Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

2011 Reserve Amber Ale | Endeavour Beverages

Reviews by magnusdave:
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

A lot darker in the glass to the 2010 (tasted side by side). Again a good persistent off white head. Very cloudy, almost opaque.

Lots more going on aroma-wise with the 2011. Change of hops to Topaz noticeable. I'm not getting the resinous notes promised on the bottle but the earthy spiciness is there. Not so much malt.

The malt is there on the palate but the hops really drop off. Not sure if I'm disappointed about that or not. It is quite glugable if not super interesting.

Reasonably high carbonation.

A bit conflicted over this one. As I said it's easy drinking but a little one dimensional.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

A: pours a dark amber color with a moderate head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Mild aroma of citrus with some malt sweetness.

T: taste of roasted malt, some caramel sweetness, witha bit of citrus in the background. Mild bittenress and a clean finish.

F: Fairly moderate body, smooth with a decent balance.

O: Enjoyable beer, good for a couple.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle from Woolworth's. From notes.

A - Pours a cloudy dark copper/brownish colour, film light brown head, good carbonation, little lace and a film of retention.

S - Dark fruit malt, grain, crackers or bread, caramel.

T - Caramel, dark fruit, sugar, hops are there for balance and keeping it from being too sweet. Earth and mild spice.

M - Nice carbonation, medium body, sweet raisiny sorta finish. (4)

O/D - A pretty decent amber ale. Easy drinking and flavourful. Drinks much bigger than 5.2% Not bad.

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark amber mahogany - one finger head dies quickly. Looks good while it lasts.

Aromas of malts, toffees.

Taste of rich malt, toffee, caramel, some honey a hint of brown sugar. Biiig taste. Almost into Barleywine territory. (!) No significant bitterness. Toffee flavours start to dominate as beer goes down.

Nice and thick in mouth. Medium carbonatiom

OK - I'm surprised - I saw a lot of negative press about this in 2010, and whilst I doubt it would age, it is a Big Beer for ABV.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Sometimes in life we're lucky, sometimes we don't. I was lucky that my brother in law brought me this beer from Australia and drank it with friends, the bad luck was the Fantôme beer we drank that day. Nice amber coulour with a thin beige head. A lot of malt on the nose, the caramel is dominating, some fruitness is somewhat present. The caramel is omni present in the mouth with barley sugar candy. Rich and medium bodied amber ale. 6/10

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - 4.0
Pours a centimetre of cream coloured head which quickly recedes to a thin layer over a clear of ruby red to brown - one of the reddest beers I've seen, lambics aside.

Smell - 3.0
Light aroma of earthy, spicy hops and dry husky malt. Trace aromas of burnt sugar and toast.

Taste - 4.0
This is very much a malt-driven beer, flavour wise it's more of a Northern English Brown Ale than an American Amber, though much drier than Newcastle. Flavours of toast, malt loaf, slight saltiness, quite savoury, hops are earthy and spicy with suggestions of stewed fruit. Lingering finish is dry, this is a very complex beer.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Moderately carbonated, medium to full bodied.

Overall - 4.0
First I have to say that I'm surprised I'm only the second person to review this beer. Secondly... what a great beer! This is truly the sort of beer that should be celebrated in Australia, yet I have hardly heard a word about it. I drank it on its own (as I always do when reviewing) but I think this would be brilliant with food, particularly red meats and strong cheddar cheese. The only real downside is that it's a little too dry, but this probably makes it all the better with food.

2011 Reserve Amber Ale from Endeavour Beverages