Cascade Apricot Ale | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
Oregon, United States
cascadebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This NW style sour blond ale was barrel aged for up to nine months, then aged on fresh apricot for an additional six months. Aromas of sweet apricot blossoms and tart fruit are present as you draw the glass near. Deep, rich apricot flesh, then tart apricot notes dance on the palate and lead to a sweet apricot flesh finish with a lingering fruit tartness.

Added by ccrida on 04-18-2008

Ratings: 1,735 |  Reviews: 294
4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. This is the 2011 project.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, orange-heavy amber and leaves a couple fingers of fluffy white head that dissipates very quickly. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rushing towards the surface.

Smell: Strong apricot upfront, also a fragrant vine-like smell, which makes the aroma very interesting. Perhaps a hint of funk, but very little funk is present in the smell.

Taste: Apricot and that same vine-like, slightly perfumey fragrance show up in the taste. This is followed with a slightly acidic sour flavor: green apple, lemon and sour apricot. Finishes with some oak. The sour is fairly mild - this is a well balanced, tasty brew.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Finishes surprisingly smooth for a sour.

Overall: Very well balanced and tasty. This is a well-crafted apricot sour. Being my first beer from Cascade, I am very impressed and will definitely seek out more from them.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

2009 bottling per the label, courtesy of mrand01 from our in person trade yesterday.

Pours a nice deep golden honey color with a thick cream colored 2 inch head on top and plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles.

Aromas begin quite lactic and acidic with plenty of fruity smells; apricot obviously but it also almost smells like peaches. I've heard apricots smell and taste like peaches when added to a beer. The sourness is def also present like fresh green unripened apples with a hint of oak barrel.

The tastes begin with sweet apricot immediately met with sour acidity. The oak and fruit provide a fair amount of tannins which dry out the beer quite a bit; pretty sour but not overly so that becomes a sipper or you need a glass of water.

The carbonation is quite high on the mouthfeel and the beer is very dry, especially on the finish, which I like in this style. Less sweet and quite dry; the way a fruity Belgian Flanders should be. Crazy high drinkability for 9.0%ABV. Not that I am going to but I could pound this if I had to; carbonation might slow me down but just saying...

Overall this is my first Cascade sour and I couldn't be happier with it; also my first apricot sour. Very enjoyable but just like all sours I will only really crave/want them on these crazy hot summer days when normal heavy beer is just undrinkable. Do I have to drink this again, no, but would I, definitely. Blows all that crap Lindemans brews way out of the water.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden colour with a tiny white head. Fair head retention.

Rich fruity apricot aroma with some great peachiness. Love the rounded character and the limited sourness.

Slightly sweet with just a touch of sourness. Nice fruity character and the apricot really comes through. Stunning.

Medium light body with moderate carbonation. Puckering.

A great beer. Solid fruit flavour. Love it despite it not necessarily being the perfect example of the style.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Fresh bottle in 2012 (2011 Project). Unibroue tulip glass. Pours orange with fizzy and quickly receding head. Smell is sour vinegar with a hint of citrus and apricot (as expected). Major sour flavor from beginning to end. Very slight fruit flavor that seems mostly overpowered by the sour vinegar. Perhaps this mellows and highlights the fruit as it ages? Light bodied with high effervescent carbonation. Just was hoping for more fruit. Way overpriced at $20 a bottle for what it is, but a solid beer overall. I think I just wanted more apricot, because the dry sourness is pretty awesome. Good beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Sliverx for sharing this bottle...

A: Pours a light cloudy yellow with orange hues. There is only a thin pure white head that fades very quickly. All that remains if a tiny ring of bubbles along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is tart and biting, with big sour notes. I get vinegar, mild apricot, and that oh so familiar Cascade scent.

T: It starts out crisp and apricot forward, but as it heads towards the middle of the beer, it tightens up and gets really sour. That Cascade yeast and vinegar flavor is unmistakable. The finish is sour and fruit. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's bright and pucker from start to finish. It coats the palate and dries up in the back end.

O: Very nice beer. You know it's a Cascade sour, and you know it was brewed with apricots. Can you really ask for anything more? I'd love to get me hands on a few more bottles and drink this a few times a year.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 750ml bottle thanks to SincereNC. Cloudy orange, almost brown. Smells quite interesting, sour yet not so fruity, not much funk either. The flavor was odd, slightly sour, slightly sweet, almost like a sweet and sour apricot candy but the apricot flavors were very, very subtle to me. At one point I thought it was a sweet pixie stick. I'd be interested to try their other bers but at $22 this would never get a repeat purchase from me. At $15 I could see myself buying this with some regularity. Craft beer prices have gotten a little too out of control these days when they are charging more than Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen for sours.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This smells precisely like dried apricot. Huge points for authenticity.

It tastes like fuzzy apricots. It's good. It's like...fruit juice with lactic acid.

Overall, really naturally fruity and delicious.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a hazy orange-golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of tart medium fruits - apricots and pears. Also present are hints of light and indistinct malts and even lighter hints of spicy oak.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off before being overwhelmed by medium fruit flavors - apricots and pears as with the aroma. The tartness is toned down a bit from the aroma but is still fairly large. Midway through the sip the tartness fades just a bit as oak flavors work their way into things. The fruit flavors take back over before a crisp and moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I was a pretty big fan of this beer - it's not my favorite from Cascade but for a middle-of-the-road beer from a brewery they're doing pretty well. Worth a shot.

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy orange color with a short head had that rests as a constant plate.
Nice deep sour aroma with notes of orange-lemon, sulfur, must and some funky lactic.
Quite Sour and acid taste with notes of salt (lots), lemon, apple vinegar, green apples and finishing with mild apricot. Dry and acid aftertaste.
Light towards medium body with tiny bubbles. Alcohol of 7.76% is absent.
This brew sure matured well (2011). A Sour with a delicate apricot background that is able to show intense acid and sour notes without producing awkward sensations.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

"Cascade Apricot Ale is based on our Temptor Triple Ale that has undergone over 8 months lactic fermentation and oak barrel aging. Ripe NW Apricots are fermented and with this beer for 3 additional months. This hand packaged and bottle conditioned ale will only get better with age...good luck waiting. Serve at 45-50 Degrees"

750 ml champagne bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, the Cascade Apricot Ale is a murky dark gold with a large off-white head that leaves moderate lace and some rocky foam. Served at celler temp.

Smell is bright sugary apricots with a dash of alcohol and slight hint of sourness.

Taste is very enjoyable, not nearly as sweet as the nose, much funkier. A decent balance between apricots and and lactic sourness, although the sourness is starting to take over, which is fine by me! Save for a bit of spiciness and slight phenols, the base trippel is long gone, although I always found it to be too malty and underattenutated, and much prefer this version, which the bugs really help dry out. None of the musty/horsehair you find in some wild ales, just pure lactic sourness. In fact, the brewers told me they didn't add any brett at all, just their house lactobacillus culture.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick, moderate carbonation and a dry, puckering finish, that leaves the teeth coated with sugar.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, this is a suitable champange substitute that even my non-beer drinking wife has indulged me with a glass or two. The booze is a bit heavy in the belly though, with a bit of a solevent feel cutting through the sourness, which, coupled with the high price, limits me to one bottle at a time. Still, as they suggest on the bottle, I've had a lot of trouble holding onto these to age. I think this is probably my fourth bottle, great to share with my wino friends to show them how diverse the beer world can be! I thought this was my favorite of the 3 they've recently released, although the Kriek I had yesterday slightly edged it out score wise, mainly due to the lower ABV/sugar/body. I still really love this one!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25