Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Defroster Winter Ale | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

3.58/5
Good

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
Oregon, United States
cascadebrewing.com

Style: Scottish Ale

"Winter Defroster is the fire orange color of our seldom seen winter sunsets. At 7% ABV our Holiday cheer, Defroster, is proof against the winter chill. Brewer's Gold, Fuggles and Goldings hops harkens us back to the height of summer."

Added by Thrasher on 11-12-2003

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

First had: on tap at Cascade, Portland, OR

Wasn't too impressed with this one, I must say. I believe it was labelled as a winter warmer, not a Scotch ale, but my notes don't mention it, so I'll just roll with it.

Poured a ruddy brown color with a small patchy head. Not too much in the aroma; notes of sweet malts, maybe a hint of smoke and roasted nuts. Tastes of caramel, nut husks, and a subdued earthiness. Medium body. Pretty average, but fairly drinkable, I suppose. Definitely left me craving some more of Cascade's sour beers.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.66/5  rDev +2.2%

An easy drinking winter warmer built on a solid malt platform that teases the palate with spice. Defroster is a clouded cinnamon color with a light sudsy head that soon departs leaving a coliseum of lace. It is well balanced with a solid hop profile that touches upon mint. The slightly gritty mouthfeel didn’t bother me at all.

3.97/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a dark brown beer with flecks of red, with small head and small lace. The malts are strong and sweet, with a light smokiness. Subtle hop twang brings beer to a fine finish. It was served a touch too cold; the pint got tastier as it warmed. Very authentic tasting Scottish ale, if not as warmingly peaty as the best examples. The sweetness is well balanced, the mouthfeel quite smooth. This beer reminded me of a doppelbock, which may be due to its one-year storage time before it was tapped. The age has refined the beer and made it very drinkable especially for the style. Not quite strong enough to be a Wee Heavy but close.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

$4.00 / Pint @ Chuck's 85th Hop Shop, Ballard, Seattle. Mild lace thin white head. Pretty light amber color. Hoppy no peat floral front. Minimally sweet mild textured not malty no smoke amber IPA body. Clean minimal hop spice crisp balanced end. Tasty but not Scottish to my taste.

3.67/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -5%

It was fine. Not disappointing at all. Easy to drink. Kind of light in my opinion but very flavorful. kind of an awkward combination. I think the alcohol content was good but it lacked bite. I guess i was hoping for something a little lighter. It had a lot of body in my opinion.

Defroster Winter Ale from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub