Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cascade Pas D'Anglais | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

4.25/5
Outstanding
1 Rating

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
Oregon, United States
cascadebrewing.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by msubulldog25 on 03-15-2009

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

10 oz. nonic at Baileys, Pas D' Anglais (not English!) is a bright brassy orange with a creamy off white head that leaves pretty nice lace.

Smell is pretty hoppy, a distinct citrus character, but you need to remember the character of even heavily noble hopped beers is not going to be as pungent as PNW hops - and that is just fine for this style.

Taste is nice and hoppy, a floral/citrus like noble hopping, exactly what I look for in the style. Nice bready malt backbone rounds it out, not overly bitter, fairly clean finish, some lingering hop flavor. There just enough alcohol character to let me know that, in spite of the unknown ABV, it's certainly not weak...I'd guess between 6.5-7.5%? Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, medium body. The maltiness leads me to believe this used little to no sugar, with the dry finish strictly a function of the ABV and attenuation (as it's not sweet). Frankly, this is where it ironically strikes me as being much more English then Belgian!

Drinkability is high, this was damn good. I'm impressed with the Euro style noble hops, probably a hallertauer variety, or maybe EKGs. Honestly one of the best commercial examples I've had. But like any hop-forward ale, the fresher the better, and most of the bottled versions have lost their hop mojo by the time they make it to my house. To bad I'm driving and can't have a proper pint, or 3!

Cascade Pas D'Anglais from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub