it looks like but is imagine orange with thin white head that flees. Aroma of citrus and fresh pine. Tastes of pine, light citrus, some grass and not much else. Light in body with light carbonation. The flavor profile beckons for something sharp to stand out. This beer is unthinkable, which is what makes it really good but also what makes it forgettable.

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: A cloudy yellow in color, with a nice finger of off white head at the top that left a little lacing around the glass as you drank it.

S: Lots of citrus and hops on the nose with some biscuit notes to as well, the malt came through on the tail end.

T:Almost exactly like the nose with lots of citrus and bready notes throughout, some good hops gave off the bitterness as well.

M: Light bodied and medium carbonation.

O: Not a terrible beer, but not one of Terrapin's better beers, easy drinking for sure.

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Nice, mostly clear golden pour. Frothy, thick head. Looked heavily carbonated with a good amount of bubbles.

S: Not particularly aromatic. Heavy hop scent, with a a bit of citrus. There's something else in it though on which I can't quite put my finger. Bear with me on this one, I'm still developing my smell descriptions.

T: Hoppy up front, but the hoppiness quickly dissipates. Not particularly malty. After the initial taste it becomes quite mild, but that doesn't detract from quality.

M: Very carbonated. The beer is a little on the thin side.

Notes: I am quite happy to have tried this beer. It's quite light for the level of hops. It is definitely more versatile than I thought that it would be on first try. A good summer beer for those looking for a hoppier ale.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Big white head. Doesn't last long. Settles to a thin collar.

Smell - A variety of hop aromas. Tropical fruit. Orange citrus. Minimal malt.

Taste - Less intense hop flavor. Grassier and more herbal. Grapefruit. Cracker malt.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Drinkable. MInimal bitterness.

Overall - There's not a lot to it, but it is very drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a really good beer. Also props to the fact that it comes in cans. Please start doing this more, especially for summer guys! We want beers we can tote easily and throw in a cooler without the damn label slipping off and causing that nasty glue water mixture. Also, cans are better for the environment because we can crush them and it takes less space in the recycle area, and it just tastes better if done correctly. So props to Terrapin!

It is one you can drink very easily. I enjoyed it on a warm spring day. I have had other beers from Terrapin and I really need to give them a good analysis again. I was not ready for what I got at the time, but maybe try them again. I was impressed by the taste of this one for what it was. It was hoppy but clean, had a nice floral component and just the right amount of carbonation. I would definitely take this one on a camping trip. I think it was appropriately named. Its a quality beer and the price was fair and you could tell that it was made with good ingredients. Overall this is a solid beer I would not say outstanding, but its way better than average.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Terrapin Recreation Ale has a very thick, foamy, off-white head, a hazy (powdery sediment, suspended throughout), yellow-gold, bubbly appearance, and lots of lacing left behind. The aroma is pineapple, hop resin, and sweet malt. Taste is of the same, with moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Terrapin Recreation Ale finishes semi-dry, easy going, and refreshing. It's good, but the whole style has become depressingly ho-hum. Been there. Done that.

RJT

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: A very hazy straw-colored body with some good lacing. Small head that dissipates very rapidly. Also, the can design and all is brilliant.

S: This smells really good. Tons of hops in here. Lots of pine in there. There is an interesting background scent here that I can't really place, but not a bad one.

T: Has the characteristics of a session IPA, but then that characteristic APA body kicks in and subverts the flavor for me. There is just something about APAs that even in this hoppy form seem kind of weird. I can see why they named this style Pale. I got a sense of Deja Vu here for some reason when I took another sip/whiff. Oddly enough I get some lager notes, and it kind of reminds me of Citra Mantra a little bit.

M: Pretty prickly, lots of carbonation.

O: I picked this up because people said it was similar to session IPAS, but I think there is a very distinct difference between a hoppy IPA and a low ABV IPA, it all has to do with the base flavor that each one has.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up after someone raved about this in one of the forums. Could session beers have been the topic? Possibly as this would qualify. Out I the can, a gentle pour is required to keep it from going overboard. Hazy yellow gold with good head retention. Aroma is citric and piney with light tropical fruit. Very representative of the flavor. Immediately, the light body is noticeable, but flavor is not sacrificed. A touch of cereal malt holds it up. Yep, it's drinkable, and I can only imagine how refreshing this might be when having fun in the sun. Keep it in mind when nicer weather finally arrives.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours mildly fogged. Real frothy head on an aggressive pour. Nice citric bite on this with an accent of hop spices. Consistent flavor. I like this one. Very easy to drink. I guess that's why there was only one can left when I saw it on the shelf. Can highly recommend this one.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2014-03-09 in Columbia, PA

A - Somewhat hazy golden-orange with a 2-finger white head that sticks around with nice lace.

S - Pine, hop floral, light dankness, citrus, touch of biscuit. Very pleasant and fresh smelling.

T - Danker than the aroma, pine, grass, toasted white bread with a light dab of lime marmalade, white pepper and a goodly amount of citrus zest bitterness. Finishes dry. The citrus-bitter aftertaste lingers briefly and then clears.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Crisp and a bit prickly.

O - Very nice aroma with tons of flavor. I prefer a bit less dankness and more caramel malt in my session IPAs (like 21st Amendment Bitter American) but I would happily quaff this anytime.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can (11/5/13) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - An aggressive pour out of the can yields a slightly hazy, pale golden color body and a big, thick two fingers of rocky white head that leaves massive sheets of lacing on the glass.

S - Big grapefruit aroma up front, juicy and fruity. Nice medium hop bitterness, light accents of pine, light biscuity malt, faintly sweet at the base.

T - Nice clean hop bitterness complemented by a smooth grapefruit citrus flavor and hints of pine. Firmer malt presence than in the aroma gives the beer a very even balance. Light malty sweetness, lightly grainy, lightly biscuit - a reserved malt profile, but one that provides enough body and balance to make this work as an all day drinker.

M - Medium body with a soft low/medium carbonation. Smooth and easy drinker.

O - For a can with a little under 4 months of age on it, this pale ale still has an assertive hop presence full of citrus and pine. Very smooth with a just potent enough malt character. This is a very easy drinker - I would definitely keep some of this in my fridge if it was local to me.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like this brewer, and I love sessionable hoppy beers in a can like this one, which is closely related to my favorite of this style - Boat Beer by Carton.

A: Pours clouded apricot amber, under a 1 finger white head, that leaves lace dots for a light beer.

S: Hops sweet and high-noted: lime, ginger and mostly pine hops. Inviting.

T: Follows the smell. Easy drinking pale, with citrus, ginger and again much pine. Excellent juicy, fruity, yet drying finish. Packed with flavor.

MF: Good for a light beer, juicy and excellent finish.

I challenge you to beat this beer or Boat Beer in a 4.7% ABV. I'd buy this by the case. I hope it's as good for me as it tastes, and will also make excellent black and pales.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottom of can says 09/26/2013.

A- Pours a dark golden color with a full two-finger sudsy head that retains well before steadily collapsing to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full bubbly sheet of surface foam. Non-resilient sudsy lacing.

S- Has a green apple aroma that I usually find in Belgian pale ales but this has no yeasty backdrop to it, just mild hops.

T- Solid bitterness upfront that's not too overbearing or lingering but lacks character. Just bitter for bitter's sake, which is fine I guess. Also not a whole lot of malt presence.

M- Sharp and a bit dry with medium-high carbonation and a lightish body.

O- I get what they're going for with this. It's a hoppy yet sessionable pale ale but it could use some more malt backbone to offset the bitterness. Drinkable enough, but not worth revisiting when there are beers like Founders All Day and Lagunitas Daytime. They did a better job with Easy Rider than they did with this one.

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Can, poured in snifter, with a huge fluffy white billowing head, which thins out after a few moments and leaves behind an opaque layer and some lacing. Pale orange yellow, I'd say cloudy but holds light well.

Smells a bit musty, with mellow citrus and pine hops also present, which all intensify as the beer warms up a bit, always getting better.

Taste is somewhat similar; there is an added sweetness that creeps in, which I like.

Mouthfeel is smooth but also dry and crisp, which is unique to me.

Overall, it's all a bit heavy for me to actually session, every aspect points to the notion that this beer should be heavier, but it's only ABV 4.7, and I suppose judging it on those merits, it's not my favorite session IPA. It's drinkable but I can't see myself spending a day, for example, downing one after the other. Certainly worth a try. Cheers.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

A- Semi hazy, light amber with active carbonation in the glass. Poured a thick 2 finger head. Awesome lacing.
S- Tropical/floral notes up front. Bready malts and a little pine round it out.
T- Follows the nose pretty closely. Light citrus/floral up front, followed by a cracker-like breadiness, slight pine, and a touch of lemon.
M- Medium body, but on the thicker side. Not overly creamy or oily, but has crisp carbonation. Drying with lingering bitterness.
O- This beer was crafted to be a session IPA, and it has definitely achieved that goal. Super light and super drinkable. It screams summer time and days on the lake.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, packaged on dating on the bottom of the can. (7/30/2013=not super fresh)

Pours clouded medium amber, under a looser off white head, that leaves nice looking film and some delicate low sheeting.

Lime, ginger and piney hops on the nose.

Easy drinking pale, with more citrus, more ginger and more pine. More then respectable sessioner. Dry finish with more of the some notes I got on the nose and in the first few sips.

More quality beer in a can, nice.

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dang it, I CANnot remember where this CAN came from! I may have scored it locally in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but I have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that says otherwise.

From the CAN: "Camp [-] Bike [-] Partake [-] Hike [-] Paddle"; "Wrap your hand around a [CAN] of our RecreationAle and explore what outside life has to offer. This hopped up session ale is specially formulated to accompany you on all of your outdoor activities. Pack in this flavorful ale and pack out the memories while enjoying this quaffable brew."; "'Taste the Great Outdoors'"; "rec.re.a.tion.ale [(Adjective)] (of or pertaining to) the action of unplugging to venture into the great outdoors where your smartphone [CAN]'t access the Internet, but you CAN connect with this hopped up session ale."

I CAN tell you that I am not leaving the comfort of my kitchen to CANduct this review! The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and now it was time for the inverted Glug. I have become masterful at sensing when to back off on this type of pour and this was no exception. The dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head came right up to the lip of the glass before stopping and beginning to fall back, leaving great lacing in its wake. Emboldened, I resumed the pour, bringing the head right back up. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5) and the Three Amigos, Midas, Croesus and Mammon were across from me, licking their lips. Nose was filled with pine-like hops and now my mouth was also watering. Mouthfeel was medium, fuller than I expected from a "session ale" and the taste was quite hoppy, enough to be sustaining for a self-avowed hophead. Finish was dry, but not gasping. Would I take this on an outdoors excursion? Sure. It might beat the heat without all of the alcohol and that CAN't be bad, CAN it?

Terrapin RecreationAle from Terrapin Beer Company