Cascade Bourbonic Plague | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
Oregon, United States
cascadebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

"This blend of strong dark porters was aged in oak, wine and Bourbon barrels, then blended with a dark porter that had been brewed with vanilla beans and cinnamon. The blend was then aged an additional 14 months on dates."

Added by Floydster on 07-03-2009

#936

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've wanted this beer for more than two years. Much to my grateful surprise, the most generous craft beer sage I know offered up and sent me one a month ago. He cautioned me with much warning that it was spectacular when he first tasted it when it was released and had it again recently and it's not what it once was. Still great, but not as great. I'm OK with that. I'd love to drive a Ferrari for the first time and have it be brand new, but I'd be fine with my first time being in a used one. Same thing, right? :)

A: I hate this category. It either looks right or it doesn't. Outside of that, a beer is going to look how ever the hell it wants. If a beer looks like shit and taste great, the beer looks damn fine to me.

S: I'm not sure where to start. It's as if I'm in the Olympics and I have the exact same best time in all the lanes and now I have to chose which lane I like best. Nough said!

T: Read the details of the beer. The only thing that seems to be missing is the cinnamon. For me, I'd love to taste it fresh to get it all, but that's the one flavor I'd sacrifice.

M: I feel almost the same about this one as I do "smell". If any detail should be addressed, my opinion is it's related to "heat". This beer is 12.1 abv. IMO, if you feel this and you think it's too hot, you need to stop drinking it immediately and call a real craft beer connoisseur so they can bitch slap you right after taking the beer from your hand. If the slap hurts, put on some lipstick to make it feel better.

O: Overall? Yes, please! If the above mediocre compiled thoughts don't give you an idea about how I feel about this beer, read it again. If at second you don't succeed...send me your cellar list so I can choose which beers you need to send me so they'll pour over much more snobby taste buds. :)

If any part of this review offends, aggravates, frustrates, etc...you in any way, please take a moment and think and consider this: it's my opinion, I'm always right...or wrong, and I consider myself a shitty writer. I'd rather take pictures of the beer; however, this one deserved more.

Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

2009 vintage.

Pours a murky brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with malt and bourbon aromas. Taste is much the same with fruit and bourbon flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and interesting.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle

A - pours an opaque very dark brown, a little rose color at the edge against the light. Gushed a little bit on opening. A medium pour produces about an inch to an inch and a half of loose large bubbles, dissipates to a very thin crown of bubbles.

Smell - kind of muted. Definitely bourbon, red wine, oak, sourness, touch of vinegar

Taste - damn good. Up front there is a big kick of bourbon, then the wine barrels, then the dry oak and sourness. It was interesting how perceptible and separate each of the flavors were. Finishes super dry with tannins and oak.

M - changed over the course of each pour. The first sip was a blast of wild carbonation, but letting the pour sit for 30 minutes, it flattened out to a very creamy low-medium carb. Didn't get syrupy like a lot of sours do for me.

O - If you like bourbon and sours, you'll like this beer. This was the first beer I'd had where the complexity was really pronounced as very separate and distinguishable flavor profiles. It really was a lineup of flavors that came and went distinct from each other. Not something I would want every day, but something I would gladly buy multiples of. I've never had this fresh, but I have to think that 3.5 years of age did it quite well.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%